Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confusion and agony- The PSU compunction- ive always wanted to use that word-:)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking confusion and agony- The PSU conundrum

hello everyone, this is my first post, but before I start, I just want to say this forum/site is by far one of the most informative and useful sites I have ever come across, I know a bit about building computers, but have never been very technical, alot of times I have put components together according to price, and number of positive reviews. This time around I have really tried to sink my teeth in and make some really informed decisions. So for all intents and purposes I’m a noob, a young grass hopper 

Jonny all thumbs up for all of this (site , forum, reviews, links etc.) and all the users at what ever level, noob, enthusiast, pseudo-expert and experts, I am also great full for the questions posed and answers replied. I have read extensively and now have a better understanding of what is required and all the different approaches to PSU (multi rail/single rail etc), including tolerance and ripple etc. I still feel a bit lost so I thought id post some questions.

Wow, I just wanted to say well done- *cough* I will keep this short *cough* promise . I am trying to put together a workstation; I intend it to be a multipurpose workstation, so basically at core, has to be powerful to handle a wide range of operations. I intend to use it as an enthusiast level DAW (digital audio workstation), 3d box (I am only learning- so my demands aren't that demanding- errr!...you get what I mean!!!), video editing (again novice). I know its not practical, but I am not really dropping an insane amount of money on this, its more a tool to facilitate a super high learning curve i intend to go by. So I don't mind if it doesn't do everything to perfection, as long as it does most things very well.

Now what the box will comprise off, I am looking to build with the following type of components (this list is a guide, only the motherboards and CPU are 85% sure). It’s intended to give an idea about the loads and demands the power unit will be put under , also factor in programs like Photoshop, 3d smax, Maya, video editing suites etc, the demands and subsequent stress on the different hardware components.

The List

Tyan s2696 (Intel 5000x dual socket xeon- sas version)

Or

Supermicro x7da3+

2 Intel quad core-clovertown e5345s or other 5300 xeon

8 GB FB-Dimm DDR2 667MHz ram

PCI-E graphics card probably geforce 7900 series or 8800 series, maybe 2, if SLI is possible then in SLI.

Fire Wire 800 pci-e, pci-x card

PCI-E/PCI-X/Fire wire/USB 2.0 based DAC (Digital Audio Converter)/ Sound card

Raid Controller card

3-7 sata II 7200 rpm HDs between 400-750 GB

2 150 GB Raptors 15000 rpm.

Alphacool Water-cooling kit- CPU, GPU, Chipset (custom blocks to fit 771 sockets-still researching)

Depending on water cooling possibilities- there maybe 3-8 low rpm 80-120 mm fans (Excluding water cooling Radiator fans).

2 DVD-RW

Video editing kits (usb/pci-e or Pci-x/ firewire Decoder card, breakout box etc)

Now I have not provided specific models of the different parts, because this is going to be a slow build, I will acquire the parts one at a time over some months. I want a power supply that will fit the bill, the motherboard and psu have to be most stable and powerful, The PSU has to accommodate upgrades and future power demands, eg. geforce 8900, Future AMD-ATI cards, maybe even TECs (Thermo-Electric Cooler) if possible. I am contemplating the following PSUs. This build is meant to last until I am confident to use my new found skills and *cough*talent to generate income of some kind, so it will be a few years before I do a major overhaul.

Silverstone Zeus 850,
    PCP&C silencer 750 quad
    PCP&C TC1KWSR
    Ultra X3 1000

The Ultra x3 is the most bang for the buck according to reviews and specs etc. But it’s not available in UK yet, or I haven't found it yet on or off line.

PCP&C silencer 750 quad is a good unit and probably the most obvious choice but the rating at 40c is of concern, as the FB-Dimms have a reputation of generating alot of heat, that with the heat of 2 Xeon quad core (possibly overclocked), I wonder if the silencer might reach its 40c tolerance and start to under perform.

I also don't know if it has all the necessary connection for the motherboard, it has to be EPS12v/SSI, my understanding is it must have 24pin+8pin+4pin connectors- id prefer if these connectors are native- if it doesn't matter whether the connectors are native or not, please do tell. As far as I know it has all the connectors for native SLI/dual graphics card. And last but not least will 750w be enough power.

