Thread: Will gallium nitride electronics change the world?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Default Will gallium nitride electronics change the world?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I read the news that Xiaomi, together with the new flagship smartphones, has released a new charger. It has a power of 65W and stands out because it is one of the first or even the first smartphone gears (and not only) to use gallium nitride (GaN). According to the source, other manufacturers are also going to start using gallium nitride. In particular, it is Huawei, Samsung, Oppo and even Apple.

Power of 65 W, this is a breakthrough, it would be convenient to have one charger to charge your phone tablet and laptop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the limited reading I've done, it would seem that gallium just might have a very bright future, I guess as a consequence of the continued rising demand for aluminum wherein gallium can be extracted from bauxite, since apparently it's found there in moderate abundance, meaning an entirely new industry for large-scale gallium production needn't be built. It's already in place.

For that matter, at least that aspect of production has been in existence for decades yet save for some military applications apparently gallium nitride hasn't seen much popular adoption. There must be good reasons why but I have to wonder if some of it might have to do with business decisions regarding long-term sustainability. That is, why roll out gallium nitride and play that card when you can continue to milk silicon for as long as possible?

But this seems to be the ploy across a variety of industries and technologies and it generally takes a disruptor of some sort to jostle things up and move them along.
    Last edited by 99wjtx; 09-23-2020 at 04:50 PM.