Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSU Recommendation for 2700X+RTX2070SUPER System with PWDIS/SATA 3.3 Support?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU Recommendation for 2700X+RTX2070SUPER System with PWDIS/SATA 3.3 Support?

Hi, I am thinking of getting a new PSU for this system

Specifications
    Ryzen 7 2700X
    ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
    2 x 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
    Palit GTX 2070 SUPER Jetstream
    2 x MP510 NVME M.2 SSD
    6 x SATA 3 HDDs
    M12II-620 EVO
    Fractal Design Define 7 XL

Requirements/Reasons
    1. As I will be changing HDDs to those enterprise grade HDD that may use PWDIS (i.e. SATA 3.3 spec), I will greatly prefer a PSU that does support PWDIS or provide the needed adapters (I saw some Seasonic PSUs providing these though)
    2. I will need a PSU that can support both current setup and perhaps my future setup (currently estimated to be a Ryzen 9 or Threadripper, with a RTX 3000 GPU)
    3. The PSU will need to be able to support 6 HDDs out of the box, and possibly more HDDs beyond this via ordering of more cables from manufacturer
    4. Optionally, the cables should be braided instead of the usual flat rubber/plastic ones for easier cable management
    5. Good aftersales support given points 1, 3 and 4 since most probably I will need to order more cables for the respective PSU
    6. I will prefer not to install any software for the PSU if possible

Shortlisted PSUs
    So far, based on price and what the local shops offer, here is what I shortlisted:
    (I am also ok with going neither of these if there are good reasons)

Seasonic PRIME-GX-850

CORSAIR HX 750
    CORSAIR HX 850

CORSAIR RMi 850W

CORSAIR HXi 750 (not in Singapore market apparently?)

Conclusion
    I hope to be able to get advice, recommendations and explanations from this post as I will like to also use this chance to understand what makes a PSU good, and what makes a PSU a great one. Thank you.
    Last edited by darkarn; 09-14-2020 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe also consider Gigabyte G750H? I've heard plenty of good things about it. The price is great for what you are getting, but if you're supposed to choose something from the list I'd say get the Coolermaster MWE 750 Gold. You get more power for later if you upgrade in the future

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia73 View Post
    Maybe also consider Gigabyte G750H? I've heard plenty of good things about it. The price is great for what you are getting, but if you're supposed to choose something from the list I'd say get the Coolermaster MWE 750 Gold. You get more power for later if you upgrade in the future
    That Gigabyte model isn't available here I am afraid but thanks, let mee see how about that Coolermaster model

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What’s your budget? Your provided choices range from entry bronze units up to somewhat high-end gold units.
    Maybe you should list the websites that you’re going to order from.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 09-11-2020 at 04:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zhentarim View Post
    What’s your budget? Your provided choices range from entry bronze units up to somewhat high-end gold units.
    Maybe you should list the websites that you’re going to order from.
    Surprisingly, all of them are within the 100 to 200 Singaporean Dollars range, which is what I am willing to spend. Anything higher is ok provided there is a very good reason

And I will be going to a physical shop for this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts

Corsair HX750 Platinum and RM750i are the best ones good choice for Threadripper and RTX 3080/90. For a AM4 CPU the RM650i is also fine in combination with a RTX 3080/90. As long as you don't overclock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You will really need to narrow down what your future top end requirements look like. Threadripper is a 280 watt CPU, Ryzen is 105 max. All threadripper will require 2X CPU
    Add on aux... 750 watts is most likely great for any Ryzen /gpu.. but not threadripper and 3090.... TLDR... Cables as well as watts

Two completely different system requirements from MB on up.

FYI, Lenovo just launched a threadripper work station. It comes with a 1000watt PSU with the base configuration.
    Last edited by mdk777; 09-11-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Add

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -The_Mask- View Post
    Corsair HX750 Platinum and RM750i are the best ones good choice for Threadripper and RTX 3080/90. For a AM4 CPU the RM650i is also fine in combination with a RTX 3080/90. As long as you don't overclock.
    Thanks, but why are these preferred over say, the Seasonic Prime GX series? Am still quite unsure what makes a PSU a great one etc

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    You will really need to narrow down what your future top end requirements look like. Threadripper is a 280 watt CPU, Ryzen is 105 max. All threadripper will require 2X CPU
    Add on aux... 750 watts is most likely great for any Ryzen /gpu.. but not threadripper and 3090.... TLDR... Cables as well as watts

Two completely different system requirements from MB on up.

FYI, Lenovo just launched a threadripper work station. It comes with a 1000watt PSU with the base configuration.
    In other words, I should just get a good PSU for this build, and then when I go to Threadripper I chuck this PSU and get another one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkarn View Post
    Thanks, but why are these preferred over say, the Seasonic Prime GX series? Am still quite unsure what makes a PSU a great one etc

In other words, I should just get a good PSU for this build, and then when I go to Threadripper I chuck this PSU and get another one?
    Threadripper is a different socket, a different MB, different memory....The two systems have almost nothing in common other than being made by AMD.
    You will not need to "chuck" the PSU you use now...because you will still need it for that build.

So yeah, if I am spending 4-10 grand building a Thread-ripper system ...there is no way I would use less than a 850 watt top tier PSU.
    I looked at several pre-built systems from Lenovo, to Boxx, to the cheapest pre-built on Newegg....none came with less than 850 and the mean was more like 1000 watts.

I find this article interesting:

https://www.fcpowerup.com/end-gpu-spike-peakpower/

While 1200 watts that he recommends might be taking it too far....750watts is the opposite extreme in my opinion.

You may get it to run...you may well never push it to its capacity...But that begs the question;

Why would you build a threadripper machine unless you had programming that could be fully utilized by it? Heavy continuous loads?
    Last edited by mdk777; 09-12-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Threadripper is a different socket, a different MB, different memory....The two systems have almost nothing in common other than being made by AMD.
    You will not need to "chuck" the PSU you use now...because you will still need it for that build.

So yeah, if I am spending 4-10 grand building a Thread-ripper system ...there is no way I would use less than a 850 watt top tier PSU.
    I looked at several pre-built systems from Lenovo, to Boxx, to the cheapest pre-built on Newegg....none came with less than 850 and the mean was more like 1000 watts.

I find this article interesting:

https://www.fcpowerup.com/end-gpu-spike-peakpower/

While 1200 watts that he recommends might be taking it too far....750watts is the opposite extreme in my opinion.

You may get it to run...you may well never push it to its capacity...But that begs the question;

Why would you build a threadripper machine unless you had programming that could be fully utilized by it? Heavy continuous loads?
    To be honest, I am unsure if a Threadripper will be needed down the line. Right now I will be pushing this AMD Ryzen system to do near daily media editing, so it will be a good indication of whether I need a Threadripper