The PCP&C TC 1KWSR seems to be the perfect choice it has all the necessary connectors native, it has a 50c rating, has ample power and amps, it supports SLI. The only thing I might wonder about is the noise, I have read that it can be loud, even humorously compared to a leaf blower; I doubt it’s anywhere near as loud as a leaf blower.

My second concern is the price; here in the UK it is costs near £300 which is approximately $600- sounds kinda steep. And as I am sourcing my parts on the cheap- I mean really looking really hard for the best price/used and even gulp, refurbished parts-but refurb for things like DVD drives etc. I don't think the $600 price fits the bill, no pun intended.

The Silverstone Zeus, pleased the gods of my computer build endeavor, Good price range, good power, seems to be good OEM, unfortunately, I am bugged by it being multiple rails, and not so much that fact in its self, but because it is 18A on the rails, I don't know if the PSU will be compromised under heavy loads. MY only bone of contention is the 18a rails.

wow that was long, sorry I broke my promise, im a bad person , So to all the experts, pseudo experts, noobs and all in between, above and below, please recommend alternatives, let me know if my fears of the Zeus is unfounded, and if you know where I can get an ultra x3 in the UK please do tell.

Ideally I'm looking for a single rail (unless multiple rail psu, won't falter under the possible and potential load my Frankenstein meets Leviathan of a build will inflict/ demand). A 750w and upwards, enough amps (mainly for multiple rails PSU), not too bothered about Modular, wont mind but not really a requirement, Not be a leaf blower if possible, but can live with it if it is, be efficient. And last but not least, something less than $600, significantly less.

I know it is a tall order, but I do feel there is so much I still don't know, and so may not- correction- will not be able to spot a suitable PSU in the guise of an obscure brand or another brand period, like the CWT built thermal take or was it corsair etc.

I hope I will have an overwhelming response, thank you for spending half a day already, just reading my post and I guess thanks in advance for the second half or your day, to reply- haha cheers.

Finally its done- everyone happy- some :roll eyes: - im going to get a pint. and wait for the replies *cough*- *cough*.
    Last edited by tonetime; 06-20-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: overzealous- first post nervous- wrote too much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell of a good systems that you are building. I would have to say look at what I am looking at (Thermaltake 1000 or 1200 Toughpower...mod or non mod) or a PCP&C TurboCool. I don't think I would trust that system to a Silencer. Maybe a Zippy PSL850 PCIE4 or something of that nature?
    "...this Silencer is a lot less expensive and it has the PCP&C name on it so it must be 133t r0x0r raaaaaarrrr1!!!" -JonnyGuru
    Mobo------------Asus Commando
    CPU-------------L628B121-E6600(Bowed Apogee GTX)@ 505x8@ 1.53V Actual (Still Testing)
    Vid--------------BBA ATI X1900XTX @ 765/900@ 1.550/2.217 volts (Swiftech MCW60)
    Ram----------- 2x1024 OCZ PC2-8500
    PSU------------ Toughpower 1200w
    Water Cooling- PA120.2&.3(San Ace Fans at 7-12V), Dual Petra topped DDC2s, 7/16" lines

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default thanks for posting

Hi guys, thanks for replying and posting some options, i am going to look at those just as soon as i get some time, but after reading what you both wrote,i think i will swing with a 1000w Psu, and its looking like the leaf blower might come out victorious-unless.... (deep breath) -

"there is a good, single rail, 1000w , eps12v with dual/quad 24+8+4 connectors, sli/crossfire, certified PSU alternative" - then please do tell

phew that was long

thanks again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonetime View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for replying and posting some options, i am going to look at those just as soon as i get some time, but after reading what you both wrote,i think i will swing with a 1000w Psu, and its looking like the leaf blower might come out victorious-unless.... (deep breath) -

