Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply Upgrade Needed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power Supply Upgrade Needed?

Hello all,

I've been having what I believe to be power supply issues. I've tried reading various FAQs and forums and I've decided to post my questions here as there is a lot of information out there about PSUs and I've not been able to make it sink in properly yet.

First, the current system specs -
    p4 2.4c
    gig of ram
    6600gt agp video card (it has a standard molex power connector)
    2 sata hard drives
    1 optical drive, dvd-rw
    pci soundcard (creative labs sounblaster x-gamer)
    pci tv tuner card
    2 lighted fans
    1 cold cathode light kit
    msi neo2 ls (865 based)
    Apevia ATX-CW500WP4 link

next, the future system specs:
    everything the same, except
    GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 motherboard
    eVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT 512MB
    1 gig (2x512 sticks) of ddr2 pc2-6400
    intel E6400 cpu

My current system is not overclocked in any way and is completely "stock." No aftermarket coolers, etc.

Now, for the problem. I upgraded my power supply some time ago to the Apevia linked above. For a while I had popups telling me that the video card reduced performance due to power issues. I rewired everything in my case to put the video card on its own power cable strand with nothing else attached. This seemed to have done the trick. The popups went away, my 3dmark scores went up, life was good. Well, the other day, I decided to play some HL2, which I hadn't done in previous testing. In the middle of the game, it started stuttering, slowed down, etc. Exited out and there was the pop up again.

Looking at the specs of my current PSU, I see I've got 2x12volt rails, 16A and 18A each, which I'd have thought were enough to run my system. In fact, I specifically recall getting this PS because the specs on my video card called for 18A on the 12v rail. After reading this article, which seems to say that the v2 rail is for the cpu and the v1 rail for all the other devices, it appears my power supply only has 16a "where it counts". However, I seem to remember reading (in either this forum or perhaps on HardOCP's forums) that the two rails are not really independant or rather that most PSUs don't have independant rails. Which is likely to be correct?

I did some testing... when I run 3dmark05 and the system hasn't given me the dreaded "slow-down popup", I get a 3160. If I run 3dmark05 after the popup, I get 2160. I've tried disabling my light kit, one of my lighted fans and the second hard drive but still got the pop-up and system slow downs.

I've come to the conclusion that a PSU upgrade will magically fix all my performance issues. Do you folks agree with that assessment? I don't want to run out and buy a PSU if it isn't needed but if the experts among you think that it's needed, that's what I will do.

Ah! one last question. I've never been able to overclock the system at all. Even slight changes result in a non-booting system. Is it at least possible that a better power supply would enable me to overclock the system a little?

In case you'd like to offer critiques, I'm thinking of going with this Corsair PSU.

Thanks for reading all of this. I hope I haven't noobed it up too much for a first post.

Thanks,
    MMaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If the Apevia was an upgrade, I'd hate to see what it replaced

Apevia is OEM Youngyear... mediocre units. I'd say go for the Corsair - if nothing else you're going to need it when that 7950 shows up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post
    If the Apevia was an upgrade, I'd hate to see what it replaced
    Just for the record, I had an enlight oem PSU that came w/my case. I think it was 350w. Seemed to work well for me. At least, I didn't know it wasn't working well for me

I remember the good ol' days when all you needed to know was more watts was better. I long for the days of blissful ignorance past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts

Yeah... unfortunately, an Enlight 350W is > an Apevia/Aspire 500W.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MMaster View Post
    Just for the record, I had an enlight oem PSU that came w/my case. I think it was 350w. Seemed to work well for me. At least, I didn't know it wasn't working well for me

I remember the good ol' days when all you needed to know was more watts was better. I long for the days of blissful ignorance past.
    lol yeah I bought my first Antec sonata because it come with a decent PSU
    and was cheaper that just the PSU alone ...it lasted about 8 months as i recall
    EVGA 7900GS @ 605/800 - Core2Duo E6300 @ 2.8ghz - Asus P5B-E - 2Gig Kingston DDR2 - PSU: Corsair HX 520

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Yeah... unfortunately, an Enlight 350W is > an Apevia/Aspire 500W.
    where was ya when I needed ya? j/k

well, way back when I got the "new" video card (the 6600), my performance was REALLY bad - like around 1200 or 1300 in 3dmark05. Somebody convinced me that a PSU upgrade would magically fix my performance issues. And it did, to a point. I went to 2100ish after the "upgrade." I had some corroborating evidence from the video card manufacturer who stipulated a minimum of a 400 watt PSU and 18a on the 12v rail, so I bought into the solution. Obviously, something is still wrong. I am fully prepared to buy into the notion that I bought a crap PSU, but you might imagine that I'm a little suspicious of the "upgrade your PSU and your problems magically go away" solution.

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until christmas or perhaps after tax time to purchase a new PSU.

I do appreciate the help, though, folks.

thank you very much.
    MMaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apevia ATX-CW500WP4
    Aspire/Youngyear JUNK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    321 Posts

If you still have the Enlight.. how much mileage does it have on it? Is it still "clean?" No dust, tobacco stains, etc.?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know davidhammock200 is going to kill me ..but can you afford a $40 PSU with a $40 rebate
    ..here's the link
    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/458...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    ..i'm powering my system with one now and it's fine
    EVGA 7900GS @ 605/800 - Core2Duo E6300 @ 2.8ghz - Asus P5B-E - 2Gig Kingston DDR2 - PSU: Corsair HX 520

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clsA View Post
    I know davidhammock200 is going to kill me ..but can you afford a $40 PSU with a $40 rebate
    ..here's the link
    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/458...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
    ..i'm powering my system with one now and it's fine
    Hey free is FREE!

Good enough for a file/print server with intergrated grasphics.