Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Recommendation!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Question Recommendation!

    ALL right.. So I'm doing a system downgrade heh.. currently have an 850w Zeus that I will no longer need because I sold my 8800GTX cards.

    I will be having the following:

    E6600 @3.6GHz 1.5 vcore
    currently have 680i, but might get a P35 board
    8800GTS 640mb
    2 gigs of ram..
    Xfi
    some external stuff.. such as control pad, webcam, etc
    5 hard disks
    2 burners
    floppy lol
    and case fans

    I'm contemplating getting a Seasonic S12-380.

    I don't really have any upgrade plans.. maybe some more HDDs.. but I can't see them consuming anymore than 12w a piece. Don't need SLI. I'm obviously going to overclock, but the only voltages I play with are vcore, vdimm and northbridge.

    Will the Seasonic be perfect, or should I get something like a Corsair HX520?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In yer 'fridge, eatin' yer pizza
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Why downgrade on the PSU? You have, it's installed and you'll be lucky to sell it for enough to pay for another quality PSU after you factor in the shipping cost to the new owner.

    Just keep it, it won't hurt it running it at a lower load and you'll be running it at a nice low load percentage so it'll run cool and quiet. It's not like it's going to consume 1000W from the wall since it only needs the power that your system requires.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    1,105
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Agree with madmat. Keep your PSU.
    And with 5 HDD's and 2 burners and "maybe some more HDDs" I'll go for something single 12V rail like Antec EarthWatts 380/430, or even Corsair HX520 for extra headroom.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    Why downgrade on the PSU? You have, it's installed and you'll be lucky to sell it for enough to pay for another quality PSU after you factor in the shipping cost to the new owner.

    Just keep it, it won't hurt it running it at a lower load and you'll be running it at a nice low load percentage so it'll run cool and quiet. It's not like it's going to consume 1000W from the wall since it only needs the power that your system requires.
    1. 850w Zeus can easily go for 200 bucks, I really need money right now.
    2. It is NOT quiet! I know many people state it is one of the more quiet ones, but I would rather get a unit that I can swap a 120mm fan for a Yate or somethin.
    3. I have realy no need for this power. I don't want to upgrade for another 5 years or so.

    Quote Originally Posted by burebista View Post
    Agree with madmat. Keep your PSU.
    And with 5 HDD's and 2 burners and "maybe some more HDDs" I'll go for something single 12V rail like Antec EarthWatts 380/430, or even Corsair HX520 for extra headroom.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In yer 'fridge, eatin' yer pizza
    Posts
    1,785
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffbiff21 View Post
    1. 850w Zeus can easily go for 200 bucks, I really need money right now.
    2. It is NOT quiet! I know many people state it is one of the more quiet ones, but I would rather get a unit that I can swap a 120mm fan for a Yate or somethin.
    3. I have realy no need for this power. I don't want to upgrade for another 5 years or so.
    How old is it? Personally I wouldn't pay more than 50% of it's new value ($227 @ Deadeye Data) since it has no warranty to the new owner. Buy used for $200 or new with warranty for $227? You'll never sell it for that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    How old is it? Personally I wouldn't pay more than 50% of it's new value ($227 @ Deadeye Data) since it has no warranty to the new owner. Buy used for $200 or new with warranty for $227? You'll never sell it for that.
    It is only 2 months old. I've never registered it or anything.. so it still should have warranty.

    HX520 is less than 100 bucks new..

    So Im saving 100 bucks, getting better efficienty, less heat, less fan noise, modular cables, better service (Corsair ) etc

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    jonnyGURU forums, of course!
    Posts
    16,379
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    545
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    361
    Thanked in
    265 Posts

    Default

    Warranties are not transferable. They're only good to the new owner holding the original receipt.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the trunk of the Lunar Rover on the moon!!
    Posts
    136
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    If I may say....
    Online you can get a Zeus 850w for around $230 why would I want to buy a used Zeus 850 for $200 when I can get it new for $230???

    http://deadeyedata.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=101
    $227

    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=20436
    $229

    And there are several for under $250.....

    so just my 2 cents worth...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Not [H]ere
    Posts
    170
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Umm, if you can get $200 for a USED 850W Zeus, I will.. umm, well I don't know what I'd do but it'd be something.
    This product does not support Win9X/ME!

Similar Threads

  1. Recommendation for PSU
    By Rawktt in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-28-2017, 01:30 AM
  2. PSU Recommendation
    By FeiLong in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2017, 01:16 AM
  3. PSU recommendation please
    By marctronixx in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM
  4. PSU Recommendation
    By Necrosis in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 06:07 AM
  5. PSU Recommendation
    By HughCrane in forum PC Power Supply Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •