Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: operating system degradation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default operating system degradation...

ok, my current setup is pretty stable, best its ever been, using xp.

but its still not ideal, after a while, things seem to get a little corrupted, and slow downs, and bloating and all that.

In the past, I must have done about 20 formats and reinstalls after things stopping working properly, so I want to avoid that again.

what's it to do with...registry getting corrupted?

...I use firefox on line which is superb and keeps nasties away.

I'm preparing to change my system from amd to intel, its getting about time, so for a clean sweep, I am wondering a few things...

my current a8nsli has been great along with the amd cpu, but its time for something like a p5b methinks.

how do you prevent this sort of thing from happening?

One way I have thought of, is using separate hard drives for differing purposes...viz. one for games, and one for the web.

I do defrag from time to time, but that's only hard disk file shifting

Are there any better ways to do it?, just having redundancy wouldn't prevent things from going wrong in that way, would they?

And don't say get linux

So, what's the best way to manage a multi purpose rig with hard drives to keep everything optimal and from getting degraded, please

I have looked a little into raid and its a bit of a can of worms. there's a lot more to it away from the basics, but that's probably for real pro's

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately, it can't be prevented. Windows rots over time and the problem is the registry. It's just a flawed design. Pretty much every program writes to and reads from the registry, and due to bugs, program crashes, or just plain sloppiness - the registry eventually becomes a huge mess. Think about it like a community bathroom in a college dorm... one that nobody every cleans. Yeah, disgusting.

What I have done is once you get the computer set up and working just like you want it, use a program like Norton Ghost to make an image of the drive. That way when Windows gets bloated and slows down, you don't have to reinstall everything - you just restore the image and you're up and running very quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

good idea, thanks

..more hints very welcome,

not many responses sadly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I can honestly say I have never experienced degradation as you speak of it.

Do you run as a user or admin?

Quote Originally Posted by ianm2 View Post
    ok, my current setup is pretty stable, best its ever been, using xp.

but its still not ideal, after a while, things seem to get a little corrupted, and slow downs, and bloating and all that.

In the past, I must have done about 20 formats and reinstalls after things stopping working properly, so I want to avoid that again.

what's it to do with...registry getting corrupted?

...I use firefox on line which is superb and keeps nasties away.

I'm preparing to change my system from amd to intel, its getting about time, so for a clean sweep, I am wondering a few things...

my current a8nsli has been great along with the amd cpu, but its time for something like a p5b methinks.

how do you prevent this sort of thing from happening?

One way I have thought of, is using separate hard drives for differing purposes...viz. one for games, and one for the web.

I do defrag from time to time, but that's only hard disk file shifting

Are there any better ways to do it?, just having redundancy wouldn't prevent things from going wrong in that way, would they?

And don't say get linux

So, what's the best way to manage a multi purpose rig with hard drives to keep everything optimal and from getting degraded, please

I have looked a little into raid and its a bit of a can of worms. there's a lot more to it away from the basics, but that's probably for real pro's

thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

errr user I think

well I have admin tools on the control panel and logged in on user accounts as an admin, so I guess admin!!

...only just getting to grips with this whole pc thing after years....some things I know a lot on, eg. hardware, I only just found out how to access some other bits, too ( like system info, and even what my cpu was, yes I know very sad indeed, but I never bought most bits new, chosen, it just came together s/h) but its really that I never investigated and just used the thing.

MOSTLY...it happens with dodgy downloads, mozilla has done a lot for that, but also, a lot of crap freeware is to blame, which I learned pretty quick to avoid like the plague

but it still happens, allbeit more slowly, there is a fair amount of different programs on, which doesn't help

hence why I was thinking of separating applications by hard drive
    Last edited by ianm2; 04-04-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if you upgrade to the P5B you'll be re-installing again anyway so no problems there.

Windows does slow down a little over time I agree,not to the point where it's a problem though I don't think.If you are thinking it's sluggish you could try Regseeker to clean your registry of old defunct entries.I've never known it do harm and you get to make a back-up before deleting stuff anyway.

Easiest way to keep a clean system is keep the OS on a small partition.It's easy just re-installing once ever 6 months or so if you have good habits and keep the desktop clean.I generally leave mine till I need to hardware changes,maybe once a year if I'm lucky.
    AMD Athlon X2 4800 Toledo,Asus A8N-E,2x1gb Kingston Hyper X,2xSATA+2xIDE HDD's,XFX 7900gt,Silverstone Olympia OP650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CCleaner works well, it is like "Disk Cleanup" on steroids. Here is a link: http://www.ccleaner.com/
    " Don't believe everything you see and only half of what you read on the internet "

" We all dream of a world full of sunshine, happiness and peace.
    But there is a problem.
    That half of the people think it sounds like a wonderful place to live.
    The other half thinks it sounds like a wonderful place to pillage. "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TLH View Post

Easiest way to keep a clean system is keep the OS on a small partition..
    hmm not quite sure what you mean there, I thought the os and all progs that it ran had to be on the same partition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Should be read in conjunction with the rest of the statement.What I mean is it's easy to just reinstall if you keep only the OS on partition.Keep games,etc on D:/ and you don't end up reinstalling everything,just the OS.
    AMD Athlon X2 4800 Toledo,Asus A8N-E,2x1gb Kingston Hyper X,2xSATA+2xIDE HDD's,XFX 7900gt,Silverstone Olympia OP650

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any programs can be kept on a seperate partition or hard disk. Just point the shortcut to the *.exe.

I've found a good regestry cleaner can be a godsend. It will get rid of crap left over from an un-install, many programs don't do a very good job of cleaning up after themselves.(*cough*Symantic/Norton*cough*) I happen to use "Regestry Mechanic", it's never killed anything. Your milage may vary, I suppose.

Untill recently, I've been useing a 4 year old load of Win2000 with no noticable slowups. And I try a lot of proggies. Still useing Win2000, by the way, I see no reason to buy Xp, let alone Vista/Visa whatever. So call me a Luddite!

_ReeL
    *Disclaimer: - I may be wrong, but I'm not unsure.