Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I look for when buying a UPS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What should I look for when buying a UPS?

Hello, good afternoon from Murcia, Spain!
    My name is Juanjo.
    I ask for help / advice on buying a UPS for a home computer. I do not ask about a brand because I understand that brands or models cannot be recommended in the forum, but
    I would be grateful if you could tell me what characteristics should I look for in a modern UPS with the best possible protection, what should I look for.

Previously, the UPS you used was a UNITEK 1200 V.A. ALPHA. with 10-11 years.
    To start, I wanted to tell you that I give a lot of importance to this about the protection of the pc and all the devices that I connect to it.
    , so I am looking for a UPS of a certain quality. I like electronics (although I don't understand much) and I like computers too.

I am not looking for a cheap product or that may be excessively basic in pros of an economic price but a quality UPS. (I do not mean to spend for spending, but I do not want to buy a bad or regular sai)

I have seen that there are three technologies, offline, interactive line and online.

I discard offline technology; I would decide on the interactive line or the online one.

I really like the online one because of the clean energy it provides to the components that are connected, but I'm not sure what its disadvantages are.

The components that would be connected would be:

Computer: AMD RYZEN 7 3700, GEFORCE 1080TI, PSU 1200WAT PLATINUM, 2 HARD DISKS, 7 FANS.
    - 24w headphone amplifier.
    - two 27 "monitors

A computer scientist told me that it was convenient to have filtered power outlets.

I don't know if they need any more information.

Thanks in advance.

A greeting¡¡¡

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    477 Posts

99% of people use line-interactive. Which is just an offline UPS with a built in AVR.

Online is very expensive and you only see those in server rooms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mineral View Post
    I do not ask about a brand because I understand that brands or models cannot be recommended in the forum

Previously, the UPS you used was a UNITEK 1200 V.A. ALPHA. with 10-11 years.

People recommend models and brands all the time here. Can't keep using your old UPS? by replacing its batteries.

I think you missed true sine-wave versus modified sine-wave. If you just want to protect the equipment a surge protector might be enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-26-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello¡¡¡¡

Thank you all very much for your quick responses and your help¡¡¡¡

The old UPS will go to another computer. I would change the batteries and continue using it.

Unitek is modified Sine Wave, better pure Sine Wave? My idea is this, to take note of characteristics that may interest me. I understand that pure sinusoidal is better.

I discard the UPS online (unless they advise me otherwise), because I understand that its use is more recommended for critical equipment, servers, etc.
    I don't just want to protect the equipment and other devices that connect to it, but it can give me cleaner energy. Where I live, the current usually has some oscillations because the house is a few years old and when several electrical appliances that consume a lot of watts (old air conditioners, etc.) are connected, when starting an air conditioning, above all, that unitek used to beep less than one second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    477 Posts

Of course pure sine is ideal. But with modern PC's, modified is perfectly fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perfect¡¡¡

I already have something to start with. Pure sine wave.

Jon Gerow, I don't understand you well "But with modern PCs, the modification is perfectly fine."

Thank you so much¡¡¡¡

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mineral View Post
    Where I live, the current usually has some oscillations because the house is a few years old and when several electrical appliances that consume a lot of watts (old air conditioners, etc.) are connected, when starting an air conditioning, above all, that unitek used to beep less than one second.
    Then an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) might be what you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Of course pure sine is ideal. But with modern PC's, modified is perfectly fine.
    I'm still trying to understand what the APFC circuit does when presented with such a waveform.

"This UPS uses simulated sine wave output to generate a stepped, approximated sine wave to supply cost-effective battery backup power to equipment that does not have Active PFC power supplies."

"Active PFC-Enabled PSUs Are Not Compatible With Most Low-End UPS"

"Equipment including power supplies with Active PFC circuits can be sensitive to changes in input power. When this type of equipment is connected to a UPS system with simulated sine wave output, unexpected shutdown may occur resulting in data loss or equipment damage."

Over voltage issues on the bulk capacitor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-27-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    The an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) might be what you are after.

Not if he has a decent PSU (which he likely does given it's a 1200W 80 PLUS Platinum unit.)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Gerow For This Useful Post:

ashiekh (07-26-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

You are so right, the power supply will be fine with varying input voltage (I'm just tired today); forget the AVR idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello good afternoon¡¡¡¡

I wanted to tell you a question, maybe it is a "madness" of mine, without any explanation on my part. I tell you: one of the reasons why I was encouraged to move my old UPS to an older computer (and with an older power supply) was that a few days ago, I heard a sound from the PC as if it were some vibrations, a soft sound, not loud, but as a kind of hum. I thought it might be that some lid of the box was not tight enough and rubbing against another sheet of the box made that sound. This sound had something uneasy, annoying to me. I had read there that a user noticed a vibrating sound (or something like that) and when he switched to a different UPS, that sound disappeared.
    A couple of days ago I did not connect the PC to the UPS, to see if it stopped making that noise. Yes, it has stopped. But the explanation (if it were for the UPS, which I have no idea) I don't know.
    Seeing ashiekh's comment "https://www.dougv.com/2010/03/active...t-low-end-ups/
    "PFC-activated power supply units are not compatible with most low-end UPSs" I thought that some of that might have been happening.
    That reason and the fact that this sai is not of quality have made me consider passing it to a secondary and older PC.

Well, if it was the sai or I was interested in changing, I have seen some model:

- https://www.salicru.com/sps-800-adv-rt2.html is this a pure sine wave?
    - any APC model?

I am still studying all this, I would appreciate it if you could continue helping me to have things clear.

Thank you very much¡¡¡¡¡

A greeting¡¡¡¡¡