Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Power (Help me decide on my next PSU)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Unlimited Power (Help me decide on my next PSU)

First time posting here.
    The time has come to build a new PC and once again I'm stuck at what PSU to get.
    I've read/viewed a bunch o reviews but after discovering this site today I decided to ask the community for help.

First, my planned specs:
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3800x (Or 4000 series equivalent)
    • MSI MAG Tomahawk x570 WiFi
    • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16GB (2x8) @3600Mhz
    • nVidia RTX 3080
    • Phanteks P600S
    • 1x256 SSD, 1x1TB SSD (SATA3)

I researched a lot, made a fairly long list but I'll post a couple of models that I have my eyes on:
    1. be quiet! Straight Power 11 - 750W - Gold - 107,67 ($127.81)
    2. Seasonic Focus PX-750 - 750W - Platinum - 107,67 ($127.81)
    3. Seasonic PRIME GX-750 - 750W - Gold - 127,18 ($150.97)
    4. Corsair RM750i - 750W - Gold - 130,08 ($154.41)
    5. SilverStone Strider Platinum - 750W - Platinum - 134,36 ($159.61)
    6. Corsair RM750x (2018) - 750W - Gold - 135,33 ($160.64)
    7. EVGA SuperNova G3 - 850W - Gold - 113,51 ($134.74)
    8. be quiet! Straight Power 11 - 850W - Gold - 129,30 ($153.48)
    9. Seasonic Focus PX-850 - 850W - Platinum - 129,56 ($153.79)
    10. Corsair HX850 - 850W - Platinum - 141,53 ($168.00)

These are the models I can afford and are available in my region (Europe-Montenegro).
    As far as I saw from my research all of this models are good, but since I'm not super knowledgeable about PSUs I'd like to hear an opinion from someone who is.
    Something I value above all is reliability, second to that would be efficiency and noise (quieter PSU have an adventage).

I'm not planning on overclocking my components, at least not at the beginning (first 1-2 years), but that is something I would like to do in the future so keep that in mind. Also I'm planning to use this PC 90% for gaming, and we are talking about 4 hours per day, up to 8h on weekend (between me and my brother).

I hope this helps, thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts

First one, be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W, is the one I would choose. It's a great PSU, high quality, silent, good performance and the cheapest one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

names_plissken (09-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Go for either of the first two, be quiet! should be a bit quieter (duh) under full load (100% on both CPU and GPU, i.e not in games) but Focus PX would be just as quiet under low to moderate load. And 750W would be enough for this build, probably even under OC'd GPU but we don't know exact numbers yet obviously. Other alternatives i don't see there i would definitely consider are Corsair RM-x, Bitfenix Whisper (or Enermax Revolution DF which is essentially the same thing), Seasonic Focus Gold and rebrands (Antec HCG Gold, Phanteks AMP), Super Flower Leadex II or III (ARGB or not), Thermaltake GF1 (ARGB or not), in no particular order, all good and quiet enough.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    First one, be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W, is the one I would choose. It's a great PSU, high quality, silent, good performance and the cheapest one.
    I was leaning toward it myself, that one or either Corsair RM750i or Corsair RM750x.
    850W might be to much for system and my wallet but I included them in a list, because if there's something extra quality in that range I'm willing to pay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    Go for either of the first two, be quiet! should be a bit quieter (duh) under full load (100% on both CPU and GPU, i.e not in games) but Focus PX would be just as quiet under low to moderate load. And 750W would be enough for this build, probably even under OC'd GPU but we don't know exact numbers yet obviously. Other alternatives i don't see there i would definitely consider are Corsair RM-x, Bitfenix Whisper (or Enermax Revolution DF which is essentially the same thing), Seasonic Focus Gold and rebrands (Antec HCG Gold, Phanteks AMP), Super Flower Leadex II or III (ARGB or not), Thermaltake GF1 (ARGB or not), in no particular order, all good and quiet enough.
    For RTX 3080 nVidia is suggesting 750W, on a lot of online power consumption calculators it says that it's more than enough.
    Also RM750i vs RM750x they are almost the same in terms of price. I heard that "i" have some kind of monitoring capabilities but I'm not sure I fully understand it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I were you I'd go with EVGA SuperNova G3. It's never too much power

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by names_plissken View Post
    For RTX 3080 nVidia is suggesting 750W, on a lot of online power consumption calculators it says that it's more than enough
    They can't suggest anything yet as we don't have power draw numbers for nVidia Ampere GPUs.
    Where are reviews tho ? I thought RTX3080 embargo was supposed to fall today ...

I heard that "i" have some kind of monitoring capabilities but I'm not sure I fully understand it
    Yeah, you can tweak the fan curve on it, switch between single and multi-rail modes and monitor power draw. RM-i is also different inside from new RM-x, with slightly better performance characteristics but they're already under the 'good' threshold on RM-x anyway. The only significant difference between RM-x and RM-i IMO is better quality fan on the latter but i wouldn't pay more than 10$ more for it personally.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    They can't suggest anything yet as we don't have power draw numbers for nVidia Ampere GPUs.
    [I]Where are reviews tho ? I thought RTX3080 embargo was supposed to fall today ...
    The reviews are on, the card is using anywhere from 320W to 350W as far as I see, and the total system usage is round 550W to 570W, that is for the Founders Edition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts

Still the Straight Power 11 750W imo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to -The_Mask- For This Useful Post:

names_plissken (09-20-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

The reviews are on, the card is using anywhere from 320W to 350W as far as I see, and the total system usage is round 550W to 570W, that is for the Founders Edition.
    Yeah, with peaks to 370W, that's for FE which has quite limited power limit (duh). But with 125W power draw of R7 3800X or even some hypothetical Zen 3 CPU with say, 200W that would be nothing of concern for 750W PSU.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:

names_plissken (09-20-2020)