Thread: Whisper M 750 vs Revolution DF 750

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whisper M 750 vs Revolution DF 750

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new PSU for a 3080 based config.

It will be paired with a R5 3600 (for now, a beefier Zen 3 upgrade is likely), B450 Tomahawk, 16GB DDR4 3733, 2 SSD / 1 7200RPM HDD (all SATA) and 5 fans (2x140 + 3 x120)

I have a RM550x v2 for now, and while it might very well be fine with everything at stock with a 3080, I'm looking to upgrade to a 750W PSU as I'm sure I'll want to overclock the 3080 and push the power target

After looking at different models I'm debating between the two in the title. (both at the same price around 100)

Also looked at other alternatives (RM750x/750, Toughpower GF1, SP11...) but they're more expensive

Looking at the data on Cybenetics the Enermax has a more relaxed fan profile but the Whisper M has a longer warranty and, I remember reading, very good build quality.

Slightly leaning towards the Enermax but was looking for other opinions on the matter by people who own either one or, even better, compared them.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Don't buy a PSU for a graphics card that doesn't exist yet. When it's released and tested, you will know which PSU is appropriate, and if you even need to ditch your current unit at all.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:

rafal_iB_PL (09-16-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Don't buy a PSU for a graphics card that doesn't exist yet. When it's released and tested, you will know which PSU is appropriate, and if you even need to ditch your current unit at all.
    Well, I'd say all indications are that 550 watt is not going to handle a heavy overclock of the 3080.
    I'd put it at 95% certain.

that said, the real timing issue is when you actually get the 3080 card.
    My guess is that it is going to be a nearly paper launch.

It may take you until december or even March 2021 to actually get your hands on the product.
    By then, the supply of PSU may well be improved significantly.

Covid-19 must end eventually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Reviews are out today, so wait a couple hours.

Given nVidia already confirmed scarce availability (and honestly, plenty of people have predicted that based on past launches), it might take a lot longer to actually get your hands on one and/or pay quite a bit more than suggested price in the process.