Thread: Quiet, inexpensive, 14 cm deep PSU for media server?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Quiet, inexpensive, 14 cm deep PSU for media server?

Hello all.

I'm hoping you guys can give me some PSU recommendations for the system I'm setting up. I'm re-purposing an Acer desktop as a bedroom HTPC / file server / media server. I won't ever do SLI/CF on it or upgrade the mobo to be able to do so.

Biggest priorities are:
    1. fit in the case - 140 mm deep, limited by metal notch in case; don't want to mod the case or transplant the system
    2. low noise - hopefully using a low-RPM 120 mm fan; will be located near my bed
    3. very low PSU cost
    4. efficiency - will be powered up 24/7
    5. PFC - will be plugged in to a UPS due to crappy local power in bad weather

Specs, including existing and planned upgrades:
    - 35W A64-3500+, non-OC (will switch to some undetermined 65W X2 after July's price drops)
    - 4 GB DDR2-667, non-OC
    - 6100-based mobo
    - 1x PCIe 8500GT 256 MB, possible OC
    - 2x SATA-300 HDDs
    - 1x ATA-100 HDD in removable enclosure
    - 1x DVDRW
    - 1x PCI sound card
    - 1x PCI ATA-100 controller
    - 2x 92 mm quiet case fans

Some day I might add more internal HDDs, as I own quite a few.

I have read the thread at http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2397, but the PSUs mentioned are all a little more expensive than what I want to spend.

Could I get by with an Enhance 5130GH or Seasonic S12-330? (I believe they are both 140 mm deep, but can any owners confirm?) What are the major differences between the two lines? Are there currently any other low-noise world-beaters in that price range, or maybe even cheaper? If not, what's the best deal on something suitable?

I have a Corsair 520 and an Ultra XVS 600 that I would have thrown in there by now if not for the size limitation. I also have a Codegen 350 and an Allied 300, but I already have sinister plans for those POS.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In case anyone's curious, stock PSU is a Lite-on 300 w/80 mm fan that has a weird rattling on shutdown/fan spindown. I think it's bearing noise. A search on the model # uncovers no details, so I'd like to move away from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

efficiency, low price, pfc and quiet are a hard combination to find in one package. it'd help to know your location, but I'll give some newegg links in case you're in the states.

300w FSP Green

330w Seasonic S12

Antec EA380
    Rig 1: Phenom II X2 550-Asus M5A78L-MLX--2x4 Patriot DDR3 1333--Asus Formula HD4770--Enermax Triathlor 450--LG Flatron W2252TQ--Win 10 x64
    Rig 2: Core i3 6300--Asrock Z170M Extreme4--2x8 Adata DDR4 2400--EVGA GTX 750Ti--Corsair CX500M--Corsair Hydro H55--Windows 7 x64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Enhance 5136GH should be more than enough for that rig, as would the Antec EA380.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrWicked1968 View Post
    Newegg had those discounted for a couple weeks so I picked up a few of them. Unless you go huge on the video card, I think it will serve your purposes well. Manufacturer claims 80% efficiency, it's cheap (though was even cheaper), really quiet, reasonable quality and will "git 'er done."
    Zap
    Clan of the Bloody Fist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. It's good to see confirmation that this rig wasn't going to need much. Initially, I really wanted to cut costs on upgrades because of how little I spent on the stock desktop in the first place. But my mind's opened up a bit on the issue after reading through more of the forum.

MrWicked, I'm in Northern California (SF Bay Area).

That Fortron was extremely tempting at that price, but it seemed to lack a few frills that I liked about the Seasonic, especially the longer warranty. Same thing with the Antec, but the higher power rating on the recommended model was attractive in case I decide to do a little bit more with the system.

So, I focused more on Seasonic and Enhance units. Over at SPCR they imply that the S12-380 should have slightly better noise characteristics compared to the 330, so I looked for that and the 5136GH that funnyperson mentioned. I found the S12-380 for $68 total price w/tax + s&h, and the 5136GH for $56 total. Jonny liked the 5140GH so much that I almost went with the Enhance. The lower price didn't hurt, either. But ultimately I decided on the S12-380 instead, mostly because of all the nice Seasonic touches. For the $12 difference I'll get a presumably reliable 20 W rating premium, sleeved cables, and quick-disconnect Molex clips. Dunno about it being ~$20 better than the Fortron for my use, but the order's already gone through.

I think I'll definitely keep the FSP Green 300 in mind for a few other low-powered builds I'm thinking about (old P3s and Athlons as LAN media streamers for non-HD content and the like). Size limitation wouldn't be a concern for those, but quiet/inexpensive/efficient/PFC definitely still would be. Otherwise some of the other suggestions elsewhere in the forum would seem like winners at even less cost.

Thanks again, guys!