Thread: 3080 psu requirements

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3080 psu requirements

I have a ryzen 5 3600, b450, processor, 32 gigs ddr, a small radiator for the cpu. Big question is with a EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G+ 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply, the recommendation is a 750 watt psu. Any idea if the psu can handle the 3080 or is it time to upgrade that as well? Or do we have to wait for more testing?
    Last edited by Jon Gerow; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Should be O.K.
    wattage side the PSU is enough, the unknown is the transient load, in time people will know the answer, in general that good PSU, i would stay with him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

My recommendation is, just stick with your current power supply, and only swap it for some 850+ watt if you find out that your current PSU actually encounters the reboot in games.

FYI, right now only a handful of 80+ Gold/Pt 650W models can stably pass the FCP stress test. If you're lucky enough, your PSU might be among those models. Others usually trip the OPP after several minutes or hours of load testing.

Your CPU should be way less power hungry than an 8-10 core "*-lake" CPU, but I guess you will want to upgrade it to a more powerful one. Even if your upgraded build will trip the OPP when both CPU and GPU are loaded (the FCP test), it's possible that you never encounter that situation because the games you play might not stress CPU or GPU that much. In some games the GPU spike is over 100W lower than in some other games (on RTX2080Ti/3080/Vega64). Same things happen on the CPU side. So you're definitely going to see many more 650W models which fail in the FCP test but pass the game test, since most games don't stress high core-count CPUs so well.
    Last edited by Travis; 09-23-2020 at 12:54 AM.