Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Interesting take" on the importance of capacitor quality within a PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyzenMaster View Post
    They said that is impossible since the supervisor IC did not have enough pins.
    I remember a person called Stefan who always used that logic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

Jon Gerow (11-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyzenMaster View Post
    I said the supervisor IC definitely says it has support for OCP on the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v rails. They said that is impossible since the supervisor IC did not have enough pins.

Lets say one wants to trigger if there is an overcurrent on any rail; the digital OR logic is quite simple. If A OR B OR C = 1 on the input than the output should be one. Now the supervisor IC only needs one input but can cover an indefinite number of rails using OR gates.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 11-26-2020 at 02:41 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Lets say one wants to trigger if there is an overcurrent on any rail; the digital OR logic is quite simple. If A OR B OR C = 1 on the input than the output should be one. Now the supervisor IC only needs one input but can cover an indefinite number of rails using OR gates.
    Sure, if we go with this idea then you'd need another IC that contains the current measurement mechanisms and your OR logic, then relays the result to the supervisor IC's "one input". But did we really make it simpler this way, rather than just using a single supervisor IC capable of monitoring as many rails as we need? I don't think so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Sure, if we go with this idea then you'd need another IC that contains the current measurement mechanisms and your OR logic, then relays the result to the supervisor IC's "one input". But did we really make it simpler this way, rather than just using a single supervisor IC capable of monitoring as many rails as we need? I don't think so.

I am countering the argument that 'there are not enough pins on the supervisor IC' and this approach means one is not limited by how many pins there might be, so I'd say it was much less restrictive. It also has the advantage that one can implement a 'slow blow' feature.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 11-26-2020 at 03:10 PM.