Thread: PSU Advise wanted for upgrade

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU Advise wanted for upgrade

Hello, I'm looking to buy a new PSU, 500-650 watt Semi or full modular, 150 mm or less. Current PSU is an old CX 430 I think. (been a good one) What's the best for $100 or less?
    current system: R3 1200, GTX 1060 3gb, 16gb ram, 2x SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD. 3x case fans.

Upgrade system will be: R5 3600, GTX 1660 Ti, 16gb ram 1x Nvme, and 3x case fans.

Pcpartpicker list 400 watts needed so, I'll need a wiggle room. Thanks

I'm in the U.S.
    Last edited by rttramm; 09-13-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Well the op said he wanted Semi or modular.
    He didn't ask for the least expensive, but the best under $100.

I agree that 450 watts will continue to get the job done, it is not the criteria requested.

To the OP.

When you narrow things down like this it is pretty easy to plug the requirements into newegg and see what comes out.
    There are many, many options that are not in stock ....so

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007...50+110&Order=4

from the ones listed, the seasonic and most of the antecs are very similar in build quality(seasonic is the OEM for most of the Antec units).

I don't follow or trust Thermaltake or the evga lines ( just my experience...others may vary in their opinion)

If you want really short and 100% modular...today you get one result

Seasonic FOCUS SGX-500, 500W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular, SFX-L Form Factor 99$

Busting your budget by 15$....the corsair CORSAIR SF Series SF450 450W 80 PLUS GOLD Active PFC SFX SFX12V Micro ATX Full Modular Power

is a better unit, and as mentioned 450 is not a problem for your system
    Last edited by mdk777; 09-13-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts

If it is a PSU for this PC only. You can of course get a really overkill PSU, so that a modular PSU makes sense. But if it is a PSU for this PC only, a less overkill PSU makes sense. Then modular doesn't makes much difference. So for a PC like this the CX450 looks like a great choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Mask, you are correct in a limited way.
    No one needs the "best"

average exists because....average gets the job done. If it didn't, it would be subpar, inadequate or deficient= not average.

If the OP asked for the best choice for a sufficient psu for his build, if he asked for the best value for his build, if he asked for the best balance of value and performance....then I would agree with you 100%.

However, that was not the question asked.
    Just saying...perhaps we should answer his question rather than critiquing the parameters he choose.

I live in Austin. I can walk to the grocery store.
    That would be the most economic solution.
    I could bicycle....that would be the second most economical...and would be as fast as driving.

However, when someone asks me my opinion regarding the quality of a Subaru, vs a Toyota....
    My response is not "why aren't you considering an electric bike?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I am going overboard with PSU, I was at looking a Seasonic Focus GX-550 for $99.99. But thought I'd ask the ask the forum. I looked at the CX 450, might take another look.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Well the op said he wanted Semi or modular.
    He didn't ask for the least expensive, but the best under $100.
    Going to stop you right here. First, there's no such word as 'most' when it comes to PSUs, you can't judge a brand or lineup as a whole. Each PSU model should be treated as completely different from the other unless it's literally the same, as it's the case with Antec HCG being a Seasonic Focus with different label. But when it comes Antec, they have a whole lot of not Seasonic based units, not that this automatically makes them bad, it's just that you shouldn't blindly trust a brand or OEM too for that matter.

As of OP's request for modular PSU, i didn't even notice that since i fugured I'll just give the most value oriented option for this obviously value build, but sure if they want modularity that would be either Super Flower Leadex III or a bunch of Seasonic Focus based units, namely Antec Neo Eco NE-G, Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro and Phanteks AMP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The cx450 got 1 pcie connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    Going to stop you right here. First, there's no such word as 'most' when it comes to PSUs, you can't judge a brand or lineup as a whole. Each PSU model should be treated as completely different from the other unless it's literally the same, as it's the case with Antec HCG being a Seasonic Focus with different label. But when it comes Antec, they have a whole lot of not Seasonic based units, not that this automatically makes them bad, it's just that you shouldn't blindly trust a brand or OEM too for that matter.

As of OP's request for modular PSU, i didn't even notice that since i fugured I'll just give the most value oriented option for this obviously value build, but sure if they want modularity that would be either Super Flower Leadex III or a bunch of Seasonic Focus based units, namely Antec Neo Eco NE-G, Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro and Phanteks AMP.
    Yes, I am aware.

However, I was talking about the list that I had referenced from Newegg.
    I had already culled it down to a handful of Antec units- which I knew were Seasonic based.
    There might have been one I missed, so I said most.