Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is the voltage on the SATA plug?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    if I need 4.5 amps out of both the 5/12v rails, will I get that?

You will get it, but at the risk of damaging the connector; 7.5A max if you don't want to take a risk.

It is very simple, no pin should exceed 1.5A, the rest you can work out for yourself.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    You will get it, but at the risk of damaging the connector; 7.5A max if you don't want to take a risk.

It is very simple, no pin should exceed 1.5A, the rest you can work out for yourself.
    Ashiekh,

Thanks. So, we're back to the Corsair Commander specs being somewhat misleading, since it says 4.5 amps each for 5v and 12v. (Another concept light goes on--5 ground pins.)

So if there are 5 ground pins, and 3 power rails, where are the other two grounds going/doing? I know that's a really stupid question, but. . . .

For my application, I won't exceed 4.5 amps on either the 12+ or 5+ rail and on the 12+ I won't even come close becasue those Noctua fans are only going to take a very little current even at max input. The way things add up per LED device, over on the LED side, I probably won't get anymore than 80% of that either. I'm just interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

All 5 grounds work together, the return current is distributed across them. If you put 4.5A on one rail you cannot put another 4.5A on another rail (the total should not exceed 7.5A)

Might I recommend a book: Practical Electronics for Inventors; understanding is so much more powerful than knowledge.

The Commander PRO install guide is a little confusing
    https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia...QSG_Web_AE.pdf

"Max power: 4.5A"

Power is not in amps, so it would be nice if they fixed this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts

All 5 grounds work together, the return current is distributed across them. If you put 4.5A on one rail you cannot put another 4.5A on another rail (the total should not exceed 7.5A)

Might I recommend a book: Practical Electronics for Inventors; understanding is so much more powerful than knowledge.

The Commander PRO install guide is a little confusing
    file:///C:/Users/anwar/Downloads/WW_...QSG_Web_AE.pdf

"Max power: 4.5A"

Power is not in amps, so it would be nice if they fixed this.
    Local file linked.

Yeah. I have a lot of issues with a lot of cooling stuff. Different teams at Corsair seem to work in a vacuum. Fortunately, the current cooling PM used to be the PSU PM, so maybe he can fix some of those things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Fixed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All 5 grounds work together, the return current is distributed across them.

That!

The manual does say it correctly for each rail, but not maximum for the entire device. If one didn't know what the max SATA connector will handle, which is 7.5 Amps, then may inadvertently overload the sata connection. Probably not though becasue that would be a HELLAVA lot of fan power to reach 4.5 amps.

Thanks for all of the explanations from both you and Jon. I'll look up that book. the reason i didn't understand the 5 pin negative is because I don't understand basic electrical theory.

Does that book go into basic electrical theory, like we've been talking about (grounds, power, etc)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    Local file linked.

Yeah. I have a lot of issues with a lot of cooling stuff. Different teams at Corsair seem to work in a vacuum. Fortunately, the current cooling PM used to be the PSU PM, so maybe he can fix some of those things.
    That's gotta be frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

because I don't understand basic electrical theory.

Does that book go into basic electrical theory, like we've been talking about (grounds, power, etc)?

Then you have much to look forward to; I find understanding does not detract from the magic, but rather enhances it many fold.

The book covers the basics and much more, as well as being well priced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts

That!

The manual does say it correctly for each rail, but not maximum for the entire device. If one didn't know what the max SATA connector will handle, which is 7.5 Amps, then may inadvertently overload the sata connection. Probably not though becasue that would be a HELLAVA lot of fan power to reach 4.5 amps.

Thanks for all of the explanations from both you and Jon. I'll look up that book. the reason i didn't understand the 5 pin negative is because I don't understand basic electrical theory.

That book covers basics, but also way more than you actually need. I would suggest something smaller and easier to digest like Electricity Demystified and Circuit Analysis Demystified.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Or there is the public domain

Basic Electricity by the U.S. Bureau of Naval Personnel
    https://archive.org/details/BasicElectricity10622

What is fascinating is that they consider the electron current, while these days we stick with the very old fashioned opposite.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:11 PM.