Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which one to get?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back on topic:

Jonny, how much did your temperatures on the chipset on the a8n-sli drop when you stuffed on the blue fanned zalman? What about the square blue zalman heatsink?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I just bought the A8N-SLI SE. Great board so far. Not getting me to record setting overclocks, but it'll do the trick. I can already see 2 things about this board which I HATE.
    1. The Video card slot arrangement and the cpu arrangement, put together, won't let my thermalright xp90 with a 120mm on it to fit properly and the thermalright V1 on my card to fit properly. I have to use slot #2 in x8. No biggie.
    2. That chipset fan. ASDLFAEWJRITHAWOILEHRTJLAKSHFKJASDF I HATE IT. The rest of my pc is >22 db. This stupid fan is at least 35. Anyone wanna sell me a better chipset heatsink?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts

I don't know what the temp difference was, if any, but I'm not worried about it. The Zalman probably actually cools better. lol Those NB fans do suck big time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try the Evercool chipset fan. It is very quiet and isn't quite the screamer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade View Post
    Just a clarification (100% personal opinion):

I said I've been incredibly lucky with my DFI Lanparty and Expert boards. All my personal best benchmarking scores were set on these boards. The "learning curve" is indeed quite steep as I spent months tweaking and fine-tuning stuff. However, this has nothing to do with QC and should never be used as an excuse for poor QC. Indeed, I have helped many members with their DFI boards and MANY A TIME we could come to only one conclusion i.e RMA.

Would I use DFI in a mission critical application? --> Absolutely not! It is a personal-fun board for entusiasts, nothing more nothing less. As for DFI being industrial quality, heh...

The support forum has many knowledgeable members, but a few of the wankers who run the forum just make me sick. Add that to highly dodgy customer support and you really have a shitty situation. Thank God for newegg RMA's!

Edit#
    I either use Supermicro or ASUS on all builds for my Uni.
    Eh, true.
    DFI is for cranking
    Epox/MSI for Power Users
    Giga-byte if you want it uber stable.
    As for ASUS quality, Minor overclocks should not eliminate the life expectancy of the board. (aka an Overclocked ASUS just doesn't last)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The way I see it

DFI, for that overclock that no one will ever match. It seems no one ever beats the records set on the dfi.
    Asus / gigabyte / msi, just for... everyone. Great boards, great prices, but only a bit off from being the ultimate board.
    Abit, just all around goodness. I hit HTT speeds higher than i did with a DFI (DFI brought me to just under 298, Abit brings me to 300), while using less voltage (1.55 vs 1.4). I like Abit, but I wish it would be more mainstream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq View Post
    2. That chipset fan. ASDLFAEWJRITHAWOILEHRTJLAKSHFKJASDF I HATE IT. The rest of my pc is >22 db. This stupid fan is at least 35. Anyone wanna sell me a better chipset heatsink?
    Zalman ZM-NBF47/ZM-NB47J, Jing Ting, Thermalright HR-05.
    ABIT KN8 SLI has passive chipset cooling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I know about the Abit's with a heatpipe. I had one Abit AN8-32x.

The problem now is buying one of those heatsinks. Maybe someone will sell me a heatpipe from the -premium ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bbq View Post
    Yea, I know about the Abit's with a heatpipe. I had one Abit AN8-32x.

The problem now is buying one of those heatsinks. Maybe someone will sell me a heatpipe from the -premium ?
    umm why would you want that, when there are better, cheaper, and Quieter options out there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The heatpipe? Because it's a heatpipe, it'll cool the mosfets too (no heatsinks over them right now), it's quiet, and they go for cheap.