Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I look for when buying a UPS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mineral View Post
    a few days ago, I heard a sound from the PC as if it were some vibrations, a soft sound, not loud, but as a kind of hum. I thought it might be that some lid of the box was not tight enough and rubbing against another sheet of the box made that sound. This sound had something uneasy, annoying to me. I had read there that a user noticed a vibrating sound (or something like that) and when he switched to a different UPS, that sound disappeared.
    A couple of days ago I did not connect the PC to the UPS, to see if it stopped making that noise. Yes, it has stopped. But the explanation (if it were for the UPS, which I have no idea)

"PFC-activated power supply units are not compatible with most low-end UPSs" I thought that some of that might have been happening.

That reason and the fact that this sai is not of quality have made me consider passing it to a secondary and older PC.

Even a modified sine-wave UPS only gives out this distorted wave when running on battery (i.e. not all the time); fans can often give rise to vibration that can come and go (resonance)

Since you already have a UPS you can test if your power supplies are happy with modified sine-wave or not and then decide.

An online UPS can be an error as everything is working all the time, so it is inefficient and more likely to wear out.

What is it you are trying to protect? the hardware or the data? Another option is to not have the monitors on the UPS, so what you have now might support both computers.

Sine-wave UPSs are expensive, but the prices are coming down; batteries are also expensive, and I even modified a UPS to work on super-capacitors, but eventually settled on using top grade surge protectors around the house to protect not just the computers, routers and Wi-Fi but also the TV, fridge, washing machine, furnace, microwave, etc. as most everything is electronic these days. i.e. I felt the money was better spent on surge protection of most everything rather than battery support of just one thing. Good surge protectors tell if they are still working which avoids the need to replace them periodically.

https://thehometheaterdiy.com/when-t...rge-protector/
    "Experts recommend you replace your surge protector every 2 years."

which I find ridiculous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 1 Week Ago at 03:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello good day  

First, I want to thank you for answering me, for the time you are dedicating to me.

I understand, ashiekn, that the fans can cause these resonances, but I want to check again if there are differences when the UPS is connected to the computer and not connected. If you
    seems fine, I can make a recording of that noise with the UPS connected to the pc and without connecting
    and upload it to this forum.

Regarding what he tells me:
    "Since you have a UPS, you can test whether your power supplies are satisfied with
    the sine wave modified or not, and then decide. "
    The power supply of the equipment that produces that noise is modern (at least, I understand that,
    It is a Zalman Acrux Series ZM1200-ARX 80 Plus Platinum 1200W Modular). I dont know
    What power supply does the secondary PC have, but almost certainly it will not be of quality, at least, not
    It's modern. I don't quite understand what you mean.

"An online UPS can be a mistake since everything works all the time, so it is
    inefficient and more likely to wear. "You mean, depending on usage, it can
    in some cases better just a good surge protector without batteries?

"Sine Wave UPSs are expensive, but prices are going down; batteries
    they're expensive too, and I even modified a UPS to work on supercapacitors,
    but finally I decided to use high quality surge protectors at home
    to protect not only computers, routers and Wi-Fi, but also TV, refrigerator
    and the washing machine, oven, microwave, etc. since almost everything is electronic these days. it is
    say I felt money was better spent on surge protection for just about everything
    instead of the one-thing battery holder. Good surge protectors
    indicate if they are still working, which avoids the need to periodically replace them. "
    I understand that it is also important to protect the rest of the appliances.

"What are you trying to protect? The hardware or the data? Another option is not to have the monitors in the UPS, so what you have now could be compatible with both computers."
    I want to protect both the hardware and data that I may lose when I am working and there is a power cut, in addition to being able to have cleaner power that can help
    to extend the life of the computer (if possible). I use two monitors, one of them is expensive for me, and I do not want it to break with a power surge in the network.

Thank you very much  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

I want to protect both the hardware and data that I may lose when I am working and there is a power cut

Then you need a UPS for the computer, although a surge protector may be enough for the monitor.

I have been wondering about using lithium batteries in place of the old lead acid even if that would reduce the power ability.
    https://dakotalithium.com/product/da...-10ah-battery/

Your UNITEK 1200 V.A. ALPHA can handle 600W (on lead acid); not enough for your 1200W power supply at full load.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/92...?page=4#manual
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 1 Week Ago at 02:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello good day  

First of all, thank you as always for your help and your time.  
    I understand that this 1200va Unitek Alpha UPS would not be enough when the power supply has to give its full potential, although I do not usually use my computer at full load (I only have a gpu and my hardware does not require much power); Still, should I replace the sai with one of greater capacity?
    Up to what watts?
    What do you tell me about lithium batteries, why? To increase the watts of this sai?

A greeting  

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

What do you tell me about lithium batteries, why? To increase the watts of this sai?

Less power, more energy, longer life (warranted for 11 years); I'd just stick with the old UPS with new batteries if needed (no lithium as that reduces its power ability).

The Guru feels you should be fine with modified sine-wave, and he should know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Of course pure sine is ideal. But with modern PC's, modified is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 1 Week Ago at 09:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello good afternoon   
    Perfect, thanks for your help and attention! 

I bought the batteries in October 2018 (two Yuasa brand batteries, 7 ah). I think they don't have much time, maybe I should put them to charge with a battery charger.

After looking at the condition of the batteries, I wanted to see if it stops making that annoying, vibrating noise. I'll tell you.
    Greetings and thank you very much again for your attention and help! 

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

I bought the batteries in October 2018 (two Yuasa brand batteries, 7 ah). I think they don't have much time, maybe I should put them to charge with a battery charger.

I hope you don't just have them in storage, lead acid batteries don't store well at all; they can lose 5% a month and don't like being in a discharged state.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 1 Week Ago at 07:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello good afternoon 

Well, that date was the purchase of the batteries. I bought them in 2018 and put them on when I received them.

Thank you for always answering me and for your information. 

Greetings, 

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

I misunderstood as you wrote

maybe I should put them to charge with a battery charger.
    but since the UPS charges them, I assumed they were just sitting in storage.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 1 Week Ago at 03:02 PM.