Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is too old for a (Seasonic) PSU?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How old is too old for a (Seasonic) PSU?

Greetings,
    I'm currently using a Seasonic SS-1050XM2 PSU for my gaming PC, based on research found here on JonnyGuru. Needless to say the PSU has been a non-event; it's worked all the time, every time, with no issues. It's powered two generations of CPU (overclocked 4790k to overclocked 8700k) and three generations of GPU (980ti SLI, 1080ti, and 2080ti).

That being said I purchased the unit in 2015 and will be building another gaming 'generation' in the near future as a full on showpiece; 10900k, rtx 3080 (or 3090?), custom loop water cooled, bling, etc. I've done some research on the topic of PSU 'age' and the results have been 'inconclusive' so I figured I'd ask. Is it time for a new PSU?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

This is still a very good unit, I'd keep using it until it starts showing some issues.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rafal_iB_PL For This Useful Post:

Falconeer (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Falconeer View Post
    Greetings,
    Is it time for a new PSU?
    No. It's still a modern psu of high quality. It can go for another 5 years, at least.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to --Sid-- For This Useful Post:

Falconeer (10-19-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rafal_iB_PL View Post
    This is still a very good unit, I'd keep using it until it starts showing some issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by --Sid-- View Post
    No. It's still a modern psu of high quality. It can go for another 5 years, at least.
    Excellent, thank both of you for the info!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

What is the issue with sleep modes for modern computers? could that not motivate purchasing a new supply?
    Last edited by ashiekh; 10-19-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    What is the issue with sleep modes for modern computers? could that not motivate purchasing a new supply?
    Not for me, the first thing I do with windows is disable all the BS sleep mode settings.

When I am using a computer, I want it ON...not shutting down and sleeping every time I look away for a second.

To save energy, I turn my computer OFF completely, when I leave it unattended.

Same insanity with cars that shut off at every intersection...yeah, nothing speeds up traffic like every car in the line being delayed for 3 seconds while the engine turns on again.

INSANITY ON INSANITY.

I live in Austin TX and they want to spend several 100 billion on bus and trains...increase property tax 20%...as a DOWNPAYMENT on a transit system.

Looked at current STATS....12,000 people use mass transit per day....out of a population of 2 million.

Everyday I watch the completely empty( I mean i look in the windows of the last 20 buses, and not a single rider) buses circling around the city.

Yeah, I am triggered.!!!!!!

Nothing worse than "energy efficiency" applied to a degree that the appliance no longer works.

Toilets that ALWAYS take two flushes....Dishwashers that require you hand dry your dishes because they are wet when you take them out....water that makes you take 15 minutes to wash your hands(not because of covid concern..because it takes that long to get the soap off with the trickle)

Yup, I can afford for my computer TO ACTUALLY WORK, when I am using it instead of shutting down every 10 seconds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

I like sleep exactly so the computer is up and running in a flash and I don't have to wait.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 10-20-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I like sleep exactly so the computer is up and running in a flash and I don't have to wait.
    I find this funny, as it's sort of a perversion of the original intent of the sleep "feature". If I'm not wrong (it happens), sleep was intended to be a waking slumber during the course of a session where you might be away for, say, an hour at a meeting. Hibernation, on the other hand, was supposed to be the deeper state just above death...I mean, off. Sooo, if you leave your computer on all the time allowing it to only lapse into a sleep state, I suppose that's better from a green perspective than leaving it on full power 24/7 but I somehow get the feeling it would still upset the low power Nazis.

I also *hate* most power saving features of a PC. I've given them a shot - many times, trying to configure them just so... but I always end up finding them supremely annoying anyway. By the same weird token though I've never been comfortable leaving a PC on 24/7. Intuition (that pesky bane of scientific objectivity) says doing so will shorten its life but I've read many compelling arguments for just the opposite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts

I think my PC goes down to 2W in sleep mode.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 10-20-2020 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
    I find this funny, as it's sort of a perversion of the original intent of the sleep "feature". If I'm not wrong (it happens), sleep was intended to be a waking slumber during the course of a session where you might be away for, say, an hour at a meeting. Hibernation, on the other hand, was supposed to be the deeper state just above death...I mean, off. Sooo, if you leave your computer on all the time allowing it to only lapse into a sleep state, I suppose that's better from a green perspective than leaving it on full power 24/7 but I somehow get the feeling it would still upset the low power Nazis.

I also *hate* most power saving features of a PC. I've given them a shot - many times, trying to configure them just so... but I always end up finding them supremely annoying anyway. By the same weird token though I've never been comfortable leaving a PC on 24/7. Intuition (that pesky bane of scientific objectivity) says doing so will shorten its life but I've read many compelling arguments for just the opposite.
    Yeah, I know....powering up and down is actually harder than not.

But...most of my kit lasts 10 years or more....often to the point of complete obsolescence.

Yeah, it would be great if it were like china, or granite steps.... to last a thousand years if you take care of it.

But alas and alack....I have become used to the disposable nature of our modern technology.

My HP 15c still works from 1982...but that is about it.

My son wanted to tune up a perfectly good manual typewriter...(good luck find the right oil, much less ribbon.)
    I think looking online, there was like one guy in country that did repairs (NY CITY)

So, yeah, I liked the old mechanism of typing on a manual typewriter, but simply have to go with good mechanical keyboard instead.

Crazy old man rants can go on forever.