Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Thermal Kit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Default AMD Thermal Kit

You could say this belongs in CPU's, but since it involves chassis, CPU cooling and power supply, I decided to put it here.

For the last two days, me and a friend from AMD have been working on the thermal properites of certain cases, CPU coolers, etc.

The machine you've been seeing me with lately has been:

Yeou Chin YCC-61F1 (aka Ultra M988 aka Globalwin YCC-61F1 aka Akasa Eclipse-62)
    Asus L1N64-SLI motherboard
    Two FX74 CPU's
    Two Ultra X-Wind Copper 90MM CPU coolers
    4GB DDR2-1000 (4 x 1GB sticks) Micro chips w/ Ultra copper heatspreaders
    Two eVGA 8800GTX 768MB video cards
    Two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750GB drives
    BenQ DVD640 drive
    X3 1000W PSU
    Front and rear Ultra BB 120MM fans

Let me start by saying..... the case and HSF's failed the thermal testing.

The problem? Well.... the larger X-Winds are 120MM, but those don't fit on this board. That's the first problem.

Also, the CPU coolers weren't getting sufficient cool air. The intake air was warmed by the hard drives, and most of that air got sucked up by the two 8800GTX cards and spit out the back in the form of hot air. There was such a vacuum inside the case that air was sucking into the vent above the PCI slots at such a rate that a Post-It note could get sucked in from 4" away.

The air temp 1" above the hub of the CPU cooler's fan was 40C! We're not talking about the "ambeint temp" that some stupid hardware monitor software reports to you which is normally too high. We're talking about the temperature as being read from a type-k thermometer mounted 1" above the CPU fan's hub. That's TOO HOT.

So everything is working against us and we realize this only 30 minutes into testing using a burn-in program that's made to run on each of the four cores and an instance of 3D Mark '06 thrown in for shits and giggles. My friend told me that the CPU's will tell the PC to shut down when the temperature of the heatspreader hits 100C give or take a couple Celsius (it's not an exact number because it actually turns off based on a particular core temp, but we were using thermistor temps, not temps read by the BIOS.)

We decided to go to lunch and figure the PC would be shut down when we got back. No chance.... in fact... it ran all day... and the next day. We shut it down ourselves this evening.

Mind you... it still failed in the eyes of AMD. But my friend expected worse and told me that a lot of times he's crushed the hopes of many a system builder because typically the test only lasts half an hour before the PC shuts down. He told me that there's only one case that consistantly works with the quad FX and the stress test and that's the Thermaltake Armor Extreme Edition which has a CPU vent for each CPU, and the bottom of each vent has a foam seal that seals off the CPU fan from sucking in any air other than outside air.

What follows is the pictorial tale of my journey....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

The first picture is the "Thermal Kit" as supplied by AMD.

The tray on top has a number of Socket F CPU's. I'll be using two of these. These CPU's are specially binned to use as much power as possible. They are examples of the worst case scenario. A portion of the heatspreader has been filed away and a thermistor has been embedded into it so we can read temperatures with out type-k thermometer.

The third picture is a close up of one of the Socket F CPU's showing the embedded thermistor.

The fourth picture shows the "black case" opened up to show it's contents. I'll dump this out and go over what's in it.

The fifth picture is a number of Shin Etsu TIM syringes included in the kit. I opted to use my Balance Stars ceramic Nano-Grease.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

The first photo is the Omega HH506 Thermometer included in the kit. The second photo shows the modest Extech DMM from the kit.

We were supposed to solder some leads from the PWM of the motherboard so we could measure the CPU's core voltages so we could figure out how much power the CPU itself was using, but the IC's were so small we couldn't get the wires on. We could only guess that the CPU's were using somewhere between 100 and 105W.

The last two photos are of the additional processors that come with the kit. The kit has CPU's that support Opteron and AthlonFX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Here's the test CPU's installed and a picture of the CPU coolers installed on the sockets. You can see the thermistors for measuring the air above the CPU coolers installed 1" above the hub of the CPU fans.

The pictures that will follow are pictures taken over the past days. Believe it or not, none of the pictures represent the peak of what I saw. Only what I was fast enough to snap with my camera.

The Weibo shows how much wattage is being pulled from the wall. The yellow type-K thermometer is the one that comes with the kit and shows the CPU temperature as measured from the embedded thermistor. The thermometer in the lower right corner is my type-k and is measuring the air coming out of the PSU. Ambient air is 24C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    The problem? Well.... the larger X-Winds are 120MM, but those don't fit on this board. That's the first problem.
    What about the CHillTEC's?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

There were more pictures, but they were blurry. I had to take the pics with the flash off because otherwise the red LED's on the Weibo would bleed. Unfortunately, no flash means slower shutter speed. Sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A tip on no flash pics... use a tripod and the timer that way there's no human interaction with the camera when the pic is snapped and the blur will disappear.

Edit: those aren't bad at all. I try free handing with no flash and I end up with pics that look like there's cottage cheese on the lens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Yeah.. that last pic shows 991.3W coming from the wall.

Don't tell me a Seasonic 430W is more than enough for an SLI rig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    A tip on no flash pics... use a tripod and the timer that way there's no human interaction with the camera when the pic is snapped and the blur will disappear.

Edit: those aren't bad at all. I try free handing with no flash and I end up with pics that look like there's cottage cheese on the lens.
    You can't fit a tripod in my office. It's a 6' across room with the benches facing each other. Each bench is 2' deep. The walk room between the two benches is 2' and that's where my chair is. I swivel back and forth between the two benches. When I felt like taking a picture, I grabbed the camera and snapped a shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Jonny rockzors your boxors @ 991.3