Thread: Using two M.2 drives and need to format the 2nd drive that has system files on it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Using two M.2 drives and need to format the 2nd drive that has system files on it

MB: Z309 AORUS PRO WIFI
    M.2: 2x Samsung SDD 970 PRO 512GB drives

Just want to make sure I am correctly formatting the Disk 1 Unallocated part. Don't remember partitioning it, maybe windows did when I did a new instal and I selected something to do so. to use two disks.

Problem now is if I click on the Unallocated Disk 1>New Simple Volume>Follow steps. Will that erase the System Reserved files?

20200908_183556.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts

Windows did it.

Normally you have EFI system partition, boot and recovery on the same drive. For some reason, your recovery partition is on the second drive, but you should still be able to format the remaining 476.37 GB. You just won't be able to remove the recovery partition in order to use the whole drive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

Murray (09-09-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it is general practice to have the recovery partition on the same drive. I'll have to check my old computer, has the same setup of two internal drives.

I'l just format the remaining space on drive 1, thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    So it is general practice to have the recovery partition on the same drive. I'll have to check my old computer, has the same setup of two internal drives.

I'l just format the remaining space on drive 1, thanks
    Well, I can see some logic behind putting it on a separate drive, but by default, Windows puts them both on one. I just reinstalled Windows on my own PC, which has two M.2 SSDs and everything went on Drive 0. Drive 1 remained untouched.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I must of clipped an option or something to put the recovery system on the second drive. I'm doing a reinstall on my old computer to practice and learn. Thanks for you help