Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Used car suggestions...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reminds me of the only new car I ever bought.....1986 Dodge Shelby Charger....2.2 liters of turbo charged goodness with a 5 speed manual.....and would FLY.....got stopped on I-16 between Macon and Ft. Stewart doing 140 mph.... and managed to get a warning.....the telling of that story requires sitting down around a table with some cold beers.....
    R. N. Koester
    CEO/Founder Macon Armory Inc. and Grumpy Old Soldier
    Don't mess with old farts, for age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

honda civic hybrid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machinist View Post
    Reminds me of the only new car I ever bought.....1986 Dodge Shelby Charger....2.2 liters of turbo charged goodness with a 5 speed manual.....and would FLY
    I believe it - that'll be a K based car too. Actually I was close to getting a turbo 1983 New Yorker not long ago... that car might have laid the smackdown on some poor unsuspecting Mustang itself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    I believe it - that'll be a K based car too. Actually I was close to getting a turbo 1983 New Yorker not long ago... that car might have laid the smackdown on some poor unsuspecting Mustang itself
    My weekend car is a 1966 Chevrolet Impala SS. It's an RPO vehicle with a 427. Ahhh teh gallons per yard it gets....but they are fast yards!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fun fast yards too, I bet

Was going to mention the Dodge Spirit R/T - 224 HP of 4 cylinder 2.2 turbo mayhem. They're rare, and supposedly a bit picky when it comes to regular maintenance, but pretty much define the term "sleeper."

http://www.allpar.com/model/spiritrt.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

toyota always come top for reliability, I suspect hondas engines are better in absoulte terms, but my dad had one b4 and there were a few niggles with it..cockpit fan, rear brake light, door switch, petrol leak, airbag module, and it was a dealer ex demo model, too, well cared for. they love to rev. high. too.

if you want economy, get a diesel, you can get 50 to the gallon out of a citroen zx turboDiesel, if you can get them there. good fun to drive, french are good with suspension and diesel engines. peugeot 306 is the same chassis and engines, but sexier looks so command more, maybe different names in the US

personally, I don't think I would go for korean, tho some daewoo's ...now chrysler? look quite nice, and cheap, probably a little plasticky, like the japs used to be. they could be fine tho'
    Last edited by ianm2; 05-22-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    ...citroen zx turboDiesel, if you can get them there.
    You can't.

...personally, I don't think I would go for korean, tho some daewoo's ...now chrysler? look quite nice, and cheap, probably a little plasticky, like the japs used to be. they could be fine tho'
    Not sure what you get over there in the U.K., but have you seen a Hyundai Sonata or Kia Rio or Amanti? Pretty nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes we can get allsorts of koreans, but we do like our cars to corner, and not wallow like a hippo in bends, and sadly most japs and koreans don't really do that so well until now, they spend most on the engine I think and the rest is an afterthought

they might be better for your market, but the older koreans here were a bit nasty, I think they are much improved of late tho', probably as good as the japs, my dad was always a jap fan, and I grew up with them, there is something about them, just like an old pair of shoes, they just feel right

but you guys have the right priorities, big engines, armchair interiors, straight roads and cheap food/beer, think I am a yankee wannabe
    Last edited by ianm2; 05-22-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

now chrysler? look quite nice, and cheap, probably a little plasticky, like the japs used to be. they could be fine tho'
    I'm actually of the "they don't make 'em like they used to" mindset on that one, though I will admit the longevity of the infamous A604 tranny has been vastly improved.

Dad got himself a 2002 Caravan a couple years ago to replace the 1996 Grand Caravan LE that kept eating trannies ('96 was a real bad year for them), and except for the transmission I find the newer minivan less appealing, less comfortable, and much less fun to drive. Then again, the '96 was loaded, had the 3.8, and power seats.

Anyhoo, now that Chrysler's been sold back to a US owner, I hope things will improve again. Getting sick of the hemi this and hemi that from them lately... not everyone wants or can afford to run a hemi, whether they have multiple displacement or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    1996 Grand Caravan LE that kept eating trannies ('96 was a real bad year for them), and except for the transmission I find the newer minivan less appealing, less comfortable, and much less fun to drive. Then again, the '96 was loaded, had the 3.8, and power seats.
    Also was a bad year for GM transmissions, Z34 Monte Carlo with 4L60E transmission in particular. The transmission gave out last summer after 157000 miles, the dealerships/garage guys were surprised that it lasted that long. Also GM's 3.4L DOHC V6 is a pain in a rear to work on, luckily they ditched that particular engine after 1998. By the way I get about 19 miles/ gallon.
    " Don't believe everything you see and only half of what you read on the internet "

" We all dream of a world full of sunshine, happiness and peace.
    But there is a problem.
    That half of the people think it sounds like a wonderful place to live.
    The other half thinks it sounds like a wonderful place to pillage. "