Thread: EPS and PCIE Cable Dilemma for RM650i on X570 mobo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default EPS and PCIE Cable Dilemma for RM650i on X570 mobo

Hi,

My Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi comes with both an 8 Pin and a 4 Pin EPS Connector.

Since my Corsair RM650i came with only 1, I had one shipped, hopefully its ok since im not sure if it has the Capacitor that the stock one that came with the PSU.

I need both plugged for stability as I overclocked both the CPU (3700x) and memory (Samsung B-Die).

This leaves only 1 slot on the PSU left for the GPU, which is a 2070 Super.

My dillemma is, is it ok to use the single PCIE 6+2 cable with splitter for the GPU using the 8-pin and 6-pin, and leave the PSU in multi-rail mode?

Or will it be better to turn the multi-rail to single rail via Corsair Link?

Finally, will it be best to unplug the 4-PIN EPS and just place the 2nd PCIE cable to the GPU 6-pin? Im afraid if I do this, my overclocks would become unstable.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Edit: Note that I only have 3 12V connectors max on the PSU:
    psu_rear.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlcamper View Post
    Hi,

My Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi comes with both an 8 Pin and a 4 Pin EPS Connector.
    Yes. But it's highly unlikely you need to have both populated.

Since my Corsair RM650i came with only 1, I had one shipped, hopefully its ok since im not sure if it has the Capacitor that the stock one that came with the PSU.
    The capacitors make zero difference. But the pinout does. What cable did you order and from where?

[QUOTE=carlcamper;164433]I need both plugged for stability as I overclocked both the CPU (3700x) and memory (Samsung B-Die). [quote]

Even an overclocked 65W CPU doesn't need 12 power pins and the memory doesn't use +12V rail via the EPS12V or ATX12V power connectors.

This leaves only 1 slot on the PSU left for the GPU, which is a 2070 Super.

My dillemma is, is it ok to use the single PCIE 6+2 cable with splitter for the GPU using the 8-pin and 6-pin, and leave the PSU in multi-rail mode?
    You can actually use one PCIe cable with the two connectors AND leave the PSU in multi-rail mode because a 2070 doesn't use that much power. I have a test rig in the office running a 2070 Super on a single PCIe cable on a CV650 and have no issues. So, there's that.

The only time you need two PCIe cables is if you have a 2080 Ti or Vega 64, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply Jon! I've actually disconnected the 4 pin EPS and connected the additional PCIE to the GPU's 6-pin. I'll retest the CPU and memory overclocks if they are still stable. If yes, I'll leave it in this config and won't change the multi-rail to single rail. Hope this is sound!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My rationale with the aforementioned change is, this way, I am using all the stock OEM cables, thus eliminating the chance of a faulty 3rd party EPS cable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, I plan to upgrade to a 3090 / 3080 TI Ampere card once it comes out. Since you mentioned the 2080 TI needs 2 PCI separate cables, this would be the ideal setup without replacing the Power Supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overclocks still seem stable! Looks like I'll leave the 4 Pin EPS disconnected and used dual PCI Cables moving forward! Thanks Jon!

By the way, heres the link to the EPS Cable I ordered: https://shopee.ph/product/129174538/2208285209

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    388 Posts

By the way, heres the link to the EPS Cable I ordered: https://shopee.ph/product/129174538/2208285209
    Interestng. Well, ₱115 is certainly cheap for a cable!