Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FLASHBACK! 2009 "Myths" page from PC Power & Cooling!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehume View Post
    If you have ever played with a PSU w/ an 80mm fan you wouldn't put one in your rig.
    I'd say that more depends on the unit and use case. If noise isn't a concern there's no issue with an 80mm fan in a unit.

Even then, some of the 80mm fans in SFX units are not awful if you're not sitting close to the unit. Quite a few people I know (myself included) built mITX systems with Silverstone ST45SF units. From across your living room, you generally don't notice the fan in that system unless you were doing a full CPU-and-GPU stress test.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I actually liked the 80mm cooling of the Arctic Fusion 550W. The PSU was based on Seasonic S12. The Arctic version was more silent then Seasonic standard version at both minimum and full load. I never checked component temperatures though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

You guys must've never sat with a build 0.5m from your ear.

As an old fan hound, I never saw an 80mm fan the could push significant air quietly, or a quiet one that pushed significant air.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Red 3TB backup disk | Seagate 1 TB SSD USB file drive
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    463 Posts

As an old fan hound, I never saw an 80mm fan the could push significant air quietly, or a quiet one that pushed significant air.
    Who are "you guys"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    463 Posts

Updated with old ads as absurd as the myths page.

If you guys can think of more, please let me know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Oh no, i agree that at that close it's a problem. 6-10 feet away, not an issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Besides the epic Myths page by PC Power and Cooling, Antec in that same year also released a brand new power supply form factor called, "CPX" with their CP-850:
    https://silentpcreview.com/antec-cp-...p-performance/ (jonnyguru's own review of this unit is down)

This is when Antec was still one of the top case & PSU brands, so it could muster enough volume to support this creation. How times have changed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStone View Post
    Besides the epic Myths page by PC Power and Cooling, Antec in that same year also released a brand new power supply form factor called, "CPX" with their CP-850:
    https://silentpcreview.com/antec-cp-...p-performance/ (jonnyguru's own review of this unit is down)

This is when Antec was still one of the top case & PSU brands, so it could muster enough volume to support this creation. How times have changed!
    Oh dude.. you missed it. We had a whole thread a week or two ago about a guy that wanted to know if he should still use his CPX power supply in his new build!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    I was think about this the other day and went to archive.org to retrieve it. I copied over to my site for prosperity.

This one really kills me. "Trapped power"??? Well... Yeah... if you evenly divide three 20A rails off a 720W +12V parent rail.... BUT WHO DOES THAT?!?!!
    Yeah, but back in the day it did happen.
    I was an early adopter of folding @home, and the very start of the GPU usage.

People were running their cards 24/7 and several otherwise well regarded PSU companies did indeed sell PSU that were rated for high 12v capacity.....but were very limited on what they could actual provide the graphics card.

It may have been a very limited number, but once burned, twice shy.

But, yeah...times have indeed changed.

Now if we can only get some decent stock available again!!!

People are building with crap again, because....yeah, that is all that is available.

20 years of marketing/testing will soon go to waste if people start to think that all those high end PSU testing and talk was just FLUFF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mdk777 View Post
    Yeah, but back in the day it did happen.
    I was an early adopter of folding @home, and the very start of the GPU usage.

People were running their cards 24/7 and several otherwise well regarded PSU companies did indeed sell PSU that were rated for high 12v capacity.....but were very limited on what they could actual provide the graphics card.

It may have been a very limited number, but once burned, twice shy.
    Well.. I don't recall any of them. Maybe they weren't as "well regarded" as you recall. You don't take a 550W power supply, with a 480W +12V capability and split that into two 20A rails.