Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another gutless wonder

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    When did this happen? Apex Gaming products have been sold all year long here in the US and their site proudly proclaims Solytech as one of their founders.
    Recently as their factory is LITERALLY closed. Drove by it last time I was in China. Sorry I didn't take pictures.

I see the the site is ©2020, but I have no idea where they're getting these PSUs from if they're not new old stock.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Polaris20 (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Recently as their factory is LITERALLY closed. Drove by it last time I was in China. Sorry I didn't take pictures.

I see the the site is ©2020, but I have no idea where they're getting these PSUs from if they're not new old stock.
    Perhaps Solytech sold their designs off to another company to make? Definitely odd, but adds more of a reason to avoid them in the future, that's for sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    524 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Perhaps Solytech sold their designs off to another company to make? Definitely odd, but adds more of a reason to avoid them in the future, that's for sure.
    Both factories that their website claims that Solytech own are closed. Before COVID, when I could travel, I used to drive by them a lot. I always wished I could take pictures because you can still see the shadows of "Deer Computers" on the wall where the original letters used to be.

The parent company is publically traded in Taiwan. And Taiwan does have a way of propping up public companies any way they can (similar to Korea). Furthermore, in China you cannot own your own factory. The Chinese government has to have a controlling interest. That's why many companies have different factory names (HEC is Loyalty Founder, Andyson is YuLin, etc.).

Around the time Solytech made the Bulldog chassis for Corsair, they were trading at around $40 per share. Now they're trading at $5 per share.

Could be they had to close all of their factories in China and resort to outsourcing as a means of restructuring. Much like what Enermax ended up doing. They could have gone as far as getting rid of the engineering group as well and are just rehashing the same designs from 10 years ago over and over again.

If that's the case, sooner or later it will catch up with them. IEC 62368-1 and equivalent will become required in EU, NA, Argentina, Africa, Middle East, Australia and much of Asia in 2021. If you don't redesign your circuits to meet these requirements, I don't know who you're going to sell to.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Falkentyne (12-10-2020), Polaris20 (2 Weeks Ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

EVGA might still buy, they've got what.. another 3 weeks to release a new line?