Thread: PSU load testing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PSU load testing?

I built this PC in Nov 2019 using an MSI X470 Tomahawk, 64Gb DDR4 3200 RAM, Ryzen 9 3900X, RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition, Corsair RM850x. This PC has worked flawlessly for 9 months. A couple of weeks ago I found it shut down and it would not power on. In the process of troubleshooting this I swapped in a spare PSU and the PC powered up and ran normally. I then bench tested the RM850x using one of those no name $15 PSU testers off Amazon. The PSU tested normal on the bench. So I shut down the PC and reinstalled the RM850x and again the PC would not power on. Installed the spare PSU a second time and the PC powered up and ran normally.

This PSU is still under warranty so I'm not concerned about getting it replaced, but I have never run across a PSU that would test normal on the bench yet would not power up the PC. I can only assume it has something to do with loading. Is there any way to load test a PSU without one of those expensive PSU load testers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

Car headlight bulbs make for a great 12V load.

Much simpler is to inspect the secondary capacitors for any swelling of the top, even slight swelling; but at 1 year old they should still be fine.

I'd treat connectors with silicone oil in case they are the issue.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 08-13-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts

It's unlikely that caps have failed on a relatively new high quality PSU. And you lose the warranty. So don't look for failed caps.

If you sure you didn't do anything wrong like using the wrong cables from a different PSU. And you sure they are well seeded. You can just RMA the PSU and explain what you already did. What worked and what not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

The Mask is right, don't void the warrantee; one can sometimes see past the fan blades or through the grill.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 08-14-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, I'm not going to risk voiding the warranty and will just contact Corsair for an RMA.