Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMPSU-750TX works for a minute then shuts down, repair advice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CMPSU-750TX works for a minute then shuts down, repair advice?

I have a corsair TX750 Bronze CPU that saw use for quite a few years and now seemingly has failed. It will power up the system for a few minutes then shuts down. Its as if a safety system (current limiter?) decided there was an issue and shut it down. I poped it open and didn't see any obvious burn marks or swollen caps, but I am far from an expert.

I have a son in electrical engineering and thought fixing this thing would be a fun project together if we can get it done. We previously replaced some swollen caps in a display, and have pencil iron DMM and willing to pick up other reasonable tools to diagnose.

where to start...

If we can't get it to work, I need to buy a replacement and covid has PSU prices sky high... I have a EVGA 650 P2 ordered for 165 can$ but its out of stock not shipped yet.

I will initially use this on a docler / plex server with an Asus prime z370 w i5-9600k 6-8 3.5" HDD before it is done and possible a transcode GPU in a year or two.

all advice is appreciated

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mervincm View Post
    I poped it open and didn't see any obvious burn marks or swollen caps, but I am far from an expert.

Could it be the CPU that is over-heating and shutting things down? (Speccy will tell you the CPU temperatures).

Run a desk fan into the open computer to be sure it is not a heat issue (in case the supply fan is not kicking in)

Have you tried reducing the load (remove the hard drive and video card) to see if that changes anything.

Some Digital Multi-Meters can measure capacitance and even a slight dome on the top of a capacitor is bad news; better would be to measure the ESR (equivalent series resistance), but if all you can measure is capacitance, start with that.
    Last edited by ashiekh; 06-24-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Could it be the CPU that is over-heating and shutting things down? (Speccy will tell you the CPU temperatures).

Run a desk fan into the open computer to be sure it is not a heat issue (in case the supply fan is not kicking in)

Have you tried reducing the load (remove the hard drive and video card) to see if that changes anything.

Some Digital Multi-Meters can measure capacitance and even a slight dome on the top of a capacitor is bad news; better would be to measure the ESR (equivalent series resistance), but if all you can measure is capacitance, start with that.
    I moved the PSU to a completely separate PC and it shut down similarly. I am confident it is not the PC it self.

It starts up long enough to start an OS installation but not finish one. It acts the same with a bare minimum of components (1 SSD, 1 stick RAM, CPU fan only, boot USB stick, no video card) temporarily ran the system with a PSU borrowed from another system and its just fine.

The DMM I currently have is a TackLife DM01M, it does capacitance.
    https://manuall.co.uk/tacklife-dm01m-multimeter/
    Last edited by mervincm; 06-25-2020 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I should also point out that it will actually sit in the bios without restarting. it just seems to restart when you put it under a little bit of stress. it behaves this way with multiple systems and both systems work with another PSU, so I am pretty confident that it is the PSU that has failed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Do you ever see the power supply fan come on?

Is it still under warrantee?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Do you ever see the power supply fan come on?

Is it still under warrantee?
    Yes it does, the PSU fan comes on as expected at initial power - on
    No it is not under warranty, if I can't fix it and have to toss it out it's not that big a deal.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Catego.../p/CMPSU-750TX

This is the model, it made by channelwell , been around since 2008, but was decent enough in its day

https://www.overclockersclub.com/rev...r_tx750w/5.htm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Great excuse to get a new supply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts

Yeah it's better to replace your old CWT PSH PSU. It won't like a modern PC anyway, not even if it was new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya I am coming around to that thought as well. I have the EVGA 650W P2 on its way, so, this one would really be designated to "on the shelf spare part" role. Was hoping it could be a way to spend some time with the kid if it isn't useful for even that role, I guess it should go back in the recycle pile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

Spares are good, would allow you to wait for a good price on what you need.