Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silverstone Decathlon 850W (DA850W) squealing like a stuck pig under 3d video load.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think perhaps the response given to SKYMTL should have been a lot more detailed and worded a little better. So here goes my first post at jonnyGURU.com!

The transient response performance that our current Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W can achieve is best in class (also best that we've ever had). The goal was to have power supplies with top-notch performance not only during static loading (which is what most power supply testers do) but also in dynamic loading conditions. Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W models can react to sudden changes from high load to low load (and back) quicker than any power supplies that we have tested.

Unfortunately for us, this high performance also results in transfomer to produce frequency that a few too many people consider noisy. Believe it or not, we can have three people in the room listening to the same power supply with one person claiming that he cannot hear anything while the other two can identify the noise as either acceptable or annoying. We ended up testing many high wattage power supplies from our other series/other companies and found that practically all of them will make noises but with different frequencies. Our Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W on average has higher frequency while the Strider lines has the lowest (therefore inaudible to human ears). We found that transient response performance was almost proportional to frequency of sound that a power supply makes.

Since we do not have enough evidence to show that having "excellent" transient response is better than merely having "great" transient response in real world usage, we decided to scale back this aspect of Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W’s performance in our subsequent production units to reduce the sound frequency. If you have a pair of sharp ears, the noise can probably be heard when you put the power supply next to you, but they will not be detected when used in a PC anymore.

Contrary to what some have speculated, this phenomenon wasn't caused by quality control issues because we can show the same power supply to two people at the same time and elicit different responses. Rather it was our intention to deliver top dynamic loading performance that produced noises some of our customers consider unacceptable. If you are a current user of our Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W power supply and you do not hear the noise mentioned by other, it is likely that your ears simply cannot pick up on the frequency emitted or your PC has other noises that are louder (some 680i motherboards and 8800GTX cards have high pitch noises as well).

I hope this clear up questions that some of you may have of our Olympia/Decathlon 650W ~ 850W power supplies. I will post version numbers that will help to identify the original models and the revised ones in a few days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question since we're now fortunate enough to have a SilverStone rep here to straighten things up. Why not epoxy pot the transformers to prevent coil noise? That way you can still keep the transient response at the current levels and 86 the offending noises. Potting has been used in the audio industry to prevent sympathetic vibration in transformers and mics and pickups for many years now and I'd think that it would help to cure the ills you're experiencing now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and thank you, SilverStone, for joining us.

- JT
    This product does not support Win9X/ME!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes thank you for joining the forum...

It is a tremendous and welcome step always to have some forum help.
    e6400 3.5 7x500 (L630A992) - Thermalright Ultima-90 ES - Asus P5B-D (910) - EVGA 8800GTS (Hr-03) 660/1950 - Gskill HZ's pc8000 @ 4-4-4-12 OCZ mem cooler - X-fi Platinum w/BeyerDynamic DT-990pro Cans - Silverstone TJ-07 w/Antec Quattro 850w - Gateway FPD2185w 21in LCD - WD Raptor X HD and Seagate 7200.10 400gb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here is a summary of version changes that affects all Olympia and Decathlon PSUs from 650W to 850W:

V1
    Original

V1.5
    Revised

V2
    Original

V2.5 & after
    Revised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's really cool to see an SS rep here, kudos to you guys. Yeah, why not fix the problem with a mechanical change?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    Here is a summary of version changes that affects all Olympia and Decathlon PSUs from 650W to 850W:

V1
    Original

V1.5
    Revised

V2
    Original

V2.5 & after
    Revised

So assuming I have sensitive hearing... I'm looking for version 1.5 or v2.5? Or am I looking only for v2.5?

Sweet... Thanks...
    e6400 3.5 7x500 (L630A992) - Thermalright Ultima-90 ES - Asus P5B-D (910) - EVGA 8800GTS (Hr-03) 660/1950 - Gskill HZ's pc8000 @ 4-4-4-12 OCZ mem cooler - X-fi Platinum w/BeyerDynamic DT-990pro Cans - Silverstone TJ-07 w/Antec Quattro 850w - Gateway FPD2185w 21in LCD - WD Raptor X HD and Seagate 7200.10 400gb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is good to hear as I do have an original v1.0 that clearly hums and whines when under heavy load. I am glad to hear as well that their is no ill happenings to be worried about with the psu due to this noise. Is the newer revisions still performing just as well and responding just as quickly with this fix or not because of the fix? I am wondering if this noise is worth putting up with due to the psu possibly being better at what it does because of the noise you follow?

EDIT... would you be able to let us know whether this new v2.5 revision contains a PROPER AND CORRECT 8 pin PCIe power connector unlike the older revisions that are reliant on an adapter to be used instead? For a modular power supply like my DA750 I find it foolish to need an adapter as the cable itself is not hard connected to the unit but removable. I would like to be sure I get a proper cable to go with the new unit if available. Thanks.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D->SLI w/ VC-RE (Bios 406BTA)
    X2 4800+ w/ TT Big Typhoon w/ Panalfo H1A
    2GB OCZ PC4000 Platinum EB
    2 X WD 150GB Raptor RAID 0
    2 X Hitachi T7K250 250GB SATA2
    Pioneer DVR-112D DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Powercolor X1900XTX w/ Accelero X2
    BFG Physx PPU w/ Vantec Iceberq4 Pro
    Samsung 204B
    Logitech G15 + MX518 w/ Everglide Ricochet mat + skates
    APC RS1200 UPS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got V2.0 of DA750 and stuck with the same problem.

Does anyone know if its been completely fixed in V2.5 or not?
    E6600 @ 3.00GHz (333 * 9) | P5WDH | SuperTalent DDR2 @ 834MHz (2x1 GB) | Asus HD 3870 @ 850 | Creative X-fi XtremeMusic | Samsung 940B | Seagate 160GBx2 RAID0 | Seagate 320GB | Samsung SH-S203B | Tt Shark | Silverstone DA750

Watercooling:
    MCRES >> MCP655 >> Storm Rev. 2 >> MCW60 >> MCR220

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zerone View Post
    I got V2.0 of DA750 and stuck with the same problem.

Does anyone know if its been completely fixed in V2.5 or not?
    Yeah. Did you see SilverStone's post? 2.5 and up is revised. All a 2.0 is is a 1.0 with 8-pin PCI-e connectors.