Thread: New Power connectors: A big future?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face New Power connectors: A big future?

So I have a question: What with PCI Express video cards currently using 6 pin connectors (3 common, 3 12VDC) and some of them using two of them each, we need 4 of them on some uber SLI rigs. But what about this new 8 Pin connection? Is it 4 common and 4 12VDC, and are they lined up the same as with the 6 pin? What do we do if we have a supply that has 4 sets of 6 pin connectors but we end up with new cards in the future than are configured SLI/Crossfire with 2 pcs. 8 lug connectors? Will adapters come out that will let us turn 2 6 pin connectors into 1 8 pin connector?

What about cards coming out that may need a 6 pin and an 8 pin too?! What do we do if there are no supplies that have, say, quad SLI 8 pin support? Will adapters come out? Is there an Intel or some other company specification that is industry wide that describes supplies that have these specific certain connectors, and in the right quantities?

Also, what is coming next? Supplies with 4 x 8 Pin connectors? Maybe 4 x 10 pin connectors? Connectors with 5 VDC or 3.3 VDC? Connectors with Extra grounds? Why the heck do they have to keep changing this on us, it freaking costs a fortune to keep up, something needs to be done to get manufacturers to behave and not make it so back breakingly expensive to keep upgrading!

Why am I asking all of this? Because for once in my life, for the first time ever in my nearly 49 years of hard, poor life, I am trying, no, more like struggling to save up the money for a new supply, maybe a PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad, and I am trying to future proof to a MODEST modicum of degree. But now I am thinking that by the time I get that supply, in, say, a month or two from now after saving and scraping up the change for it, it will already be totally obsolete and when the current cutting edge hardware becomes affordable and buyable as used by me (I buy a lot of used stuff off of guys much more spoiled than me and feel thankful for their, well, scraps, I guess I am kinda like a house dog who begs for goodies, heh).

Sigh, I just don't know what to do. I want an uber supply but can't quite see myself managing to scrape up more than about 170, and PCP&C sells the one I want refurbed for about that... What's a po' boy to do...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are 3 12V and 3 ground and for right now the added 2 wires are grounds as well. In the future either one or both of the added wires will be 12V sense. If it's just one that's 12V sense the other will be ground. As to the order I have no clue as the only PSU I have with the eight pin PCI-e is the X3 and all the wires are black and I'm too lazy this time of day to do a continuity test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, so the 8 pin PCI-Ex power feed is 3 x's 12VDC + 4 x's Common GND? Huh. And you are using the word "sense" What do you mean by Sense? Some TTL Logic thingy? AT 12 V??? Will cards start using 2 8 pin connectors? Are there connectors that will turn 2 6 pin connectors into one 8 pin connector?

so many questions, what a PITA I must sound like!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sense as in it senses and most likely corrects the +12V.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, you mean feedback of some type...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep. As to 2-8pins per card.... nope it's an 8 pin and 6 pin per card. You need 2 6 pins to make an 8 pin supposedly but after doing the X3 review I really think it's bogus. A six pin should have no issues turning into an 8 pin.