Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Used car suggestions...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you think of the dealer? First time buying a car and I'm worried about snake oil salesmen. It doesn't look like too bad a deal, me thinks, but I don't want to pay 3k for a car and put 4k worth of work into it to maintain it.

Other than that, I sit at about 5' 11'', so I should be ok.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...first_record=1

If you have the time, which car would you pick OKW?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know... I've had mixed experiences with dealers. My advice would be to have it checked out by an independant mechanic while test driving, and test drive the hell out of it. Look underneath on a level surface and make sure it's riding right and check for repainted or misaligned body panels. Carfax it if you can, too.

You should have seen the look on the salesman's face during the test drive of Lincoln #2 when he came along on the drive and I tested the brakes the hard way (they needed work)

Forgot to mention, it may be a 5 speed manual tranny too.

Edit - not sure about most of those other options - I'm only familiar with Mopar and those old Lincolns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a slug on wheels???......I like it!!

some handle like whales

I'm surprised, I thought the US was full of things like 5 litre V8s? those pics are what I imagine US cars to be like.

Chrysler neon? had a reputation here for having a hard ride

do you have mags like 'used car buyer'? that type over there that go back long enough, I always look thro' those to find prices and ideas, but you can't totally rely on opinions, it does give some idea tho'.

one thing I would say is this, some of those milegaes are really high, I don't know about over there, but once a car hits 100,000 here it really hits is desirability and value hard, and that 's when the wear and tear really starts to set in.

ideally, as lower mileage as you can afford, I have had a look at your list, I woulodn't know where to begin, as i don't know the slightest about some of the cars, but good ownership, just imagine buying a house, or computer, say, you want receipts, service records, bills, clean inside, clean under the hood, no nasty noises from moving parts, engine, steering, wheel noises, if its manual, good clutch, electrics all working. and of course, for reliablity the japs and probably the koreans are ok, no idea about indiginous US cars.

look at the condition and sagging of the seats, ditto the pedals, the carpets, seat belts, airbag lights...important

look also under the sills, rust, in the trunk, is it clean, lift carpets a little, look for water pooling, wet carpets, look where normal people don't look.

all in all, just something that's been looked after and cared for, its common sense really, but if you haven't come across it before....I might be telling a granny to suck eggs. ie you might know loads

finally, if its done a high milegae quickly, ie, 200,000 in 2 years, say it could well be better than having done it in 15 yrs, if an old fella has had it, yes it may be cared for, but if it doesn't warm up and has just had short runs, it could be shot.

oh, and look for oil smoke out of the exhaust too, on start up cold, and when someone revs it for you, and when it warms up and metals expand.

I could go on and on about what to look for, but you might know it all, or it may get a bit much....
    Last edited by ianm2; 05-23-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    Chrysler neon? had a reputation here for having a hard ride
    They do have a pretty firm ride - some may like it, I didn't. Especially with having my knees jammed up against the dashboard and the 10 minute contortions I had to employ to get into the thing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Firm ride like feeling the cigarette butts when you run them over?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Not quite that bad I don't think, though it's been years since I drove my sister's. I'm used to luxury cars, don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 (the 2.4L Turbo rocket version) and damn did it ride hard. Well I never drove it on the stock suspension (had a full tein ss suspension, incredibley stiff, nearly broke my back going over pot holes) but wow was that car fast. Smoked nearly everything on the road before and after mods...

We do have an absurd amount of 8-10 cyclinder SUVs here. I was driving to my parents house the other day and got stuck for about 5 minutes at the soccer fields because these idiots with their GIANT PIECES OF GAS WASTING ROAD HOGGING SMALL CAR KILLING PARKED IN THE ROAD BECAUSE THE PARKING SPOTS ARE TOO SMALL!!!!!! As I sat there I tried to find a non suv, to my suprise, there were over 60 SUVs and ONE normal sized car. Absolutely ridiculous.

BTW Jonny, you want a car that you can ram people with, try a 91 Volvo 240, my girlfriend has one and it's an absolute tank. A mini-van rear ended me at atleast 25 and i couldnt even find a dent! It's a fun car in the winter too, RWD and no abs (I can't stand ABS, I refuse to drive a car with it.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you going to get a used car, get on that is no more than 9 years old, had one owner, was driven daily on highway and was taken care of, this is probably the deal breaker.

Avoid first two (2) years of that model, especially if you know of some sort of defects, cars that were driven in a city a lot, sporty cars that have manual transmission and previous owner was a male under 30 years of age.
    " Don't believe everything you see and only half of what you read on the internet "

" We all dream of a world full of sunshine, happiness and peace.
    But there is a problem.
    That half of the people think it sounds like a wonderful place to live.
    The other half thinks it sounds like a wonderful place to pillage. "