Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LGA775 HSF roundup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only perfect contact is to directly solder the hs to the DIE of the cpu.

#1 Abit IP35-Pro| E6400 @ 3.2ghz (B2) | G.SKILL 2GBPK-6400 (4gigs) | 7900GT KO 256MB | OCZ 520-PS |
    #2 Abit IP35-E | E2140 @ 2.66ghz | G.SKILL 2GBNQ-6400 | XFX 7300GS |
    #3 XXX | Celey-L 420 | 512MBx2 Crucial DDR2-533 D9GMH | Voodoo 5 5500 | Aureal Vortex SQ2500 (A3D 2)
    #4 Asus N4L-VM DH | T1300E | 1Gigx2 Crucial DDR2-667 D9HNL | XFX 8400GS |
    NVIDIA User Group Member

"I Love To Camp!"
    "Comensing Shock Therapy!"
    HeatWare

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    why bother with a cooler heatspreader on a CPU heatspreader when you can have heatpipes in direct contact with the CPU's heatspreader
    Oh gee, I dunno... could it be because heatpipes don't produce a good contact with the CPU's heatspreader (leaving obvious gaps, as seen on the photos) and because the "naked" heatpipes have other drawbacks (such as the one that I mentioned in my previous post, about polishing/sanding)? Have you even read what I posted in my previous post?

The argumnent that the heatpipes don't make direct contact with 100% of the CPU's heatspreader lacks logic.
    How does it "lacks logic" if ANYONE can see it with their own eyes from the photos (or do their own tests, if they have this heatsink)

Do you think that the contact between the Thermaltake's "heatspeader" and it's heatpips are "perfect?"
    Maybe, or maybe not, but I might as well assume they are "perfect" since I haven't seen any photos (or other media) which would suggest otherwise (that there are small "gaps" not filled properly with solder between the heatpipes and the heatspreaders on the Thermalright's or Arctic Cooling's or other similar types of heatsinks)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa... Don't start sounding like a Thermalright fan boy now.

I say it lacks logic because common sense would dictate that the less material between creating the heat and what's dissipating the most heat is going to be the best thermal option.

The little aluminum plate on the Thermalright is not going to dissipate much heat by itself. Obviously it's there to give a smooth surface between the CPU's heat spreader and the heatpipes. But you can't tell me that the heatpipe's aren't the whole point of the Thermalright, right? The heat still has to make it to the copper heatpipes and wick their way up to the radiator. Same is true with the Ice Age, but with the Ice Age they don't have to go through an aluminum plate first.

As for the "gaps" in the Ice Age, I don't see where that poses a problem. I mean, it's not like heat is going to "blockade" in the gaps. Heat needs to be thought of as fluid almost. The heat will make it's way to the heatpipes and thus wick their way up the heatpipes. So gaps or not, it just seems to me that having the same heatpipes you would have one any other heatsink having direct contact with the CPU heatspreader would provide better heat dissipation than heat having to go through an aluminum block that doesn't have as good of thermal conductivity before getting to the heatpipes.

That's all. Seemed obvious to me. Didn't mean to sound insulting if it didn't seem obvious to you. I've got an Ice Age and Ultra-120 on order and Wolf has volunteered to do the shoot out so we'll see.... without any Thermalright fan boyism.

It's too bad techPowerUp! didn't have a Thermalright to compare to the Ice Age, but you have to admit that it's impressive that it beat out every other heatsink they used by a pretty decent margin.

And for the record: My machines have a Corsair Nautilus, an Asus Silent Square and a couple Ultra X-Winds. Just so you know I'm not picking favorites here. I'm not saying the Thermalright DOESN'T cool any better than the 3R. All I'm saying is "it would seem like the 3R would cool better." You don't see my logic behind that and that's cool. But we also haven't seen enough 3R Ice Age reviews to say that it doesn't cool better either.
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 05-10-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa... Don't start sounding like a Thermalright fan boy now
    Fanboy? Hardly - all my current heatsinks that are currently in use are made by Arctic Cooling, and it's not quite the same company as Thermalright, wouldn't you agree? I am not even a "fanboy" of the heatsinks with heatpipes in general - I have a regular aluminium (or aluminum, however the hell it's spelled in whatever country) $16 AC heatsink+fan happily cooling my overclocked (by 400 MHz) AMD X2 CPU Not to mention the Zalman's video cooler that is happily cooling one of my video cards (which is powered by ATI GPU) in my other PC, as well as the excellent Antec case (filled with Antec's fans) that is being used for my primary PC (which, surprisingly, has a video card with Nvidia's GPU). I suppose I can also mention that I have different brands of power supplies powering each of my PC's (from FSP to Enermax). So I am far from being a "fanboy" of something, I just choose whatever product that has best "features : perfomance : price" ratio at whatever moment I decide to shop around, regardless of the silly brand names which might be stamped on these products

