Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud fan with AMD CPU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Loud fan with AMD CPU

Hi! I just upgraded my rig to AMD Ryzen 5 generation CPU. It works like a dream with just one issue. The fan. It is a fan that came with the CPU. It works in weird ways, means it suddenly speeds up - making noise, then slows down. Then it is quiet for a while and then speeds up again etc. That doesn't happen during gaming but while browsing websites or working. I have immediately installed a monitoring program to check the temperatures but nothing is out of ordinary, the CPU isn't overheated. While idle or browsing, it reaches 40C and while gaming, it sometimes jumps to 65C. What is wrong? Is anything wrong at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts

Update your motherboard firmware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Temperature spikes are normal with Ryzen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Adjust your fan profile.

Default profile on the AMD cooler solution goes to very low, and then ramps up quickly as you mention.

You may also want to check your TIM.

My 5600XT was as you described with the default AMD Cooler, I went to AIO with thermal grizzly and all is good now.

I always leave the fans running at the highest value that I can't hear (around 30% on my rig) that way they seldom ever need to ramp up quickly...It has to do with thermal mass, and transfer rates.

IDK why people want fans to go to zero...it is the CHANGE in background noise that drives you crazy...a bunch of fans running in constant low/medium mode actually tend to cancel each other out.

Just my opinion since you asked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    IDK why people want fans to go to zero...it is the CHANGE in background noise that drives you crazy...

I agree; I think it is the brain anticipating a message in change.

But I think the curve might be electronics friendly over user friendly in as much as it is trying to keep the chip hot at low loads so that the thermal variation will be reduced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I agree; I think it is the brain anticipating a message in change.
    million years of predator /prey evolution.

You are are hard wired to notice sounds that are close in proximity and that are abrupt.

You don't startle to the constant sound of airplanes and cars...even though they are loud and unnatural.

However a stick breaking behind you make your head swivel and the hair of your neck stand on end. Why?? ...You never spent a day hunting or tracking....you are a pacifist or HINDU...It makes no difference.

Your brain is hardwired to notice this close proximity sound intensity and go to alarm activity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    IDK why people want fans to go to zero...it is the CHANGE in background noise that drives you crazy...
    I don't think so at all. I don't play games, so my computer's fans' speed is constant. They're however very loud and continuously annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

IDK why people want fans to go to zero...it is the CHANGE in background noise that drives you crazy...a bunch of fans running in constant low/medium mode actually tend to cancel each other out.
    That's very individual thing.

I for sure get annoyed by constant sound of, say, 1000 rpm 120 mm fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    That's very individual thing.

I for sure get annoyed by constant sound of, say, 1000 rpm 120 mm fan.
    Well, you can say anything is an individual preference.

However, my point was that there is science available to see involuntary response differences, blood pressure, brain waves, etc. etc. etc.

We live in a world that is completely artificial for sure. I remember spending two weeks fishing in Canada...portaged back three lakes, not a person on the lake, no motors, no planes (1970s Northern Quebec).

After the two week, stopped at a dinner....the sound of dishes and loud talking made me feel like I was at a rock concert.

PS, when working alone at my desk, simple foam earplugs are great for filtering out background fan noise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Actually, the real reason some people are annoyed by some fans over others is not so much the decibels, but the frequency of the noise. For example: Noctua fans are actually louder in dBA than most fans (yes. I'm saying their marketing lies), but because of their paddle fan blade shape, the noise is a very low frequency, so it's less noticeable.

That's why people complain so much about coil whine. It's not loud at all. In fact, the noise is typically below the noise floor of most anechoic chambers. But the frequency is so high, people pick it out immediately.