Thread: RTX 3080 + CX750M (GREEN) PSU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RTX 3080 + CX750M (GREEN) PSU

Hi All,

After a lot of research and reading the post done here a while back about the CX750M (Green), I've started to stress a bit. I know that Nvidia recommends a 750w PSU for the RTX 3080.
    I have a i7-8700k (at 1.28v @ 4.9ghz), and my RTX 3080 is in the shipping process.
    I've used the CX750M (Green) since 2015, initially with a i7-4700k and a GTX 980. I then upgraded to the 8700k with a GTX 1080. I have never had any issues with the PSU and in fact, I actually thought that it was a really good PSU!

After reading the horror stories online, I can't seem to come to a definitive decision. I really wasn't planning on spending an additional $130+ for a new PSU.

With all that said: Will I be okay with the CX750M (Green) PSU? I'm totally fine if the PSU itself fails, and/or if I'm getting issues with running games and then face the "ok, I need a better PSU". However, I am not okay with the PSU failing and taking my new RTX 3080 or any other components with it, that's what terrifies me.

Any suggestions? I've been stressing about this too much.

Thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

"(Green)" doesn't matter with the 750W. People use "Green" to scare CX-M users because the lower wattage were group regulated. The 750W always used DC to DC and had a full 62A (744W) on the +12V. And while it's double forward, it uses MOSFETs for the synchronous rectification as opposed to the Schottky diodes that cheaper Bronze units typically use.

That said, I will say "if you have money for a 3080, you have money for a new, modern PSU" like I usually do in these cases. But you shouldn't be "scared" to use a CX750M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jon, thank you so much. That's the relief I needed. I do agree with your last statement, but it was more of I was really not planning to spend the additional cash; I was pretty much pushing it with the card itself.
    Ok so going forward, looks like all I'll need is an additional Type 3 corsair compatible cable, which I'm thinking I can find for cheap on Amazon.

Thanks again! Really feeling relieved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, it looks like I should only be using around ~650w per https://outervision.com/b/Oz3LGO.
    Which I noted in the review is about what the CX750M caps out at. So long as I don't have to worry about it "frying" my brand new card, I'll use this PSU. Seems like my fears were based upon it solely being "Green", and I didn't realize it wasn't part of that group (since it's not a lower wattage PSU).

If for some reason I get crashes and issues, then of course, I'll upgrade the PSU to something of higher quality.