Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Galvanic corrosion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, so possibly if longevity is paramount rather than absolute thermal performance, you might be specifically concerned with a paste's potential to facilitate galvanic corrosion, hence the point of the thread. I think it's an interesting angle. I also think about my PC mostly from a longevity/durability standpoint, with performance being a distant second consideration, even behind aesthetics (a relatively new concern of mine).

Up to now I've only considered what might happen to the paste in terms of "drying out". I don't want to remove a heatsink any more than I have to. Ever. Murphy's Law being what it is!
    Last edited by 99wjtx; 4 Days Ago at 10:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Yeah, I can assure you that the warranty will be voided.
    Well it's a console so the warranty period is basically worthless as it essentially only covers SID or DOA cases as it's only 2 years long.

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    You can claim that anything is serviceable....but if the company welds, seals, or glues the assembly together....and puts stickers on the case indicating that removing any of those voids the warranty...
    Warranty Void stickers are not applicable or enforceable in the US. Also, if you look at the PS5 breakdown on Youtube they didn't weld, seal, or glue anything to make it hard to disassemble. The only thing that's to be seen is if they use any odd driver bits like security, torx, etc. If I had to guess you'll probably need a Torx #8 as they've used that bit on all PS3 & PS4 models (including Pro.) That really should be the only obstacle for most folks. You can check out iFixIt for more information but all of Sony's consoles over the last 14 years have been very serviceable by the user as long as you're not worried about having to deal with any warranty void nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tator Tot View Post
    Warranty Void stickers are not applicable or enforceable in the US.
    Just as an FYI: This is only true on a very high level. The Magnuson-Moss act applies to users that should be allowed to upgrade RAM, upgrade CPU, swap out a fan, etc. If they have to "dig in" and start de-soldering stuff, the Magnuson-Moss act doesn't float in court.