Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the voltage on the SATA plug?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DWD1961 View Post
    Right, but what I meant was the the SATA connectors that come on the 18 gauge wire are rated for 4.5A each? (Not just the device side connector?)
    No. I'm only talking about the device side connector. 18g wire can handle a lot more than 4.5A.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Gerow View Post
    No. I'm only talking about the device side connector. 18g wire can handle a lot more than 4.5A.
    Yeah, ugh, sorry for the confusion about my question, Jon, but it's important to know.

Yes, the 18 gauge wire will handle much more than 4.5 AMPS, and I understand that. What I need to know is what about the SATA power connectors that are on the 18G wire? I'm going to assume they can handle a lot more than 4.5 AMPS each, since the commander PRO specs state that you can use 4.5 amps for the RGB inputs and 4.5 AMps for the fan inputs (with 1 AMP max per fan input.

Commander PRO Specs:
    Max. power for RGB LED channels: 4.5 AMps
    Max. power per fan header 1A per port, 4.5A combined

That's 9 Amps just for the Commander PRO, so the SATA power connections ON the 18 gauge cable would have to handle at least 9 Amps each?

Attachment 4137
    Attachment 4138

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

1.5A per SATA pin, so 4.5A per rail and 7.5A overall since there are only 5 ground pins.

So each cable carries up to 4.5A (assuming 2 ground cables as in the attached picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ashiekh; 07-12-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

Yeah, ugh, sorry for the confusion about my question, Jon, but it's important to know.

Yes, the 18 gauge wire will handle much more than 4.5 AMPS, and I understand that. What I need to know is what about the SATA power connectors that are on the 18G wire? I'm going to assume they can handle a lot more than 4.5 AMPS each, since the commander PRO specs state that you can use 4.5 amps for the RGB inputs and 4.5 AMps for the fan inputs (with 1 AMP max per fan input.

Commander PRO Specs:
    Max. power for RGB LED channels: 4.5 AMps
    Max. power per fan header 1A per port, 4.5A combined

That's 9 Amps just for the Commander PRO, so the SATA power connections ON the 18 gauge cable would have to handle at least 9 Amps each?

Attachment 4137
    Attachment 4138
    4.5A. 4.5A per connector. That's why I keep telling you.

Each SATA connector can deliver up to 4.5A of any given voltage before it gets too hot and melts.

As for the Commander Pro: Yes. It gets power from the SATA connector. So I would not connect more than 4.5A of devices up to the Commander Pro because more than that would put more load on the SATA connector it's getting power from and therefore would become unsafe.

So, yeah. If you had all of the ports on a Commander Pro populated and the fans turned all the way up to full blast, you would exceed 4.5A.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4.5A. 4.5A per connector. That's why I keep telling you.

Each SATA connector can deliver up to 4.5A of any given voltage before it gets too hot and melts.

As for the Commander Pro: Yes. It gets power from the SATA connector. So I would not connect more than 4.5A of devices up to the Commander Pro because more than that would put more load on the SATA connector it's getting power from and therefore would become unsafe.

So, yeah. If you had all of the ports on a Commander Pro populated and the fans turned all the way up to full blast, you would exceed 4.5A.
    Ok, yes, I was just wanting to make sure when you said "connector" you were talking about the power supply side SATA power connectors on the 18 gauge cable itself, not just the device connection. So ok I have that.

That's really annoying then for Corsair to sate in the (attached) specs that you can go up to 4.5 AMps for the RGB and 4.5 for the Fans--without stating maximum total Amps for the Commander itself. I mean people could accidentally exceed 4.5 amps REALLY easily. For instance, my (2) 120mm radiator fan LEDS and Water Block take up a combined whopping 2.88 amps--just for the LEDs. That's without any other fan leds or strips.

For me, yes, I'll have to split the LEDs between my MB riser and the commander, although the four Noctua 1200 RPM 140mm fans I have and need to split off from the MB will be fine, since combined, they only use .32 amps.

So thanks much for all of that!

KNOWLEDGE VICTORY!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

I am talking about the device side connector. One more time: The weak link is the SATA power connector... Device side.

And fan motors use +12V while Corsair RGB lighting strips use +5V. So you wouldn't just add the current usage of the two. They're separate rails using different pins on the SATA power connector, so you can use up to 4.5A each rail (well.. Up to 7.5A because of the lack of ground pins, as ashiekh points out).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am talking about the device side connector. One more time: The weak link is the SATA power connector... Device side.

And fan motors use +12V while Corsair RGB lighting strips use +5V. So you wouldn't just add the current usage of the two. They're separate rails using different pins on the SATA power connector, so you can use up to 4.5A each rail (well.. Up to 7.5A because of the lack of ground pins, as ashiekh points out).

Just to be clear so I don;t blow it up, the Commander Pro will handle both 4.5 amps on the 5v pin and 4.5 amps on the 12v pin (I know you said that, but I want to make completely sure I understand)? (I assumed the connector would only handle a TOTAL of 4.5 amps, regardless). Damn. Another light went on!

I haven't forgotten about the 7.5 amps, but one thing at a time. "

Thanks again for staying with me on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

1.5A per SATA pin, 4.5A per rail (3 pins).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts

Just to be clear so I don;t blow it up, the Commander Pro will handle both 4.5 amps on the 5v pin and 4.5 amps on the 12v pin (I know you said that, but I want to make completely sure I understand)? (I assumed the connector would only handle a TOTAL of 4.5 amps, regardless). Damn. Another light went on!
    Correct.

Like I said earlier, it's 4.5A per rail. 1.5A per pin. Each "rail" uses three pins. You have three +12V pins, three +5V pins and three +3.3V pins. That's 4.5A for the +12V, 4.5A for the 3.3V and 4.5A for the +5V. But realistically, only 7.5A total because there's 5 ground pins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct.

Like I said earlier, it's 4.5A per rail. 1.5A per pin. Each "rail" uses three pins. You have three +12V pins, three +5V pins and three +3.3V pins. That's 4.5A for the +12V, 4.5A for the 3.3V and 4.5A for the +5V. But realistically, only 7.5A total because there's 5 ground pins.
    Got it. But now you now I have to ask about the 7.5 amps deal.

I don't expect you to explain how the ground pins affect total amps, but I would like to know if that limitation in Amps affects using only the 12v and 5v rails when using the Commander Pro (or any device that only uses 12/5v rails, and not the 3.3v rail)?

Leaving out the 3.3v rail, if I need the full 4.5 amps on the 5V side, am I going to get that?

Or, if I need 4.5 amps out of both the 5/12v rails, will I get that?

Thanks again.