"there is a good, single rail, 1000w , eps12v with dual/quad 24+8+4 connectors, sli/crossfire, certified PSU alternative" - then please do tell

phew that was long

thanks again.
    Not 1000w but the Zippy PSL-6850P. Otherwise you could just say you wanted to buy a Pc Power and Cooling 1kw when you asked the question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonetime View Post

phew that was long

thanks again.
    Well... the X3 is always a possibility. BUT, I wouldn't with that much system behind it. I know the X3 is a great supply and based off of a server grade platform. But, its not proven in its reliability yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Not 1000w but the Zippy PSL-6850P. Otherwise you could just say you wanted to buy a Pc Power and Cooling 1kw when you asked the question.
    Man that supply is looking more tempting to me every day. Hey can you tell me how the PCIE4 version of it differs from the regular one?
    "...this Silencer is a lot less expensive and it has the PCP&C name on it so it must be 133t r0x0r raaaaaarrrr1!!!" -JonnyGuru
    Mobo------------Asus Commando
    CPU-------------L628B121-E6600(Bowed Apogee GTX)@ 505x8@ 1.53V Actual (Still Testing)
    Vid--------------BBA ATI X1900XTX @ 765/900@ 1.550/2.217 volts (Swiftech MCW60)
    Ram----------- 2x1024 OCZ PC2-8500
    PSU------------ Toughpower 1200w
    Water Cooling- PA120.2&.3(San Ace Fans at 7-12V), Dual Petra topped DDC2s, 7/16" lines

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eightballrj View Post
    Man that supply is looking more tempting to me every day. Hey can you tell me how the PCIE4 version of it differs from the regular one?
    The Zippy? It has 4 PCI-E connectors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's another suggestion:

Powerful single 12V rail power supply:

1000W Silverstone SST-OP1000 50°C, Single +12Vrail 80A, Quad PCI-E 6pin, Dual PCI-E 8pin, ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V Std (Olympia 1000W, based on the Seventeam ST1000E-AD ) £199.05 Inc VAT.

Review (Silverstone Olympia 1000W vs. PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1Kw-SR):
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=49

More info: http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...p1000&area=usa

Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I did look at the Zippy- PSL-6850P and i have short listed it - i didn't mention it cause i was happy with it- except it doesn't have dual eps12. But i can live with that.

Im now looking at the 1000 w PSU and the 700-1000w in two separate groups. from all the different articles, post reviews- it seems that anything above 750w should do well, cause i wont be running full load all the time. So 1000w is overkill, but it also ensures enough juice for peak loads. if i get new components- i wont be exploring for a new psu and last but not least it will run much cooler and efficient than a lower watt PSU.

The PCP&C 1kw, from the 1000w list was favored simply because the reviews held it as majestic- seems it is built and functions like a tank- throw anything at it and it would just eat it up. But i was never happy with the price tag, so i read more and looked other options, and i am starting to realize there are other PSU which come close and do better in some departments ie. efficiency, regulation etc. Although it seems the PCP&P is rock steady with minimal ripple.

Plus it is available in the UK at a number of E-tailer. But i am not a fan boy just yet, my loyalty is to my pocket, if i can find a better alternative then i will surely go in that direction. - thank you- i

PS: i love this forum- even after such a long post/question- there are replies, it hasn't been ignored. Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CTman View Post
    Here's another suggestion:

Powerful single 12V rail power supply:

1000W Silverstone SST-OP1000 50°C, Single +12Vrail 80A, Quad PCI-E 6pin, Dual PCI-E 8pin, ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V Std (Olympia 1000W, based on the Seventeam ST1000E-AD ) £199.05 Inc VAT.

Review (Silverstone Olympia 1000W vs. PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1Kw-SR):
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=49

More info: http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...p1000&area=usa

Good luck!
    Thanks CTman, i have just read the reviews- the Silver stone OP 1000w vs. PCP&C 1KW-SR and its nice to see there are alternatives, the silver stone is getting my attention at the moment, plus it has 2 8pin eps12 power connectors, although i don't think i will need it, as most motherboards that require eps12v spec, only require one 8pin eps12v connector.

The silverstone is on par with the PCP&C 1KW-SR and is much better Price. Can anyone explain why the PCP&P is so expensive compared to other similar and almost equal performing 1000w PSU?

cheers

Im also looking at the zippy PSL-6850P- but its about the same price as the silverstone- so silverstone is looking even better.