Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The one program you cannot live without.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WinRar
    Windows 10-64bit-Windows 7 Home-64bit - Phanteks Primo case - Corsair HX850i PSU - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1 - i7-6700K(Bios F21) - Corsair H110i GTX AIO cooler - Corsair LPX 2 x 8GB 2666Mhz memory - Creative ZxRi Onboard sound - 2 x Samsung 950 256GB Nvme 256GB M.2 - 1 x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - 1 x Intel 750 400GB Pci-e - EVGA GTX FTW ACX2.0 980Ti - Dell 27" G-Sync 2560 x 1440 (main) - Dell 24" (secondary) 1920 x 1200 monitors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AutoCAD. Without that buggy-as-nuts program, my business would cease to function.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me: FolderMatch. I use it for synching up my USB drive, and I've found it to be useful for tons of other stuff, as well as synching file backups on different drives.

My wife: Guild Wars.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Directory Opus
    E6600
    Intel 975 board (BOXD975XBX2KR)
    eVGA7800GT
    2Gb Ram
    4-400gb HD
    2-500gb HD
    1-320gb HD
    1-74gb HD
    3ware Raid card
    2-DVD recorders
    Turbo-Cool 510 ATX (34A)
    Lian Li PC-201 case

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Emacs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    I'm sorry that you're too young to remember a time before Windows, or any OS for that matter, but there used to be a time we could boot a program straight off of a floppy w/o an OS..
    actually you still had the boot sector with MS [microsoft]-DOS on it. man i remember booting apples with MS-DOS. how ironic. apple originally booted off microsoft, now they are using intel chips. if you are a good bit older than i am [except you mention floppies and it was originally punchcards/paper and magnetic reels]... then you will recognize below:

people give bill gates a lot of shit, but microsoft was formed in the fact they wrote the OS that the OG "personal computer" used, the altair 8800 [c.1975]... on punch paper no less. the bootstrap [OS] was written on the flight out to MITS in order to sell them Micro-Soft BASIC, which evolved into MS-DOS.

IOW, the OS has always existed, it HAS to exist... but was originally called a bootstrap.

what program couldnt i live w/o? sadly, probably outlook. other apps i can adapt w/o... i just figure outlook is the most used app in my machine, other than possibly my browser at times.
    Last edited by procreate; 12-02-2006 at 03:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by procreate View Post
    actually you still had the boot sector with MS [microsoft]-DOS on it. man i remember booting apples with MS-DOS. how ironic. apple originally booted off microsoft, now they are using intel chips. if you are a good bit older than i am [except you mention floppies and it was originally punchcards/paper and magnetic reels]... then you will recognize below:

people give bill gates a lot of shit, but microsoft was formed in the fact they wrote the OS that the OG "personal computer" used, the altair 8800 [c.1975]... on punch paper no less. the bootstrap [OS] was written on the flight out to MITS in order to sell them Micro-Soft BASIC, which evolved into MS-DOS.

IOW, the OS has always existed, it HAS to exist... but was originally called a bootstrap.

what program couldnt i live w/o? sadly, probably outlook. other apps i can adapt w/o... i just figure outlook is the most used app in my machine, other than possibly my browser at times.
    I remember the days before a drive of any sort. The venerable Tandy PC's from the early 80's had no HDD, the floppy was optional (no joke) and you bought huge books of software full of lines of code to enter to avoid the expense of drives and media. It had no DOS, no OS of any sort, just a prompt.

I was playing with punchcard PC's in kindergarden, talk about a toy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

mat,
    Your about 9 years older then I am, but I can remember the Tandy's when I was in 7th grade at Deltona jr high
    We were forced to take computers as a elective. It would take all of the class period to punch in some endless code, just to see a rocket take off on
    the screen, or to make some stick figure chase his dog around
    It wasen't untill I hit high school{another forced elective}, that we got to play around with the "newer"
    5.25 floppys so we could play good ol' Battlechess and that was cool
    because it "only" took 35mins to load
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    "Experience is the benchmark of maturity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ah those were the days of typing code to play a game that you couldnt save... made all those little blips so special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody who ever had an early computer that used a cassette player for storage should get a kick out of running this Sinclair ZX emulator (http://www.spectaculator.com/). You can set it so that it will emulate the sounds they used to make...major trip down nostalgia lane for me there.

And uhh I reckon PQ Partition Magic is the one program I'd be hard pressed to replace or do without.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 12-07-2006 at 10:35 AM.