Thread: BFG EX 1200

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default BFG EX 1200

I have two of these units for my wife and I. No complaints at all. I got them both not too long after BFG was bought out by Best Data at some ridiculously low price and still in retail boxes. I can't remember what vendor was dumping them. Overkill at 1200w, but the price was better than newer high level 750w units at the time. I don't know whether they are the versions with the better fan and bigger caps on the modular board. Nevertheless, they have been great for almost 10 years in a variety of combinations involving as many as three total graphics cards, overclocked cpu/memory and a crap load of peripherals. The harshest combo was two GTX680's in SLI and a GTX 480 for Physx. Never broke a sweat.

I will eventually upgrade these two pc's to an RTX 3080 series or an AMD 6900 series RDNA2 GPU. I don't doubt that the old BFG's can handle the power draw, but I'm not so confident in the cable configuration. I was thinking of getting a newer model PSU like the Corsair RM850x, EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G series or the Silverstone 850 Focus+ Gold, just in case. Two of the three are available factory refurbished and the Corsair renewed model still carries the original 10 year warranty.

Is the "old" EX 1200 still viable today? How does it compare to the latest greatest models? Will the BFG's be OK with the proper cable adapters? Single video card only. I gave up SLI a long time ago. SLI is not really needed with the power of a single RTX or RDNA series of later model high end GPU's.

Thanks in advance...

Mike

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

I don't feel comfortable using any 10 year old PSU. And if they've been sitting on a shelf, I trust them even less.

Unless you're willing to re-cap the PSUs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

mrestine (09-14-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I don't feel comfortable using any 10 year old PSU. And if they've been sitting on a shelf, I trust them even less.

Unless you're willing to re-cap the PSUs.
    Thank Jon. I bought them in late 2010, I think. Ordered the refurbished Corsair RM850x. The EX 1200's are going to be relegated to the test bench. Did you or do you still work for Corsair?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrestine View Post
    Thank Jon. I bought them in late 2010, I think. Ordered the refurbished Corsair RM850x. The EX 1200's are going to be relegated to the test bench. Did you or do you still work for Corsair?
    I currently work for Corsair.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

mrestine (09-14-2020)