Thread: Choosing power supply for high power system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Choosing power supply for high power system

Hi all, I need to choose a power supply. I'll be building the system later this year but I need a power supply right now for powering an older system. I'll be aiming at the RTX 3080 and 4900X so assume ~320W and ~180W power draw for each, or just substitute 2080 Ti and 3950X in their place. I want to buy them from a local store so I can pick them up asap either today or tomorrow early.
    They have:
    Corsair RM 850x for $150
    THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF1 850W for $125
    XPG CORE REACTOR 850W for $115
    Bitfenix Whisper M 850W for also $115
    Riotoro ENIGMA G2 850W for $75

They are all 80+ Gold. I almost got the ENIGMA but the clerk said it's bad because it's an older model and only for lower power system and told me the corsair and thermaltake are the best, the others are ok but not as good. I took a pic of the serial number and it's "R1709" followed by a bunch of letters I assume this means production date? So can I safely go for the $75 one and save quite a bit or do I need to go for the $115/125 PSUs? Or go all the way for the $150 Corsair? I can spend more but the ENIGMA sounds like a killer deal I wouldn't want to miss. Before I always had Super Flower power supplies and was extremely satisfied but they don't have any and I need a power supply asap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Riotoro Enigma G2 is a Seasonic Focus, depending on the manufacturing date (and i'm not sure what that serial number means, 9th week of 2017 ?) either Plus Gold or GX, the former has problems with high transient power draw GPUs compatibility, and since we don't know how power hungry RTX3080 would be i'd refrain from buying it even though it's so cheap. Next best option is Bitfenix Whisper, 7 years warranty, less than 10 years on TT GF1 and Corsair RMx but IMO it's already long enough and it's a very good PSU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, thanks for reply. I was in the store and someone bought the Bitfenix power supply so I have to choose between the XPG CORE REACTOR and THERMALTAKE GF1. Which do you think is better?
    FWIW I've also been told they have an open box Riotoro Builder Edition 1200W without cables for the same price. Which would be the best out of all of them?
    Last edited by johnallen; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Well, XPG, Thermaltake, Bitfenix and Corsair PSUs all made by CWT so in terms of quality there are practically no difference. XPG one is a bit worse performance wise than TT GF1 and Corsair RMx but really, the difference is rather minor so i suggest going for XPG then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read a few reviews and the XPG was quite louder than the thermaltake and corsair so I settled on thermaltake before reading online what nightmare their RMA is compared to Corsair so in the end I got the corsair one not to mention the store bumped the price $5 on thermaltake due to "low stock" which I think was BS and defo not buying there anymore.
    RMA might not ever be necessary but if they're as good as Super Flower who I remember sending me a 1000w replacement for a 800w half a world across for free then I supppse $20 extra is worth it.

Anyway thanks a lot for the help Juular, I really appreciate your input.