Thread: Can you help me choose between these PSUs for my girlfriend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Can you help me choose between these PSUs for my girlfriend?

G'day folks. Can I get some opinions on these PSUs from the pros here?

I need a 650W minimum PSU for my girlfriend's build here: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/tabikaeru/saved/bkGMvK

It's basically a toss up between these PSUs (in order of price):

Seasonic FOCUS PX-650 Platinum (135 euros) 10 year warranty
    Corsair RM650x 650W Gold (119 euros) 7 year warranty
    Fractal ION+ 660W Platinum (114 euros) 10 year warranty
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 Gold (112 euros) 7 year warranty
    SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 650 W 80+ Gold (81 euros) 5 year warranty. Unfortunately the 750W for only 10 euros more seems out of stock here

Most important factors are:

• Stability
    • Warranty
    • Noise

The machine will be spent doing mostly web work, so efficiency would be nice too but it's not mega important.

Can I get some opinions?

P.S. Quick note. I have hundreds of PSU cables of all sorts lying around so cable types or quantity don't matter with each model. Connection quantity does matter but she'll only be using 1 GPU.
    Last edited by whyaudiowhy; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Corsair RM650x and FD ION+ 660P win in stability, noise and warranty. RM650x has 10 year warranty, not 7.
    All other PSUs are either less stable, lesser quality, or noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by whyaudiowhy View Post
    P.S. Quick note. I have hundreds of PSU cables of all sorts lying around so cable types or quantity don't matter with each model.
    That's a quick way to (at the very very worst) fry your hardware - modular power supply cables are not interchangeable between brands and not even between different models of the same brand, unless the specific brand made special effort to standardize their sockets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That's a quick way to (at the very very worst) fry your hardware - modular power supply cables are not interchangeable between brands and not even between different models of the same brand, unless the specific brand made special effort to standardize their sockets.
    Oh wow. I literally had no idea what-so-ever. I guess I've got hundreds of cables from past builds to throw away then?
    Crikey, I'll have to also make sure I didn't mix of the spares up between the older ones for my current 2 PCs...

That's really surprising because I read so many reports from people who didn't like the cables their PSU came with, so they bought others in different colours/rigidity etc. and I haven't even ever heard of this being a problem.

Also does the Corsair really have a 10 year warranty? It literally says 7 years right on that link to their website in the OP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Also does the Corsair really have a 10 year warranty? It literally says 7 years right on that link to their website in the OP.
    Yes, it's 10 year warranty. It only used to have 7 year warranty for the first year or so. Here's what I see:

Corsair RM650x 650W Gold (119 euros) 7 year warranty

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

That's really surprising because I read so many reports from people who didn't like the cables their PSU came with, so they bought others in different colours/rigidity etc. and I haven't even ever heard of this being a problem.
    That's entirely possible if you get right cables, Corsair Type 4 pinout in the case of Corsair RMx, but general rule is that you don't blindly plug in modular cables from one PSU into another even if they fit. Heck, on some PSUs even cables for different connectors may fit but not be electrically compatible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the 760W version of the Fractal ION+ Platinum.

The main reasons were:

1. It's available in a store really close by
    2. The cables are apparently VERY flexible and my girlfriend's case (haven't got it yet) has been reviewed to be very difficult to route rigid cables in
    3. It's apparently almost totally silent and only runs at 800rpm at 80% full load, where the fan doesn't even run until it starts using at least 300W and even then it only ramps up to about 300rpm
    4. It's Platinum certified
    5. The price was right at 134

The estimated power draw of my girlfriend's PC is around 400W at full load even under pretty heavy OC. So in most cases it will be using roughly 50% of the PSU's capacity. This means it should remain very efficient. I would have shelled out another 12 for the 860W version again just for headroom, lower heat generated by the PSU and more efficiency but it was sold out everywhere in my country until estimated end of July.

Thanks again for your replies. I learned some very valuable information.

I'll be back in a few weeks to give my general impressions of the device after some time using it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juular View Post
    That's entirely possible if you get right cables, Corsair Type 4 pinout in the case of Corsair RMx, but general rule is that you don't blindly plug in modular cables from one PSU into another even if they fit. Heck, on some PSUs even cables for different connectors may fit but not be electrically compatible.
    Does anyone have a matrix showing plug types and pin mapping for modular PSUs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdjacobs View Post
    Jon have went out of his way to make one for Corsair and some CWT / Seasonic PSUs (since they use the same platforms), don't expect to find anything like that for other brands tho.
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/show...ty-and-pinouts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

P.S. Quick note. I have hundreds of PSU cables of all sorts lying around so cable types or quantity don't matter with each model. Connection quantity does matter but she'll only be using 1 GPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdjacobs View Post

Check the connections for the cable you want to use and rearrange the pins if necessary to match the original.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Check the connections for the cable you want to use and rearrange the pins if necessary to match the original.
    Use a meter that shows 12v/5v/3.3v/0v coming from the PSU.
    Core i7 4770K @4.3GHz + iGPU | GA-Z87X-UD4H | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3@1600MHz
    Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink w/ 2 x 140mm NF-A14 PWM fans
    Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | WD Black 4TB file disk | WD Red 3TB backup disk
    Fractal Design Define R5 case w/2 x NF-A14 ULN front fans | no exhaust fan; grill removed
    PSU Seasonic X-650 Gold