Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The making of a case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    Very good idea or you could cut the same size opening as a BIPIII has and just include a plate to cover it that has a single 120mm fan opening in the middle (the plate would mount from the top) and another that turns the opening into a double 120mm rad opening.
    I was actually thinking (dangerous) the 5.25" bays in the front have boxes that go in them that adapt to a hard drive cage and this cage is what also holds the 120MM (soon to be 135MM or 140MM I hope.) So if you put two in together, you should be able to mount a 2 x 120MM radiator up there. I'll have to see if the spacing allows for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, no, no to BIX. It has to be thermochill compatible. They're bigger, as in thicker, wider and longer, so the fan spacing is different. They also have lower flow resistance and a PA120.2 nearly equals a BIX3 so a PA120.3 trounces a BIX3 (the newer GT's aren't any better).

It'd also need about 2.5" of clearance above the expansion slots so the PA and fans can fit internally inside the case. so basically just add another 5.25" bay, or two to make the case taller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Yeah. The case will have to be taller. That'll be tough.

See... right now, we're making this case using the same tooling that constructs the Alumins. We're just putting the pieces together in a different order and drilling holes in different places.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantine View Post
    No, no, no to BIX. It has to be thermochill compatible. They're bigger, as in thicker, wider and longer, so the fan spacing is different. They also have lower flow resistance and a PA120.2 nearly equals a BIX3 so a PA120.3 trounces a BIX3 (the newer GT's aren't any better).

It'd also need about 2.5" of clearance above the expansion slots so the PA and fans can fit internally inside the case. so basically just add another 5.25" bay, or two to make the case taller.
    And maybe, MAYBE 10% of the people doing WC use a Thermochill so naturally the case should be tailored for the minority and screw what the majority of WC enthusiasts use. Yeah, wise choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although a larger fans like 135mm and 140mm are great idea, I'd probably think about staying away from them because of the lack of aftermarket 135mm or 140mm fans and/or accsesories. I mean sure, the extra 15 to 20mm gained in diameter would allow for more air at slower speeds, but it does force you to use the bundled fan, which is not always a good thing.

My only other advice would to maybe include some clean-able dust filters on the intake fans, and to make sure that the stamped case fan grills allow enough air flow.

Aside from that, this is probably an awsome experience, and it must feel great to see your ideas come to life!
    G0 Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz | P5W-DH | 4GB Ballistix 8500 | HD2900XT | Auzentech Prelude w/ Sennheiser HD280pro | Custom Lian Li PC75B w/ Psone LCD | BenQ FP241W 24" LCD | ULTRA X3 1000W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terru View Post
    Although a larger fans like 135mm and 140mm are great idea, I'd probably think about staying away from them because of the lack of aftermarket 135mm or 140mm fans and/or accsesories. I mean sure, the extra 15 to 20mm gained in diameter would allow for more air at slower speeds, but it does force you to use the bundled fan, which is not always a good thing.
    I agree. So my recommendation to the engineers this morning was a grill with bolt holes for 120MM, 135MM and 140MM (if allowable) fans.

My only other advice would to maybe include some clean-able dust filters on the intake fans, and to make sure that the stamped case fan grills allow enough air flow.
    I agree. Right now, the fans mount in the back of the bays, so the filter would have to go behind the mesh grill. Of course, we have to see how much airflow is affected. There's still a lot of R&D involved, but I'm optimistic.

Aside from that, this is probably an awsome experience, and it must feel great to see your ideas come to life!
    Yeah. Right now, you guys can think this case is total shit. But I don't care because I'm putting in input left and right and seeing it come to life and know that, "hey... at least I'd use this case."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I agree. So my recommendation to the engineers this morning was a grill with bolt holes for 120MM, 135MM and 140MM (if allowable) fans.

I agree. Right now, the fans mount in the back of the bays, so the filter would have to go behind the mesh grill. Of course, we have to see how much airflow is affected. There's still a lot of R&D involved, but I'm optimistic.

Yeah. Right now, you guys can think this case is total shit. But I don't care because I'm putting in input left and right and seeing it come to life and know that, "hey... at least I'd use this case."

Finally someone designing a case that will actually use it. Many cases are quite good, but the whole power supply flip never made sense with the cables going so far.

If you build it, we will buy.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't underestimate yourself Jonny. You're name is pretty big on a lot of forums, and you're held in high regard. If there was a jGURU case that came out from Ultra, I'm sure that the big timers on the other forums would be interested, and then the little timers would follow suit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any news on possibly going out on a limb with the case panels? I've heard that the Antec Aluminum/plastic/Aluminum design works pretty well for subduing noise. Plain jane aluminum seems like just that... plain jane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts

Yeah... But you can't under estimate plain jane aluminum either.

Let's see how this goes first.