Thread: New System PSU Reconmendation (To Future proof, or not to future proof)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default New System PSU Reconmendation (To Future proof, or not to future proof)

I'm in the process of buying parts for a new system, and would welcome all of your opinions.

The System is planned to be as followed, (i've only listed what I feel are the power hungry components correct me if I'm wrong)

E6420 (To be overclocked fairly heavily)
    8800 GTX (Or possibly HD2900 series)
    2* 500 GB SATA II Hard Drives.

Basically I've read around as much as possible as I know the PSU is vitally important, I seem to change my mind every day based on a new review.

For my last PC, i tried to get a PSU with more than I needed for future proofing, but when it actually came to the upgrade it couldnt handle it. So I now am unsure whether to get exactly what I need and upgrade my PSU when/if I want to upgrade the system.

Modular PSU would be prefered, as would a quiet PSU. I also live in the UK so the PSU needs to be available here, or at least in the EU.

I also have no idea what PSU's can actually handle, some things I read say that 700W PSU's could handle 8800GTX Sli fine, and then i read another saying that you need to have a 1000W PSU to be safe.

Examples of PSU's that have been on the shortlist so far are; (I feel like I'm going to get told I'm getting too much power, my worry is that 700W is more than I need but less than I'll need in the future, and i could get away with for examble HX-520)

Enermax Infinity 720W
    Corsair HX 620W
    Seasonic M12-700W
    Hiper Type-R 730W (although think ive reconsidered due to connector placing)

More Power:
    Enermax Galaxy 850W
    Ttake Toughpower 850W

Zeus seemed to get a great review here but not elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jonny will correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you'll ever need more than 700W unless you start looking at Quad SLI configurations and then you'll need to start looking at 1000W and greater.

I don't see any reason why the Corsair HX620W wouldn't work for a serious enthusiast for the next several years. This is even if you decide to go with dual 8800GTX's.

I could be wrong though. I'm sure Jonny will reply soon.

- JT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

I wouldn't say an HX620W would work "long term" for someone with 8800GTX SLI. It might long enough for a couple days at CeBit, but I wouldn't want to do it myself.

Look at what's in your budget and look at what's most efficient that has the features you want. Often times people recommend a "400W power supply" because it's "all you need" but that overkill 1000W might be more efficient at most loads and you can't expect to push a power supply 75 to 100% of it's capability for an extended period of time and expect it to be happy about it.

For YOUR build, something around the neighborhood of 500 to 700W is fine. Just remember that if you go with the ATI card you'll need a PSU with an 8-pin connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I wouldn't say an HX620W would work "long term" for someone with 8800GTX SLI. It might long enough for a couple days at CeBit, but I wouldn't want to do it myself.
    That's why you're the boss!

- JT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just remember that if you go with the ATI card you'll need a PSU with an 8-pin connector.
    Actually the guys over at Fudzilla reported that the R600 overclocks normally even if you plug in two 6-pin connectors instead of one 6-pin and one 8-pin...
    Athlon64 FX-57 (TT-Watercooled); ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe (DD-Watercooled); 4x 512MB DDR550 2.5-3-3-7 TCCD; 2x X850XT in CROSSFIRE (CC-Watercooled); 2 HGST Scythe cooled SataII 80GB & 2 HGST Antec/Silentmaxx cooled SataII 160GB; BTC DRW1108 & NEC ND-3540A DVD combo drives; Konica 640MB SCSI MO drive; AVLAB USB/FireWire/G-bitLAN combo PCI card; Advansys SCSI card; OCZ Powerstream 600W + Okaya Otonashii SP 500W; LG L1720P 16ms; Cooler Master UWK Stacker, Thermaltake Symphony

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcbalaban View Post
    Actually the guys over at Fudzilla reported that the R600 overclocks normally even if you plug in two 6-pin connectors instead of one 6-pin and one 8-pin...
    That's interesting because it makes me wonder why they would even bother with the extra 2-pins.

I'll try it myself when I get back home and have some time to install my R600 and run some tests. My machine is in pieces right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I should explain what I meant by "normally"....
    With the 8-pin in, CCC detects the correct plug and enables Overdrive. This does not happen when you use a second 6-pin instead, but the card can be oveclocked nevertheless with the R600 overclocking tool (non CCC dependant) that AMD has provided. (I downloaded it from Fudzilla, but I don't know if it is still there...)
    Athlon64 FX-57 (TT-Watercooled); ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe (DD-Watercooled); 4x 512MB DDR550 2.5-3-3-7 TCCD; 2x X850XT in CROSSFIRE (CC-Watercooled); 2 HGST Scythe cooled SataII 80GB & 2 HGST Antec/Silentmaxx cooled SataII 160GB; BTC DRW1108 & NEC ND-3540A DVD combo drives; Konica 640MB SCSI MO drive; AVLAB USB/FireWire/G-bitLAN combo PCI card; Advansys SCSI card; OCZ Powerstream 600W + Okaya Otonashii SP 500W; LG L1720P 16ms; Cooler Master UWK Stacker, Thermaltake Symphony

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Often times people recommend a "400W power supply" because it's "all you need"...
    I hear you...
    amcphee futureproof it's hard to choose. Maybe with one >1KW you'll be covered for a long time, but for your setup I'll go for Enermax Infiniti 650 or Corsair HX620.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It's Fuad...nough said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't an hx520 enough for his set-up though?