Thread: Seasonic Prime Titanium vs Corsair AX Rebrand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Seasonic Prime Titanium vs Corsair AX Rebrand

I want to buy a new Titanium PSU and I don't know which one I should buy. The Corsair AX850 is 245, while the Seasonic TX-850 is 268 (same as Corsair AX1000). Aside from the 2 years extra warranty of the Seasonic, I like its design and aesthetics way more. But is it really worth the extra money?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

They are both overpriced and not worth it in my opinion. You pay for the Titanium batch, but for a lot less you can get a better or similar PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

AXi's have Corsair Link though, if you're into that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NotReginald View Post
    AXi's have Corsair Link though, if you're into that.
    I'm definitely NOT into that.

I was just curious why the Corsair AX850 seems to have higher efficiency, as well as lower temps/noise, if everything is basically the same as the Seasonic TX-850, which can draw way more power than what's designed for (so probably better components).

https://www.kitguru.net/components/p...pply-review/5/
    https://www.kitguru.net/components/p...pply-review/6/

The Seasonic is very likely to be an older unit tho, since review date is 2016.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Corsair uses a 1600RPM fan the Seasonic a 1800RPM one, as shown in the review. But that's a Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W, which is EOL and replaced by a Seasonic Prime TX-850 which has some minor changes. This one could also use a 1600RPM fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markzolla View Post
    I'm definitely NOT into that.

I was just curious why the Corsair AX850 seems to have higher efficiency, as well as lower temps/noise, if everything is basically the same as the Seasonic TX-850
    Because it's not the same.

Contrary to popular believe, Corsair doesn't just take another company's PSU and slap their label on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Because it's not the same.

Contrary to popular believe, Corsair doesn't just take another company's PSU and slap their label on it.
    I saw you in the video about the AX850/1000 on Corsair's YT channel, so I guess you are the person behind its design.

Since I'm curious, could I know why you chose to keep the Hong Hua 135mm fan instead of using a better 140mm fan from Corsair's lineup? Also, why did you reduce the number of connectors, and thus modular cables, compared to the Seasonic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by markzolla View Post
    I saw you in the video about the AX850/1000 on Corsair's YT channel, so I guess you are the person behind its design.

Since I'm curious, could I know why you chose to keep the Hong Hua 135mm fan instead of using a better 140mm fan from Corsair's lineup? Also, why did you reduce the number of connectors, and thus modular cables, compared to the Seasonic?
    Using the Hong Hua fan was use due to height limitations between the fan and the components inside the PSU. The Corsair fan was a little "too thick". But at least Corsair got to use their driver IC in the fan. It's not the same HH fan that Seasonic uses.

The number of connectors on the housing was simply something defined by marketing.

Essentially, instead of R&D going out and saying "what can we relabel", marketing tasked R&D with the goal of getting a Titanium PSU with "X" number of cables/connectors, as well as a number of other requirements, and Seasonic won the bid. They knew the TX was "pretty close" so Seasonic used that as a reference point in their bid.