Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what about G Skill Power Supplies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackManINC View Post
    🤔 Yeah, but I don't see why the usual dudes that reviews power supplies can't just buy one and analyze it with a fine tooth pick.

Those dudes need to make money, like everyone else.

Who is going to pay for the toothpick?
    Last edited by ashiekh; 08-26-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    1) Cost. Most people don't have the resources to spend a couple hundred dollars to pick up a power supply to tear apart just for funsises.
    Seriously... in the time since I retired, I frequently have wondered how on earth I was able to do the reviewing gig as long as I did. Power supplies like the AX1600i? You're looking at about four months of what I made reviewing in all of 2018 to buy one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahoma Wolf For This Useful Post:

rafal_iB_PL (08-28-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    It's usually not worth to buy two samples of a PSU which the brand won't supply as samples. They will be shitty anyway.
    Well G skill only has one thing to sell, and that is their reputation.
    The entire concept of OC memory is based on taking a commodity, testing, binning and branding it.

I know everyone knows this, but I make the obvious statement because it would be brand suicide for G skill to market a PSU line that was "shitty"

It might not be bleeding edge technology, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that they are not so stupid as to ship junk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    It's usually not worth to buy two samples of a PSU which the brand won't supply as samples. They will be shitty anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Well G skill only has one thing to sell, and that is their reputation.
    The entire concept of OC memory is based on taking a commodity, testing, binning and branding it.

I know everyone knows this, but I make the obvious statement because it would be brand suicide for G skill to market a PSU line that was "shitty"

It might not be bleeding edge technology, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that they are not so stupid as to ship junk.
    Yeah, its quite a wild assumption to conclude that a company of such reputation would sell power supplies that are shitty just because they didn't provide any for review. I bought mines last year and its been working perfectly fine for me so far. With them being the new comer on the power supply scene, they really can't afford to start off stumbling over themselves. Good first impressions are very important after all.
    Case:
    Corsair 570X

CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master

RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs

GPU
    AMD RX 470

Case
    Corsair 570X

Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB

PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts

Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55

Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity

Operating System
    Windows 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackManINC View Post
    Yeah, its quite a wild assumption to conclude that a company of such reputation would sell power supplies that are shitty just because they didn't provide any for review.
    I present to you... EVGA.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

rafal_iB_PL (08-30-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

But staying on topic.

A little research show that these are CWT units, and we are talking about high end 1000+ Plat units, not entry level mass market econ units.

I stand by my statement that they are 100% not "shit."

There may be better units today, or even better performance per $ units....but it seem odd to let the presumption stand that these are less than quality when CWT has made so many Corsair products.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I present to you... EVGA.
    Not all companies are made equal though.

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    But staying on topic.

A little research show that these are CWT units, and we are talking about high end 1000+ Plat units, not entry level mass market econ units.

I stand by my statement that they are 100% not "shit."

There may be better units today, or even better performance per $ units....but it seem odd to let the presumption stand that these are less than quality when CWT has made so many Corsair products.
    Right......and I got this from Micro Center, arguably the best computer retail store in America. They tend not to sell shit products, and if anything they often have good reps that actually know what they are talking about. I bought this for less than $100. It costs well above that now last I looked, so I got lucky. From the looks of it, G.Skill really went the extra mile to make sure they weren't making shit PSU's in their name.
    Case:
    Corsair 570X

CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master

RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs

GPU
    AMD RX 470

Case
    Corsair 570X

Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB

PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts

Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55

Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity

Operating System
    Windows 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Well, I ran many many PSU projects for various brands so far. Basically all PSU offered by factories would be considered shitty by either brands own engineering/PM (for example because of compatibility/lifetime/reliability/RMA issues) or reviewers. I've been to CWT engineering in Taiwan and China factory myself - yes, it's good place to develop and build PSU. In my projects with them I learned though out of the box the product will be between mediocre and shitty. The modifications to make good products out of them usually don't even add much cost, they just require someone to make the decision to go the extra mile.

So far I've tested several hundred PSU. First as a PSU reviewer, then 5 years in product management for PSU and now as the purchaser for local mid-scale SI. 99% of the products which I couldn't find reviews for sucked. Some might call me a grumpy old man after >10 years in the industry, but I would just say I lost all illusions. In my experience if brands don't send out samples they either know it's shitty or they don't care a all about performance (which ALWAYS results in major problems). I've seen a very few decent products for which there are no reviews, but these never came from fanous brands. PSU performance estimate doesn't work like criminal court. Instead, I'd rather say guilty until proven otherwise. Plus, I remember well how I decided myself when push came to shove and it was time to decide which products to promote how...

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Philipus II For This Useful Post:

breixobaloca (09-06-2020), ehume (09-06-2020), JCabanes (09-08-2020), Jon Gerow (09-06-2020)