Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PSU binning a thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive only had one psu fail that ive worked on, a super cheap one in a friends prebuilt years ago I tried to put a gtx 650 in it and as soon as I powered it on the pci 6 pin wires went up in smoke, talk about low quality. Im surprised the caps stay the same going from white to bronze, although I doubt they stay the same for the really high end stuff. I tested a 9 year old psu i acquired a few months back before I got rid of it, and it still worked i was a little surprised these things seem to last forever in multiple system builds. The one time I thought I had a bad psu I actually had an under-powered ups that had the same shutdown problem with a different system, didnt think to check the ups rated power limits till months later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a shroud in my case to, dosnt seem good to have the psu sucking in air from gpu and cpu especially if your psu is borderline large enough or its not great quality, the fans will have to ramp up more(premature failure). and it will get much hotter maybe to the point of "throtteling" so you have random crashes.actually my 2060 is rated at over 80c, I dont know what they put in these things that allow them to get so hot.