Thread: Picking a gaming CPU

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Picking a gaming CPU

Looking to build my first gaming PC canít decide between Intel or Amd and YouTube is no help all videos contradict each other. Looking to spend 1300 all togethehttps://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip https://testmyspeed.onl
    r. Please help.
    Last edited by pedrocevil4; 06-25-2020 at 03:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

How much is to be saved these days by building ones own as opposed to getting a prebuilt alienware for example? The price saving on Windows 10 alone is probably quite a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    417 Posts

I go back and forth, as does the industry. The CPU market is constantly one company trying to outdo the other.

Today? It's Ryzen. Just updated both my and my daughter's PCs with 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs.

But which one to get is strictly a budget thing.

I suggest you go to PC Part Picker, find out the total cost for all of the other parts you want and if you have a hard $1300 budget, see what's left over for CPU.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me it starts with your display. your display will set the maximum resolution and refresh rate that you can achieve.
    Then pick your mouse and keyboard. These hands on items imacpt every game you play, every application you use.
    Then consider noise, must you have silence, or is a small amount of fan noise when gaming or even all the time
    Then consider aesthetics, are you willing to sacrifice for the look of your system, RGB etc, or is a but ugly, but higher quality / better performing system more your style.
    with those in mind
    find the least expensive case/PSU that has the feature you NEED and value
    find the least expensive motherboard/CPU combo has the features/performance you NEED / value
    find the least expensive primary storage for (SSD) for OS and game storage (cheap SSD or even HDD)
    add in fixed costs like OS etc

Now you know how much money is left over for the item that matters the most for most game performance, graphics card
    Pick your pick your graphics card based on your display and your target games. Do not pay for performance way past what your display can provide or your games require.
    have any money left over? if so, go back and bump up your CPU and PSU if appropriate.
    still have money left over? up your choices to better quality items, more optional features etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Hard to pick the right power supply if one hasn't decided on a graphics card.

I assume Windows Home is all that is needed for a gaming machine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ashiekh For This Useful Post:

mervincm (06-25-2020)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashiekh View Post
    Hard to pick the right power supply if one hasn't decided on a graphics card.

I assume Windows Home is all that is needed for a gaming machine.
    You are correct, it is possible that you get your self in trouble that way, but in a 1300$ gaming system, its not like you are gonna end up with a titan RTX or a Radeon 7. There's not that much difference in power draw between the cards that fit in that budget. But yes, the very last step should be a sanity check, does this all, as a system, make sense.