Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU Recommendation for 2700X+RTX2070SUPER System with PWDIS/SATA 3.3 Support?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Your current MB will not support the ZEN 3 GEN of Ryzen 9 to be launched soon(presumed 4000 series).
    So your upgrade path is limited to adding 4 or 8 cores with the current 3900x or 3950.
    At $420 the 3900x is your value proposition for upgrading, but at $700 the 3950 would double your cores and would speed up the vid editing quite a bit.

Once you jump to thread-ripper you are looking at
    500-800 $ MB
    1300-4000 CPU
    to get performance from that cpu investment, you will want quad channel and Memory not your current Ryzen dual channel.
    So, 500 to 1000 $ for memory.

Just saying, the PSU cost is the least of your concerns. The jump in processing power is significant, but so is the cost.
    Last edited by mdk777; 09-13-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Your current MB will not support the ZEN 3 GEN of Ryzen 9 to be launched soon(presumed 4000 series).
    So your upgrade path is limited to adding 4 or 8 cores with the current 3900x or 3950.
    At $420 the 3900x is your value proposition for upgrading, but at $700 the 3950 would double your cores and would speed up the vid editing quite a bit.

Once you jump to thread-ripper you are looking at
    500-800 $ MB
    1300-4000 CPU
    to get performance from that cpu investment, you will want quad channel and Memory not your current Ryzen dual channel.
    So, 500 to 1000 $ for memory.

Just saying, the PSU cost is the least of your concerns. The jump in processing power is significant, but so is the cost.
    Thanks, now I see why I should just focus on this setup first then

My mobo is confirmed to support Zen 3 (need a BIOS update in the future) and thus I think I will like to make sure at the very least my future PSU will be able to support that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

OK, they keep going back and forth on the MB support. I guess I had old info.

Best of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, they keep going back and forth on the MB support. I guess I had old info.

Best of luck.
    Indeed, this was a very recent change

And I have decided that I will like to get the PSU by November but preferably October, hence I have changed certain key details of the 1st post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Based on number of SATA cables/ports and brands, I have drastically narrowed down the choices to

Seasonic PRIME-GX-850

CORSAIR HX 750
    CORSAIR HX 850

CORSAIR RMi 850W

CORSAIR HXi 750 (not in Singapore market apparently?)

I am siding towards HX 850 (or the HXi 750) but I want to know if
    1. Going for Corsair rather than Seasonic is a good idea (in terms of aftersales, getting more spare cables in the future etc)
    2. Are there less protection mechanisms in Corsair PSUs than Seasonic
    3. How important are the Seasonic's Molex to SATA 3.3 adapters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkarn View Post
    Based on number of SATA cables/ports and brands, I have drastically narrowed down the choices to

Seasonic PRIME-GX-850

CORSAIR HX 750
    CORSAIR HX 850

CORSAIR RMi 850W

1. Going for Corsair rather than Seasonic is a good idea (in terms of aftersales, getting more spare cables in the future etc)
    If cost is an issue, both Corsair and EVGA offer renewed PSU's. EVGA calls them "B" Stock and Corsair calls them "Refurbished". The Corsair has only a 90 day warranty while EVGA has a one year warranty. I just ordered a Corsair RM850x for $124 shipped free and no tax.
    Last edited by mrestine; 09-14-2020 at 10:42 PM.
    Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, Intel Xeon X5690 @ 4.212ghz (162x26), 24gb (6x4gb) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC, Patriot Burst 1tb SATA SSD, Lite-On iHES108 BD-DVD-RW, Creative SoundBlasterX G6 USB, BFG EX1200 PSU, CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 CPU Liquid Cooler, CoolerMaster HAF-X Tower, Acer XG 27" 2k/144hz LCD, Logitech G19 Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Mouse, Windows 10 Professional x64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Corsair HX750 Platinum and RM750i are the best ones good choice for Threadripper and RTX 3080/90. For a AM4 CPU the RM650i is also fine in combination with a RTX 3080/90. As long as you don't overclock.
    Am I right to think the RM750 (LINK), is identical to the RM750i other then the latter has the ability to connect to iCUE?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    475 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
    Am I right to think the RM750 (LINK), is identical to the RM750i other then the latter has the ability to connect to iCUE?
    And the RMi has the upgrade fan bearing. But otherwise they are the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkarn View Post

Seasonic PRIME-GX-850

CORSAIR HX 750
    CORSAIR HX 850

CORSAIR RMi 850W

Jonny works for corsair so I think he is avoiding this direct competitor discussion.
    I don't have an opinion myself if there is any inherent difference.
    I hate Molex with a burning passion myself...but that is just because it feels like such a cludge technology.
    I'd rather hard solder wires together than use molex...but that's probably just me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrestine View Post
    If cost is an issue, both Corsair and EVGA offer renewed PSU's. EVGA calls them "B" Stock and Corsair calls them "Refurbished". The Corsair has only a 90 day warranty while EVGA has a one year warranty. I just ordered a Corsair RM850x for $124 shipped free and no tax.
    This option is not available here unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    And the RMi has the upgrade fan bearing. But otherwise they are the same.
    Based on what I have seen in the manuals, may I confirm that the i series gives better fan bearings and the iCue feature, but less cables compared to the non-i series?

In particular, I notice how the HXi 750 has one less SATA cable than the HX 750 (12 SATA ports vs 16 SATA ports)

Jonny works for corsair so I think he is avoiding this direct competitor discussion.
    I don't have an opinion myself if there is any inherent difference.
    I hate Molex with a burning passion myself...but that is just because it feels like such a cludge technology.
    I'd rather hard solder wires together than use molex...but that's probably just me.
    Those questions are more for Seasonic/Corsair (or both) users here rather than just for Jonny
    But yes, I took another look at the Molex cables I have and agree that it is harder to work with in term of cable management alone. I will most probably proceed with the kapton tape idea that I have been hearing about; seems much easier and safer to tape the first 3 pins on the HDD rather than using power cable adapters.