Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New build, suggestions welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Paul's PC (56k warning)

So after a bit of searching and so forth, I've managed to pin down the manufacturer of my case. It's Chieftec, and not such a bad case after perusing the reviews. Lots of potential, hopefully.

Here are all of the major components in my PC-

SilverStone Olympia 650-

(Photo courtesy of Jonnyguru.com)

The Silverstone Olympia has beens serving me quite well lately. Intel Desktop Utilities show all the rails on spec until you get to about the hundredth's place. She provides all the juice necessary to power my rig, and any rig that I plan on building in the future. As Jonny mentioned, not all of the cables are sleeved, but some of the really noticeable ones are (the mainboard and PCI-E ones, for instance). It's heavy as crap, but works like a charm. I can't hear the fan on this thing, but that's probably due to the two thermaltake case fans I have in right now.

Chieftec Dragon DX-01 Aluminum Case-

(Photo courtesy of arstechnica.com)

This is the house of all of my PC components. It's a sturdy case, and is made out of aluminum (which makes it light). My case is actually the silver variety, but everything else is pretty much the same. I have plenty of drive bays, installing disk drives is a breeze and can be done in a matter of a minute or two, and it houses two intake and two exhaust 80mm fans. The plastic holders for the fans are a nice touch, which means that I don't have to fiddle around with a screw driver when putting new case fans in.
    The case has a few nifty wire management features that I didn't notice until reading the review (and had no idea what they were when my dad and I were building the case). Aside from that, there is a good amount of room for the mobo and components, but the bottom hard drive tray houses my IDE drive (I believe), which would get in the way of a new 8800 GFX card.

Intel D975XBX2-

(Photo courtesy of newegg.com)

Moving from an Intel OEM mobo in my Dell to the Bad Axe 2 has been a dream come true. I've managed to have tons of fun overclocking my processor and RAM on this thing, and most of the bios options are clear cut and helpful. The only gripe is the RAID array screen that tells me I don't have my RAID array set properly or something like that, even though I don't have a RAID array... It's a known bug.
    As far as the layout, there is plenty of room around the CPU for installing aftermarket coolers. I like all the extra SATA connections (8 total I believe), but I wish it had another IDE connection. The color is great, for those with a side window (me ).

Cooler Master Hyper TX LGA775-

(Photo courtesy of Coolermaster-USA.com)

This is actually the component that I feel best about purchasing. I can't think of any cooler that I would rather have. My Hyper TX is relatively quiet (we will find out for sure when the Vantec case fans get here), and running at full RPM it keeps my P4 Prescott down at 35C idle. Installation was relatively painless, although you really have to put some elbow grease in to shimmying off the plastic cover when installing. It comes pre-applied with some thermal paste that gets the job done (another hassle saver).

2x1GB Buffalo Firestix PC2-6400-

(Photo courtesy of buffalotech.com)

Maybe I have a tie for the components I feel best about purchasing. Pictures don't really do these heat spreaders justice on the firestix... they really are hott (with two T's for emphasis)! I have them overclocked to 4-4-4-12 at 900mhz and stock voltages (2.1V). For 170 bucks total, that makes these the best bang for your buck RAM on the market, AFAIK.

4x1 80mm Vantec Stealth Case fans-

(Photo courtesy of frostytech.com)

These little suckers will be pushing air around my case. Although they push less CFM than the fans they will be replacing, better wire management and running them at full RPM should keep things cool. Clocking in at around 20-25dBA, these will probably end up scaring me a few times into thinking that my case fans aren't running... Compared to my thermaltake harrier jet engines anyways.

EVGA 7900GS KO-

(Photo courtesy of newegg.com)

Here is another solid purchase. I picked this card up for 170 bucks from newegg, and now you can get it for 160. It runs a little warm, but better case circulation works wonders. I have it the core overclocked by 50mhz and the mem. overclocked by 40mhz, and it's running perfectly stable at stock volts. My only complaint is that the PCB is green instead of black, which would have looked hott with my mobo.

WD 40G hard drive (SATA)-

(Photo courtesy of westerndigital.com)

This came with my Dell PC, and was carried over to my new case. It holds my OS, even though my PC wants to boot off of my IDE (probably since it's bigger). It's nothing special, and will soon be replaced by a 250G WD with a 16mb cache and better times.

Maxtor 80G IDE hard drive-

(photo courtesy of Maxtor website, although maxtor has been acquired by Seagate)

This is the little bugger that's keeping me from using my CD Burner (in conjunction with the single IDE port on my mobo). Oh well, the price you pay for storage. Everyone make sure to say a prayer for this thing when I get my new WD drive, as this will probably be accompanying some garbage on it's way to the dump.
    Last edited by PaulTa; 03-04-2007 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Hosted myself...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's hotlinking?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTa View Post
    What's hotlinking?
    Linking with display to images someone else is hosting, thereby stealing bandwidth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Image Shack em'
    MSI P67A-GD65
    i72600K@4.8
    Corsair H70
    4x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 16Gb 1600
    MSI 670 GTX PE/OC
    2x750Gb Seagate Barracuda's RAID 0
    Zalman ZM-MFC1
    Lite-On Dvd burner
    SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    "Experience is the benchmark of maturity"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Save the images to your HD and then upload them at a hosting provider, like www.imageshack.us and go from there.
    Condoleeza Rice is nice but I prefer A-Roni

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy shit! I just did a few quick searches. Sorry guys, I'll save them to my photobucket and put them in that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, everything is fine now, right?

Comments on PC and mini-reviews are welcome too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTa View Post
    Ok, everything is fine now, right?
    Yep fine now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I "know" you can do better then that pathetic OC on the 7900GS