Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU binning a thing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU binning a thing?

I recently saw the review on this site for the evga w1, in the review it said it was the same as the bronze evga unit except it was missing a heatsink. This makes me wonder if hec or whatever makes a bunch of identical units and makes some gold and bronze and makes some 80 plus white because they dont do as well in efficiency tests? Kind of like how cpus that dont do as well in intels tests arn't overclcokable(k series) or are turned into i3s or whatnot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

No... They just change the efficiency related components to more efficient one on same platform.
    That saves R&D cost. Why bother to make or qualify new platform if tweaking a bit on existing platform could handle the job?

And that's for similar efficiency lineups...
    like standard-bronze or gold-platinum.
    Higher efficiency ladder requires advanced design.
    Last edited by Polaris20; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I recently saw the review on this site for the evga w1, in the review it said it was the same as the bronze evga unit except it was missing a heatsink.
    you mean this?

Don't mind it too much. It's a unit from 6 years back, it wasn't good even back then, let alone today.

This makes me wonder if hec or whatever makes a bunch of identical units and makes some gold and bronze and makes some 80 plus white because they dont do as well in efficiency tests?
    Nope.

In vast majority of cases 80+ Gold based units are not even based on the same platform in as 80+ Bronze/Standard ones.

I do recall FSP selling Aurum/Raiders back then which were basically same platform with Raider being heavily cost down, but that was more of an exception, not the rule.

In general, if anything it'd be the opposite of binning, and it's not OEM doing it, but retail brand.

You only need 1 sample to clear 80+ certificate, then you can ride that one for all samples for this model even if some are missing the mark. Some less reputable brands (IIRC Aerocool or Tacens?) might even pull a bait 'n' switch, sending one platform to certification, passing, then using this certification to sell sth completely else.
    Last edited by rafal_iB_PL; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Makes sense, I assumed each individual psu was hooked up to a machine that gave out it's numbers and score. Then all the good ones became gold and the working rejects were binned as bronze or white. the design thing makes sense, one desigjn for white and bronze with a few components changed, and one desigjn for gold and higher with a few differences. It seems psus with a higher effecincy rating are of higher build quality USSULY, sure if a manufacturer really wanted to they could build a unit rated at 70 percent efficiency with great build quality and protections but it would be a horrible idea beacause people who want to pay more for efficiency also want to pay more for better build quality/warranty. I mean I would personally buy it beacause I care more about quality than efficiency but it wouldn't appeal to the masses.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Now nobody makes units like that (great build quality but 70% efficient) because many less knowledgeable buyers just use 80+ certificate as proxy for quality.

Which, while not completely correct, is kind of fine per correlation, as we get more efficient AND well built units in upper ranges and 80+ Gold/Platinum certified junk is pretty rare, let alone Titanium. And conversely, sub 80% efficient units are basically all junk. I mean great built unit with 70% efficiency is possible, but since nobody makes them anymore, it would have to be incredibly old by now, and as such would not recommend it for use regardless, based on likely component state.
    Last edited by rafal_iB_PL; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

There is no PSU binning for efficiency for retail market. The FSP versions of the same platform used different components to begin with. There is PSU binning for reviews though. Some brands/factories do this. Most circuits are analogue technology so output is slightly different even if parts are exactly the same. All PSU are tested in QC anyway, so it' easy to pick the better performing ones for review samples. The efficiency difference is very small though, usually.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC6777 View Post
    I recently saw the review on this site for the evga w1, in the review it said it was the same as the bronze evga unit except it was missing a heatsink.

Paradoxically missing a heat sink can improve efficiency as hot transistors/diodes have less of a voltage drop (thermal energy helps).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC6777 View Post
    That's taken WAY out of context.

They might use the same PLATFORM, but there are A LOT more difference than a lack of heatsink on the bridge rectifier.

As others have said, you can't "bin" a PSU, though it is normal to see a % or two difference in efficiency using the same parts, and there's about four or five things you have to change to more expensive parts to get to the next level of efficiency, which is why you end up paying more for Bronze, Gold, etc. PSUs.

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Paradoxically missing a heat sink can improve efficiency as hot transistors/diodes have less of a voltage drop (thermal energy helps).
    You're really stuck on that "overheating components to improve efficiency" thing aren't you?

Except for here, it's not. It's actually the LESS EFFICIENT product that is missing the heatsink on the bridge rectifier and it's missing to reduce cost.

Jeremy actually "does the math" in the review to figure out at what point that part would potentially fail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    You're really stuck on that "overheating components to improve efficiency" thing aren't you?

I do like paradoxes and I was thinking of running hot, not overheating.

To me it is a big deal if a reviewer feels things are running hot when it may actually be intentional; some transistors can be run very, very hot without issue

http://www.extremetemperatureelectro...tutorial3.html
    450C and 500C
    Last edited by ashiekh; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    I do like paradoxes and I was thinking of running hot, not overheating.

To me it is a bit deal if a reviewer feels things are running hot when it may actually be intentional; some transistors can be run very, very hot without issue.
    Well, this a paradox on many components...thermal cycling is actually more damaging than running "warm" at a continuous level.
    GPU and CPU fans are now set to warm up the part and keep warm rather than keep really cool all the time with only getting to "warm" when under heavy load.

Just saying, water cooling zealots may actually be reducing the core components lifespan.

VMR on the MB can actually overheat in super quite systems with really low air flow... If the CPU and the GPU are the only temps you are looking at.

Just saying, unintended consequences do occur.