I say it lacks logic because common sense would dictate that the less material between creating the heat and what's dissipating the most heat is going to be the best thermal option.
    Yes, it would dictate that (I never said that thickness has no role on thermal conductance, I did went to college after all ), but common sense would also dictate that the more direct contact area between 2 conducting materials (such as between 2 copper plates) = the faster the heat will flow between them, no? And that any sort of gaps will decrease that direct contact area, thus causing the slower heat transfer (why else would some people get decreased temperature of their CPU's when they polish the surface area of their heatsinks to a mirror-like state?). So how does this lacks logic, since this is what I exactly meant when I first mentioned the gaps on that "ice age" heatsink?

As for the "gaps" in the Ice Age, I don't see where that poses a problem
    O RLY (now where is that "owl" smilie when you need it most?...)? No problem at all? Not even the fact that the air or thermal paste that will fill these gaps will conduct the heat much slower (and letting CPU heat up higher) compared to the situation where there wouldn't be any gaps (or at least not as huge and visible gaps as on this heatsink)?

Didn't mean to sound insulting
    Oh, it's not insulting in any way, especially since there was nothing logically wrong with what I actually said On the other hand, speaking about gaps having no impact on heat transfer is... well... how should I put this... Well, I'll also try to not be insulting towards anyone

I've got an Ice Age and Ultra-120 on order and Wolf has volunteered to do the shoot out so we'll see....
    That's good, but whether one of the heatsinks will beat the other will not really show the effectiveness of one method of heat transfer ("naked heatpipes" directly touching the CPU's heatspreader) versus the other (more traditional approach) since there are many variables involved (the total surface area of all the fins, the quality of soldering points between the fins and the heatpipes, the exact material that the fins and the heatspreaders are made from, etc.) Of course, you might try to modify the Thermalright's heatsink in the same way the "ice age" is modified - by removing the lower heatspreader plate (exposing the heatpipes), then somehow "flattening" the exposed heatpipes and then comparing the results with the stock version of Thermalright's heatsink... Now THAT would be really interesting.

P.S: I should really, REALLY stop writing such long-winded posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually alexk, you're splitting hairs here. The current crop of CPU's all have heatspreaders on them so the heatspreader in question is acting as the bottom plate for the IceAge. If you look at many of the heatpipe coolers on the market they have the heatpipes going into the CPU interface plate and it's just gooped up with a shitload of thermal grease. The IceAge simply takes that out of the equation. The heatspreader is going to give the cooler more contact area than the CPU die has and it will stop hot spots on the die by doing what it's name implies... spreading the heat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I'm going to ask for a recommendation from the other side for a change.

Can someone recommend an LGA775 cooler purely from a bling-bling view before performance? I'm building my first windowed system and looking for bling.

I am currently running a Cedar Mill core and it idles around typically around 20C with the retail HSF. So anything that performs the same or better than this will be fine.

However, I don't have a lot of height, the largest cooler that I measured for is 78mm.

Thanks

- JT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For bling the Zalman CNPS9500 LED is awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 9500 is sweet but too tall for my application. I'm also considering a Swiftech MCX775-V with a cold cathode fan on top.

Too many choices. Heh.

- JT

The Thermaltake Blue Orb II looks cool as well but always seems to be out of stock everywhere. I just worry about the fans on coolers like this burning out.. have to replace the whole thing.

- JT
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 05-13-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or breaking a fan blade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, ya know. The inside of my case is painted black, my motherboard is red and black, when I build my new PSU cables I am going to be using red connectors, black heatshrink, and red sleeving.

Maybe I should go with a Red Orb then.

- JT