Thread: Lack of Motherboards Currently

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Lack of Motherboards Currently

What the hell? Real lack of motherboards out there right now. Anyone know why or when we'll start seeing full stock again?

I can find my board, but it was originally 125.00 US now it's 209?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GPDJ9R6...osi&th=1&psc=1

I'm talking about the B450+ series, too, not the older 360s. ITX has always been a little thin, but now they are almost nonexistent.

If you check Amazon, they are there, but only from small 3rd parties at inflated prices, and I won't buy from them usually, preferring ships and sold by Amazon or at least fulfilled by amazon. The ones selling from 3rd parties sellers with inflated prices are probably left overs, since Amazon nor NewEgg seem to have any real stock.

Even worse, I need AM4.
    Last edited by DWD1961; 07-14-2020 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

Maybe it's still the COVID19 issues?

I'm still having problems producing and shipping PSUs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Maybe it's still the COVID19 issues?

I'm still having problems producing and shipping PSUs.
    That's got to be it. Giagbyte just told me their service was delayed for RMAs because they had less repair techs working. My MB is sitting on someone's desk, got there 7 days ago, and still hasn't been logged into their system. I just figured I'll either never get it back in less than 2-3 months, or it's a lost cause anyway, so I'll just buy another one (yeah, MB warranties, in print only) but I can't find one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I had a rebate from MSI that took 4 or 5 months to get back. Usually they take awhile, but not notmally this long.

I think the manufacturers are operating at limited capacity or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RyzenMaster View Post
    I had a rebate from MSI that took 4 or 5 months to get back. Usually they take awhile, but not notmally this long.

I think the manufacturers are operating at limited capacity or something.
    That's probably not related.

I mean.. rebate people are desk jockeys that can work from home. People making motherboards need to be in a factory.

That's like comparing the Kohl's check out lady with the person making the shirts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    That's probably not related.

I mean.. rebate people are desk jockeys that can work from home. People making motherboards need to be in a factory.

That's like comparing the Kohl's check out lady with the person making the shirts.
    The last time I had a MB in for RMA, it took about 1.5 months. Got it back, no change in the problem. That was a 300 dollar x58 Gigabyte board in 2012, cost me 40 bucks to ship it too (ATX), no Black Swans, No Covid, just a bug "FUCK YOU" from the warranty department, which was 'warranty' only in name. It was a known problem back then for those boards (just stopped identifying more than 8GB of RAM.)

Now I have another Gig in RMA, and I researched before I bought Gig again, and others said Gig warranty was now really good. One poster over at HARDOCP said he received a prepaid shipping label to the repair facility and got a NEW board back in less than two weeks.

I got an RMA email saying to ship it at my cost and they'd get to it when they could, Covid 19 and all. The board got there July 7th. I just checked the RMA page (same as it's been since I can remember, like back in the 1990s still) and it's still not processed. Still sitting. . .collecting dust. . .on some desk. . . in some dark, bleak warehouse, somewhere in Industry, CA, with no ETA, no nothing.

The relevance is that this time, it's not a bad turnaround time and warranty-in-name-only bullshit, but this Covid thing must be the reason behind limited supply. A lot of merchandise ships through the ports of CA, and CA is getting hammered by Covid 19.

On the up side, someone at the EEV blog forums said MB manufacturers don't fix things like burned transistors, wifi problems, etc anymore. It's just cheaper to send out a new board rather than pay a repair tech to actually sit around all day fixing boards (40K a year salary is a LOT of MB's! lol). A tech tests it and if it's bad and it's not operator error, they just send out a new board. They either deny RMA or send out a new board.

Jon, as far as MSI goes, had a lot of replies saying their warranty department is virtually nonexistent and good luck getting anything repaired under warranty. They said it was just disgraceful. So that limits me to ASROCK and ASUS, unless I still want to go with Gigabyte. I'm not to fond of ASROCK from what I've researched.

Hopefully, I'll get my board back before 2022.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

It's not just supply chain issue but also the high demand. Most people expected lower demand because of virus spreading and people spending less. Instead, sales went up significantly, especailly in DIY component market. People have time to build new PC. Also they have less otpions to spend their money in many regions because bars, restaurants etc. are closed and travel restrictions reduced options for vacation significantly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Philipus II View Post
    It's not just supply chain issue but also the high demand. Most people expected lower demand because of virus spreading and people spending less. Instead, sales went up significantly, especailly in DIY component market. People have time to build new PC. Also they have less otpions to spend their money in many regions because bars, restaurants etc. are closed and travel restrictions reduced options for vacation significantly.
    True. At some point you would think people would start saving the money they have.

As of today, my board still hasn't been processed by Gigabyte. Arrived July 7th.