Thread: New PSU advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New PSU advice

Hello everyone, longtime reader, first post here. I've just made some upgrades to my system and think I need a new PSU as well. The system was running alright until last night. When playing stalker, my UPS would kick on and the sytem will lock up. I disconnected some fans/dvd's and lowered my vcore and the system runs fine that way, so I suspect the PSU isn't enough. I was looking at just a 5.25" PSU like the FSP booster x3 to add to the sytem, but don't know much about them.

specs- Abit ab9 quad gt, xeon 3060(was oc'ed to 3.6GHz at 1.5 vcore), 2 GB ddr2 800, 8800gtx, 3dvd's, 2 HDD's, x-fi, 5 120mm fans. PSU is a silverstone strider st 60f, so I thought it would handle this system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Corsair HX520/620.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ElasticEquator View Post
    Hello everyone, longtime reader, first post here. I've just made some upgrades to my system and think I need a new PSU as well. The system was running alright until last night. When playing stalker, my UPS would kick on and the sytem will lock up. I disconnected some fans/dvd's and lowered my vcore and the system runs fine that way, so I suspect the PSU isn't enough. I was looking at just a 5.25" PSU like the FSP booster x3 to add to the sytem, but don't know much about them.

specs- Abit ab9 quad gt, xeon 3060(was oc'ed to 3.6GHz at 1.5 vcore), 2 GB ddr2 800, 8800gtx, 3dvd's, 2 HDD's, x-fi, 5 120mm fans. PSU is a silverstone strider st 60f, so I thought it would handle this system.
    Something seems a bit fishy here... can't put my finger on it. I woudl agree that the corsiar HX620 should be enough to power that rig but why doesn't the ST60F?
    Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bun-Bun View Post
    ... but why doesn't the ST60F?
    Yep. Good question.
    Maybe it's something related with your OC not your PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's some interesting info concerning the Silverstone Strider 600W (older versions):
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/330/6/

Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far. Good article CTman, I bought this PSU about a year ago so I probably have the original version. the system ran fine with my x1900xtx but with the new video card I'm getting the lockups. I suspected th oc too burebista, still orthos stable for 24 hours though. Maybe I'll try running a molex to pci-e adapter see if that helps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ElasticEquator View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Good article CTman, I bought this PSU about a year ago so I probably have the original version. the system ran fine with my x1900xtx but with the new video card I'm getting the lockups. I suspected th oc too burebista, still orthos stable for 24 hours though. Maybe I'll try running a molex to pci-e adapter see if that helps.
    Heh, my computer is quad thread prime95, HCI memtest, folding, just about every other thing under the sun stable... but some games still crash it... lol

Quote Originally Posted by CTman View Post
    Here's some interesting info concerning the Silverstone Strider 600W (older versions):
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/330/6/

Good luck!
    Ah so it is a rail issue then. Yeah then a corsair HX620 would work fine.
    Yin|Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3|Swiftech XT-> GTX240 -> DDC+ w/ Petra's|2600K @ 4.8GHz |4 x 4 GB G.Skill Eco PC3-12800|Asus 7950 DirectCUII|256 GB Crucial M4|2 x 2 TB Seagate LP(Raid-0)|Seasonic M12-700|Lian-Li PC-6077B (Heavily Modded)

In the trunk of the Lunar Rover on the moon!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

being Orthos stable is all well and good...yet is it Orthos stable say 48 hrs in......

just asking..

Good Luck!!