0 Posts

Default As expected...

-dB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dB,

This is quite interesting, since Alan Wake, UT 2007, Crysis and a few others that slipped my mind, have all said(developers)...can retrieve links if you'd like) that indeed all 4 cores will be utilized and of great value.

Whether this is lip service to market the *quads* is another story. On my part, there's much anticipation for these chips, but I've been on the bleeding edge of technology beofore and been burned, so I think I'll build a conroe rig around the 8800GTX(assuming that's what it's going to be called) and be smart about the situation to see how it materalizes.

Sphere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed. Fully using dual core will take awhile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there any benchmarks as of late showing how helpful a second core actually is?
    -dB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In *real world* gaming, I have yet to see useage of more than one core. I'm going off of my G15 keyboard which shows how much each is being used.

With that said, if they(game devs/programmers) can't utilize 2 cores, how in the hell are they going to use 4?

Sphere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"how in the hell are they going to use 4?"

Hardware is moving a lot faster then software. A new GPU is released every other day, can't say the same for any type of software.
    -dB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidhammock200 View Post
    Agreed. Fully using dual core will take awhile.
    It's all epenis status right now. BUT if you do rendering, or serious number crunching, Quad core is indeed useFULL.

I think that once devoplers see the value, they will code for it, but let's not forget that there's a huge installed single-core base that's currently paying their bills.

It's time for the software developers to take advantage of the platforms available, and unless the company has some major foresight, they will continue to code for the largest profit-base clientele..
    Last edited by SuperSix; 10-08-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSix View Post
    It's all epenis status right now. BUT if you do rendering, or serious number crunching, Quad core is indeed useFULL.

I think that once devoplers see the value, they will code for it, but let's not forget that there's a huge installed single-core base that's currently paying their bills.

It's time for the software developers to take advantage of the platforms available, and unless the company has some major foresight, they will continue to code for the largest profit-base clientele..
    Hopfully, Vista will be able to properly manage mulitasking in a multi-CPU system,
    as IMO most software developers are not going to commit the resources
    until there is a much larger installed base.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a tad misleading to say it's "useless" though. I mean, yes, in a single-threaded game (or any app) the performance benefits of adding cores/cpus is negligible, but any SMP advocate will tell you that once you've gone multicore you won't go back - everything is so much smoother.

I mean, I like installing windows updates while burning a cd and playing a game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi all,I have had some experience with this in Flight Sim X and have been through this.
    FSX is a demanding sim,on the box it says you can run this with a 1 ghz cpu and a 32 meg video card,yeah right,well this sim has POed many in the sim community,my dual core 170 Opty was no match for this sim,not even @ 3ghz,had to have all settings to the very lowest just to make it flyable.
    I just got C2D E6600 and a 680i MB and now I can use this sim with decent frame rates with settings more than half way to full,I haven't tweaked it much,waiting on my ST85ZF power supply,but here is an article from the guys who developed or worked on this sim,quite interesting read,he talks about the dual core cpu.

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?...id=369779&page