Thread: DX9 vs DX10: what do they look like side by side?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DX9 vs DX10: what do they look like side by side?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/487/1/

Hover over the pics if you didn't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. I actually like the DX9 images better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
    Interesting. I actually like the DX9 images better.
    I have no bloody idea how you came to that personal conclusion.

To each his own I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wasn't DX9c supposed to be DX10 for XP?
    It used to be that my life and my computers coexisted peacefully...

Then I got married.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Coders "say" that DX9 "may" be backward hackable to enable DX10 qualities later on.

It'll take getting used to but personally I've seen live video's on HD TV of D3D10 in action. It's far better than what we have now and even now, most games are still DX8 not much of SM2.0 is implemented. DX9 games that make use of it's potential can be counted on one hand actually, ask Crysis or any game developers.

Read the FutureMark (3DMark) developers blogs. They know what DX9 and DX120 is all about first hand and that's why they chose to develop 3DMark'07 as Vista and DX10 only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DX10 images do look more realistic, period.
    I just hope to be in the beta of AoC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yeager View Post
    No. There will never be DX10 on anything other than Vista.

You're probably thinking of DX9L which is DX9 for Vista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yeager View Post
    DX9c was the implementation of Shader Model 3.0. There have been very few games to actually use SM 3.0, a couple of which include FarCry (which was patched for it) and Rainbow Six: Vegas (which actually requires SM 3.0)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTa View Post
    I have no bloody idea how you came to that personal conclusion.

To each his own I suppose.
    To me, the DX10 screenies are way unrealistically dark. I expect exaggerated darkness if I'm playing something scary like Doom, or watching a Batman flick. But in that forest scene, you would never on this planet encounter such a stark contrast between light and dark - the forest is just much too thin with vegetation for it. And a game looking like that just wouldn't be enjoyable for me to play. I like to see where I'm going / doing.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine. The overuse of nearly pitch black environments in modern cinema is out of hand. This is true in particular for the action genre - with the proliferation of comic book and vampire based films. It's become cliche and is why I don't see that many movies anymore. My fear is I see computer games heading in the same direction, and DX10 is an enabler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there's an interview with John Carmack And Todd Hollenshead by the Gameinformer; lets see what John Carmack thinks about DX9 and DX10:

GameInformer: Since you’re moving ahead with the new technology within the Doom 3 engine, you’re not worried about adopting that for DX10?

John Carmack: No, because the DX9 stuff—actually, DX9 is really quite a good API [application programming interface] level. Even with the D3D [Direct3D] side of things, where I know I have a long history of people thinking I’m antagonistic against it. Microsoft has done a very, very good job of sensibly evolving it at each step--they’re not worried about breaking backwards compatibility--and it’s a pretty clean API. I especially like the work I’m doing on the 360, and it’s probably the best graphics API as far as a sensibly designed thing that I’ve worked with.
    GameInformer: A lot of gamers are in the boat right now--and I’m in the boat as well--where they’re saving money to buy a new rig. I was at QuakeCon two years ago with my computer, and I was just slow. So I’ve been saving cash to buy a new rig to handle the next-gen of PC games. Quake Wars, Spore and Crysis are all coming out on the horizon, and there’s a big push for PC games this year. Do you think gamers should take the plunge now for DX10, or do you think they should wait and stick with DX9.

John Carmack
    : I don’t think that there’s any huge need for people to jump right now. All the high-end video cards right now—video cards across the board—are great nowadays. This is not like it was years ago, where they’d say, “This one’s poison, stay away from this. You really need to go for this.” Both ATI and Nvidia are going a great job on the high end. Internally, we’re still using more Nvidia cards, but it’s not necessarily because we’ve done a careful analysis and we decided that they’re superior in some way. They have better OpenGL support, but they’re all good cards right now. Personally, I wouldn’t jump at something like DX10 right now. I would let things settle out a little bit and wait until there’s a really strong need for it. I doubt there’s going to be any radical, obvious sweet spot where it’s like, “Now is the time to go get things.” It’s fairly mature, the pace that things are going on, and I don’t expect there’s going to be any huge sea changes in the way things are moving.
    source: "CES 2007: John Carmack And Todd Hollenshead Speak" by Billy Berghammer (1/9/2007)

In the interview they also talked about other interesting stuff like e.g. developing games for Windows Vista, the "next-gen" consoles, etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with doublejack.

While the first two pics are better in DX10 (the first one really better, the second one slightly better), the third one just goes too far. It's like nex-gen content in Tomb Rider Legend or NFS-MW - annoying.

At one point people are gonna have to realise that super-dooper realism is a double-edged sword. When I drive off into the sunset in real life, I put on the sunglasses and it's cool since I know I cannot turn off HDR, but there is no way I'll be wearing those in the darkness of my room.... No matter how cool the game is.
    Athlon64 FX-57 (TT-Watercooled); ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe (DD-Watercooled); 4x 512MB DDR550 2.5-3-3-7 TCCD; 2x X850XT in CROSSFIRE (CC-Watercooled); 2 HGST Scythe cooled SataII 80GB & 2 HGST Antec/Silentmaxx cooled SataII 160GB; BTC DRW1108 & NEC ND-3540A DVD combo drives; Konica 640MB SCSI MO drive; AVLAB USB/FireWire/G-bitLAN combo PCI card; Advansys SCSI card; OCZ Powerstream 600W + Okaya Otonashii SP 500W; LG L1720P 16ms; Cooler Master UWK Stacker, Thermaltake Symphony